Your "Go-To" varmint call

Doc

Just got a foxpro last year and haven’t killed a thing with it. Been out with it only 2x I think  Johnny Stewart cassette caller before with cottontail distress yielded me 10 or so red fox  Coyotes !? No idea , still have never killed one calling 9F

Edited by turkeyfeathers

No recorded calls but many years ago, I had a red fox come in to a dying-rabbit mouth call in the late morning (around 10 am).  That was before predator hunting was very popular.  It got within 15 yards of me.  I was not able to get off a shot with my .22 single-shot.    It was moving fast and really took off when it caught my sent, never offering a good shot.   I was wishing I had a full-choke shotgun loaded with #4's.   That is what I have used to kill a few red foxes in the years since then.  They also responded to the dying-rabbit mouth call, but were all taken on snowy moonlit nights, usually between 8 pm and 10 pm.   I have never visually identified a coyote responding to that call, but I may have heard a few (if they were not foxes).   They seem to have a real knack for getting down-wind before exposing themselves.   

I have had the most luck on coyotes without a call.   They respond well to the scent of a deer (or other) carcass.   I throw my butchering remains, as well as the occasional road kill, on a pile that is about 100 yards behind my bedroom window.   I still have to search that pile for the lower jaw of this year's crossbow buck, so Doewacker can properly age it.  There is an untouched (except for a missing tail) semi-frozen road-kill doe out there right now, but the snow has melted and there is not much moon.  If she thaws a bit more and starts throwing some scent, and the moon and snow cooperate before the end of June, I might see some action.  All this action is in zone 9F  

Edited by wolc123

Many moons ago, when I was a mere wisp of a lad, a friend and I killed a bunch of grey foxes with a Johhny Stewart 45 RPM record player and  a grey fox pup in distress recording...Best night we ever had we called in 18 foxes, although 2 or 3 per night was a much  more realistic expectation... We never killed a red...Only ever had one come within shotgun range and my partner missed him..  We tried the dying rabbit and called in a few, but the grey fox pup was far superior... We always used a shotgun with #4 shot, and most of our shots were well within  50 yards, many much closer.. 

• Like 1

A disclaimer, no way would I consider myself any kind of expert varmint caller. I get into a few varmints when just out hunting for anything during small game season that walks crawls or flies with my dogs. I almost always carry a varmint call in my pocket when hunting, many times they have livened things up on a slow day.

The vast majority of my varmint hunting takes place early mornings. I have had my best luck on Fox and Coyote with some sort of dying Rabbit call, I use both hand calls and electronic callers. I have called a few Coon with an electronic caller playing Woodpecker in distress call and also got a few to leave dens and show themselves with squaller type call.  The Fox taken below was called in with a little low cost Phantom electronic pocket size call while out Squirrel hunting. just doing a bit of calling between stands.2575567480033835012iICaLp_ph.jpg.e84a34a8c85f6524bb30a1d59d3bb5f8.jpg

2046130510033835012VzVvUS_fs.jpg

Edited by airedale

I've had my Foxpro for 3 seasons and I like it, but to be honest I've called in more preds by kissing the back of my hand or thumbnail. I could rival the best call on the market.
Red fox normally like more of a squeaky sound at low-mid volume. Grey fox will run up your leg with most any sound/volume. Coyotes are smart and most have been educated quite well. It's safe to bet that every coyote in the state has heard Bay Bee Cottontail or Titmouse Tantrum at least a dozen times.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk