Would these be considered "Barbed"

burmjohn

they look pretty sweet to me, thats why I am curious.

My first impression is that there is an awful lot of "non-cutting" frontal surface that must be shoved through the meat. I don't know, but a lot of that looks like stuff that would inhibit penetration. That's just a guess of course. They do look like a pretty sturdy broadhead. The in-flight size of the head is still 1", which I would guess gives back a lot of the advantage that people are looking for in collapsible mechanical broadheads. All of that mechanism only adds 1/2" to the cutting diameter. 

More info: http://www.newarchery.com/products/1-1/broadheads/bloodrunner.html

As far as whether or not the deployed blades act like a barb, that of course depends on whether the blades collapse back down when pulled backward through meat. I guess that is the real test at least I think that was the intent, that an arrow in a non-vital spot should have the ability to come back out without hooking. I'm not sure that head actually does. It kind of looks like it might not. I can't see how a force on the back of the blades in a line with the axis of the arrow would make those blades go down. Can't really tell a lot from a picture though.

Doc

The video shows the blades do not fold forward and thus are barbed. If the animal try's to pull it out it will only open wider. Which may be good because it will just make a bigger hole causing more bleeding  but is still illegal for use in NY. Use what you want but if you get checked by a Warden you will probably be fined in my opinion. And I agree with doc they seem very bulky, would need some serious stank and tuning behind them for them to work right.

Okay ..... the springloaded feature may save the legality of them. Apparently unless they are moving forward through something, they collapse back down by themselves. Note that in the video, everytime she backed off the pressure on the tip, the blades retracted. That means that as soon as the come to rest, the blades collapse. In the collapsed position, the profile is not in the legally defined "barbed" configuration.

That all does bring up some interesting questions about how well those blades might deploy. It is only the force on that little tip that forces them into an open position and yet you have all that force on the much wider blades themselves that is trying to keep them closed. I'm sure it must work or they wouldn't have invested all that money to make and market them, but it's not real obvious that they would be all that reliable. Again, watching videos and reading words does not beat having the things in your hands to actually mess around with. It sure is an interesting concept.

Doc

If they are legal that would really give a nice opening at 1 1/2 inches.  One question I have is What about pennetration?  Being that it's actiong almost like a shock absorber, would that give less chances of a pass through?  With a solid broadhead all the energy is on the solid broadhead, on these it has that spring taking some of that away. 

Result could be a bigger hole but no pass through. 

I saw another video on the 2-bladed version of these things. Those definitely would be illegal in NY since even in the collapsed position they form a barbed head. But man, what a nasty cut. When deployed these things form a cutting width that is greater than 2". They showed a couple of few boars where they used them and the damage was very convincing. They seemed to have no problem getting entrance and exit wounds. The 2-blade version uses the same principle and the same kind of mechanism to deploy the blades as the 3 blade. I guess I am convinced that the principle works as long as you have enough bow poundage to shove all that stuff through an animal.

Doc

The 3 blades are NOT barbed, compare the definition of a barbed broadhead pics from the NY hunting regs...

broadhd.gif

with the profile of a bloodrunner in the closed position...

nap_bloodrunner.gif

the broadhead is spring loaded, so if you pull back on the arrow, it goes back to the closed position and comes out just as easy as a fixed blade head.

The 2 blade bloodrunner is barbed and not legal here.

It would be interesting to actually have one to mess around with. The question that comes to mind is, can the pressure of pulling that head backwards through the meat, act on the back end of each blade and overcome the spring and re-deploy the blades again. It looks like maybe it could. Then that would make it back into a barbed configuration. It didn't look like the spring force was really all that great. That's probably going a bit overboard and over-thinking the issue a bit.....lol. I doubt the DEC gets all that involved.

Doc

It would be physically impossible for the back side of the blades to move backwards against the force of the meat and bone pushing against them. The meat would help to push them back into their original position. The broadhead would need to lock into its full open position to remain barbed. They are not designed to lock in any way.

While they look a bit too complicated for my taste, Id probably try them out if I didnt pay for them lol.

• 1 month later...

There's a lot of talk about the amount of force needed to deploy the blades, it's right around 23 pounds. My coworker and I opened a pack at work and used a scale to measure it.  Whether or not that's too stiff to deploy in an animal I'll let you decide.  One big advantage of the design though is that even if it fails to deploy you still have a fixed blade capable of over a 1 inch cut(in the two blade version).  As far as legality of the two blade, in the closed position it definitely looks barbed.  If you want to see its effectiveness though there's a great video on youtube of a guy in Africa shooting an Eland with one and the blood is literally pouring out of it. 

One last point of consideration I've heard reports of them being extremely loud in flight.