Venison sausage and hot dogs

NYBowhunter

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Nice job!  I heard hotdogs are quite the job (triple grind and cooling).  I was lazy this year and brought 40lbs to constanzas which will yields 40lbs of dogs and 50lbs of sausage.  But being lazy ain't cheap.

Either way your in it for alot of money or alot of time. Before all was said and done and all was packaged, went to bed at 1am, started at like 5pm. Yes the dogs are more time consuming, did a double grind,  then boiled the dogs, then they got an ice bath. Me and my little guy were taste testing all night...lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

yeah if you don't mind sharing, as well has your process. gettign the texture right and not drying them out seems to be a difficult for me. 

5lbs venison, 5 lbs fatty pork, both ground using larger  grinding plate. Ingredients:

4 oz non iodized salt (i use kosher salt)

1/2 cup soy protien powder

Pinch of sugar, black pepper,  garlic powder, paprika, coriander, celery salt, then add 1/2 cup cold water to every thing and mix all very well. After all mixed well run the ground meat through the grinder a second time using the fine grinder plate. Set the meat aside in fridge for 1/2 hour. Then can stuff franks in either sheep or collogan edible casings. I used 21mm cologen casings, some opened when boiled so next time may try natural sheep casings. Once all 10 lbs were stuffed, i blanched them in hot water until cooked. Then placed them in a cold water /ice bath. Once cooled they were cut to size then vacumn sealed. Once eaten i think they will do best barbecued, if boiled again i think the collogen casings may peel. To be honest, we peeled the collagen casings off a few after they were boiled and they were still great. Barbecuing them with the collegen casings will just give you a little more of a bite. 

2 hours ago, tommyc50 said:

wow so cool iwant to make my with venison or a venison pork mix  but maybe you guys can help me my venison is frozen and if i make fresh sausage can i refreeze them. i only made sausages with fresh  pork shoulder

Thats not a problem, i usually freeze all my venison chopmeat in 1 1/2lb.  packages because we use it for burgers, meatballs..etc. When im ready to make sausuage, dry sausauge  or franks i just defrost a bunch of venison chopmeat packages then refreeze the final product.