out for youth weekend / do you agree with it?

G-Man

How many hunters will be taking out some youth for the spring youth weekend? I hear a lot of complaints that hunters just go out themselves eary and shoot a bird(illegally) should they stop the youth hunt as its the father's shooting the bird not the kid?? What are your thought's??

regardles of what is done, there are always going to be some who break the rules.  If you stopped everything where that happened, you would have stop hunting entirely.  All we can do is hope that people do what is right, and those who do not, get caught. I personally will be taking one young man out Saturday morning and a young lady on Sunday.

regardles of what is done, there are always going to be some who break the rules.  If you stopped everything where that happened, you would have stop hunting entirely.  All we can do is hope that people do what is right, and those who do not, get caught.

When we got this through (NY NWTF chapter) we heard a lot of disturbing stories of guys sneaking out, guys grabbing the shotgun and shooting the bird right in front of the youth, and so on. Real low life to do that to a kid. Guiding the youth during this special hunt allow the adult to enjoy 99% of the hunt, the kid 100%. Many years I borrow a kid to go as my children are grown up. Priceless to have a youth enjoy the experience as we do.

Yep, i always take a kid if i can find one..they keep getting older and my nephews arn't old enough yet. Just brought this up as a few guys at work keep complainig about the adult shoting the bird. I said well if you know they are doing it (hunting without a kid report them..)

Most of the low lifes that would do such a thing would be out shooting birds prior to season on thier own if the youth hunt was not in effect...

I think that the youth hunt is a great thing and helps encourage young hunters to continue our hunting tradition..

I don't have a kid to take out ( my daughter has been a little SLOW in providing me with a grandkid)  but I would certainly BORROW a youth to take hunting, except for the fact that youth weekend conflicts with the Ontario opener, which I would not want to miss..

nycoyotehounds..BUB

That's really great. No better way to teach a kid than that. I have little guys at 2 and 4. The 4 year old has been out scouting with me and he has been out hunting squirels with me. This May he will be in the tent with me for gobblers. The 2 year old rides in the back pack for scouting trips and trout fishing. 

I love the youth hunt and wish they would add one for deer. To be able to concentrate on getting a youngster onto a bird is just plain awesome. I think I would be more excited to watch one of my kids get a big tom than if I shot it myself.

For the scum bags who break the law - karma is a bitch.

screamon demon; It's awsome calling one in for your kid! I did a fan/pic mount with my son's first bird. Wasn't so long ago there was alot more youth restrictions. Nowadays I have some grandkids your kids age - hope I can still get out and call for them someday, or remember how :D.

I have taken a couple of kids on youth weekend. It is a great experience for the youngster and myself. The anticipation builds listening to the tom gobbling and getting closer. Nothing beats a kid's smile and excitement when he shoots his first bird.

Just too bad it is on Easter weekend this year.

My opinion is that its a load of crap..ive gone with a neighbors kid to try to get it on video..but found myself wonderin why..how ever did anyone 10 yrs ago at that age get a bird..and if ya take yer kid regular season..let him hammer the first one..then ya got issues of overcallin and i feel the birds wise up..good intentioned..but i see it as a good excuse for abusers to get another tag

My opinion is that its a load of crap..ive gone with a neighbors kid to try to get it on video..but found myself wonderin why..how ever did anyone 10 yrs ago at that age get a bird..and if ya take yer kid regular season..let him hammer the first one..then ya got issues of overcallin and i feel the birds wise up..good intentioned..but i see it as a good excuse for abusers to get another tag

this guy thinks everything is some kind of scam, if he looks in a mirror he will be seeing the real scam in his life.....

i think the youth hunting weekend is awesome and i think NY should do more to get our youth into the woods, nothing wrong with it in any way, right as rain, plain and simple!!

I have learned to just ignore that person's replys and skip to the next one and read it . Life is too short to be bothered with someone like that!

My dad always told me, he who argues with a fool is a fool himself.

I wish there was a youth hunt when I started hunting 40 years ago, maybe we would have more hunters these days.

I think it's a great idea and i'll be taking a friends son here in Pa on Saturday. Neither of his parents hunt so I feel it's a great oppurtunity to introduce someone to the great sport of turkey hunting. If he doesn't end up hunting in the future thats fine but maybe he'll at least remeber it when he is old enough to vote