Remington 700 VTR

Just ordered the Remington 700 VTR in .308 caliber.  This will be my main rifle.  I plan to hunt big game as well a coyotes with this.  I thought of getting a .223 for coyotes and 'coons and a .308/30-06 for big games but figured I simply didn't have the money for two rifles so I settled on the .308 since I am not all that interested in preserving the pelt.

Anybody owns one of these?  Recommendations on a scope, etc?

5-7 business days for shipping seems like forever!

I think the only advantage the VTR model has over the other M700's is that it has a 22" barrel, which I think is more than long enough for a .308 or the other standard calibers.  For the life of me I can't understand why Remington makes most of it's M700 models in 24" for standard calibers and 26" for the magnums.  Only the old BDL and mountain rifle and now the VTR can you get a 22" incher for standard calibers.  24" is just too long for my taste and the little added velocity you might get means absolutely nothing in the field.

Hmmm...never thought about the extra noise from the muzzle.  Products been paid for and shipped already so there's no turning back now.  Besides, I've held the .223 version in my hands and immediately knew that was going to be my gun so noise be damned.  I'm hoping hearing protection will help.  I always hunt with them.  Their usually slung over my neck and I put them on when I'm ready to shoot.

My new toy came in.  Like a kid after Christmas I left work early to drive to the dealership and pick it up.  Mount a Nikon ProStaff 3-9X40 on top of it.  A year ago I would never imagine that I would be excited about getting my first big game rifle or sitting in my office during the summer day dreaming about hunting.

post-1898-131455445447_thumb.jpg