Where to hunt

G-Man

So another post had me thinking .. this is a piece of my property and I know the most productive stand sites having owned it over 25 years.. so let's play a game.. best spot for general deer hunting and best spot for a mature buck.. I'd give prizes if I had any but  best I can do is a pat on the back.. just for general info the most productive spot has produced over 70 deer in 24 years. ( I exclude my friends on this site that hunt with me sorry tom, shawn, and tim)

before some one says omg your giving away a spot to hunt

. I live here and have the fall off to hunt. Not to mention yes it's posted and I have friends who hunt it as well.

I hope this is educational.. for those that have trouble interpreting maps and Ariel photos.

Screenshot_20180319-212634.thumb.jpg.be7b9e3bcfe4ad1418acbe9fcff4b4fb.jpgScreenshot_20180319-212658.thumb.jpg.3cefb34ed25f13263db6e9ad3a1a44a6.jpg

• Like 2

1st thing you should all notice is the differences in the topo to actual Ariel photo.. the timber marked on the topo is no longer correct as many fields have become over grown .. this provides browse and cover that doesn't show on the topo. 

2nd Is the timber marked on the topo is still there and presumably is Now older and mature.. though some shows sign of logging in the arial

33 minutes ago, G-Man said:

1st thing you should all notice is the differences in the topo to actual Ariel photo.. the timber marked on the topo is no longer correct as many fields have become over grown .. this provides browse and cover that doesn't show on the topo. 

2nd Is the timber marked on the topo is still there and presumably is Now older and mature.. though some shows sign of logging in the arial

Only see the aerial pic, no topo.

Capture_edit.thumb.PNG.745cc536419d383db1a5845c2b8f123d.PNG

i could ask a ton of questions like what you've done where, where it's more open vs thined, where different conifers or hardwoods are, etc. any expert, which i'm not, would still have put boots on the ground.
1 - seems like a good ambush spot to funnel deer going out to feed on what might be CRP in evening or anytime just running the top of the ridge.

2 - saddles or benches are always good to catch bucks cruising. i'd be cautious of going in if deer bed there at some point. access is whichever road and when you won't bump deer.

5 - is an alternate to #2 in that deer might travel one side or the other. still need to be cautious of bedding bucks. might even be a better spot during the rut for bucks scent checking either day time bedded doe above or feeding staged deer to the west.  access is whichever road and when you won't bump deer.

8 - with heavy pressure i think a good buck cruising could go through here to take the hedge row and cross the road. with the right wind i'd access it from the road on the south side of the hedge row so deer above possibly bedding won't watch you walk in.

3A and B - alternate stands for wind but probably good early season spots. i don't think it's a swamp with thick cover or i'd hunt it later too.

4 - no idea if you own it. i figured to stay away from the edge of the map. i think it'd be a good spot for multiple reasons. easy quick access is one. seems like a spot with intersecting trails.

7 - not sure what's growing here to determine exact spot but looks like diversity of changing cover and deer like that.

6 - i have to think deer run this creek on the high side. can't tell but any shallow crossings or how the banks run might show a good spot.

that's my best shot in the dark of what MIGHT be going on.  i guess we'll find out.  it'll be interesting to go back and look what others said.

Edited by dbHunterNY
forgot pic

49 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

Capture_edit.thumb.PNG.745cc536419d383db1a5845c2b8f123d.PNG

i could ask a ton of questions like what you've done where, where it's more open vs thined, where different conifers or hardwoods are, etc. any expert, which i'm not, would still have put boots on the ground.
1 - seems like a good ambush spot to funnel deer going out to feed on what might be CRP in evening or anytime just running the top of the ridge.

2 - saddles or benches are always good to catch bucks cruising. i'd be cautious of going in if deer bed there at some point. access is whichever road and when you won't bump deer.

5 - is an alternate to #2 in that deer might travel one side or the other. still need to be cautious of bedding bucks. might even be a better spot during the rut for bucks scent checking either day time bedded doe above or feeding staged deer to the west.  access is whichever road and when you won't bump deer.

8 - with heavy pressure i think a good buck cruising could go through here to take the hedge row and cross the road. with the right wind i'd access it from the road on the south side of the hedge row so deer above possibly bedding won't watch you walk in.

3A and B - alternate stands for wind but probably good early season spots. i don't think it's a swamp with thick cover or i'd hunt it later too.

4 - no idea if you own it. i figured to stay away from the edge of the map. i think it'd be a good spot for multiple reasons. easy quick access is one. seems like a spot with intersecting trails.

7 - not sure what's growing here to determine exact spot but looks like diversity of changing cover and deer like that.

6 - i have to think deer run this creek on the high side. can't tell but any shallow crossings or how the banks run might show a good spot.

that's my best shot in the dark of what MIGHT be going on.  i guess we'll find out.  it'll be interesting to go back and look what others said.

I can give you no information on 4 as I do not have access to it. Your 3a and b are either side of a swamp a is used for bedding but both spots are usually bad by time season comes due to the neighbors travel route( always have a good entrance and exit) 1 is probably one of the best early spots for general deer movement after that again the neighbors travel route makes it a desert for gun.. I'll speak on. Others spots later

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

1 best amt deer
2 big bucks20180320_101019.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Your area 2 is chocked with deer and in 25 years I have still not found a way to enter it without spooning them out.. we usually reserve that area for drives as it's very steep and every tree is covered in thorns( or at least it seem like it) 99% of the time this is kept as a sanctuary do to lack proper entrance and visability is less than 10 yards in most places. 1 is a decent spot but no where near the best.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Buy good boots (not a tree stand) and hunt the entire thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have over 40 stands and I have for.25 years wlaked except 2 sanctuary that are more important than food plots

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1