Recommended Posts

Any try deer hunting with this caliber?  I have a credit to use up with Stag Arms and thinking of ordering an upper in this caliber.  It looks pretty good for deer hunting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a rifle in 6.8SPC ready to go for deer hunting prior to un-SAFE.  Plenty of ammo choices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

I had a rifle in 6.8SPC ready to go for deer hunting prior to un-SAFE.  Plenty of ammo choices.

Pin it and shoot it.  I guess its technically SPC II but I don't think anyone make the prior version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Any try deer hunting with this caliber?  I have a credit to use up with Stag Arms and thinking of ordering an upper in this caliber.  It looks pretty good for deer hunting. 

I am a big advocate for the 6.8spc. I got two buddies on board with using it for deer ( all three of us have the stag 7h upper). I have shot several deer the past couple years with it and they have all died within 50 yards or less with very good blood trails. Most were within 20 yards of impact.  These were all lung shot deer. The federal fusions are what I use and they are excellent. Complete pass through on all deer. My buddies use the sst, and they are pretty explosive. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MrGroundhog said:

I am a big advocate for the 6.8spc. I got two buddies on board with using it for deer ( all three of us have the stag 7h upper). I have shot several deer the past couple years with it and they have all died within 50 yards or less with very good blood trails. Most were within 20 yards of impact.  These were all lung shot deer. The federal fusions are what I use and they are excellent. Complete pass through on all deer. My buddies use the sst, and they are pretty explosive. 

Thanks  Good info.  Reviews look pretty good for knock down power yet with virtually no kick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes... just a tad more than 556, which is why I really like it. I have shot a bunch of different ammo out of it too and everything shoots about exactly the same POI. Our guns all shoot under a inch at 100.  Drops about 5” out to 200 yards. I have no complaints with it other than ammo not being available in all stores. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Pin it and shoot it.  I guess its technically SPC II but I don't think anyone make the prior version.

You're right, it's SPC II.  I ended up buying a Tikka T3x Lite stainless in .308 instead.  No complaints on the Tikka's performance. :)

I thought about the fixed mag route for that one, but ultimately decided that I didn't want to deal with NY's ambiguity about being "compliant" or not.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Tad more than 556 meaning kick, not knock down power.  That looks to be much more.

Wasn’t sure if you ever shot one.  I got you... I was saying it’s really not much more kick than the 556, but you def leave a nice size hole. It has less recoil than my 243 shooting 100 grains. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MrGroundhog said:

Wasn’t sure if you ever shot one.  I got you... I was saying it’s really not much more kick than the 556, but you def leave a nice size hole. It has less recoil than my 243 shooting 100 grains. 

Then what will I do with my 243?  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MrGroundhog said:

Haha, keep it! I love my 243 too.... we have very similar gun taste I’ve noticed. Savage 243, Henry 30-30. Now you want to copy me with the stag! 

You have good taste!  I still have your sxp - just never fired it at a turkey but one day.  haha

Edited by moog5050
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MrGroundhog said:

Haha damn dude, I forgot you bought that from me!  What about the camera?! Do you still have that lol?

Still have the Cam but only tried filming once and my buddy passed on a small buck.  I am returning the sxp.   You guaranteed it would kill turkeys.  NOT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MrGroundhog said:

Was it user error?? The turkey shakes???

Lack of Turkey.   I haven’t even had the chance to miss.   Lousy gun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6.8spc

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Any try deer hunting with this caliber

No experience with either one but this seems to be the "new" cartridge of the year everyone is excited about for long range capabilities.

.224 Valkyrie:

The 224 Valkyrie is based on a 6.8 SPC case (necked down to .22 caliber), but comparing the two cartridges is an apples-to-oranges proposition. Designed by Special Forces personnel to increase the firepower of an M4 carbine, the 6.8 SPC uses a 0.277-inch diameter bullet and is based on a shortened version of the now-obsolete 30 Rem. case.

“The 6.8 SPC does not lend itself to using high-BC bullets for extended long-range shooting,” Burns explains. “With the 6.8 SPC, you’re launching a short .277 or 6.8mm caliber, 90-grain projectile with a lower BC at 2,850 fps. The 224 Valkyrie has a long .224 or 5.56mm caliber, 90-grain projectile with a very high BC that leaves the muzzle at 2,700 fps. When designing the Valkyrie, Federal Premium engineers didn’t consider the 6.8 SPC a comparable load. Instead, we aimed to beat the long-range ballistics of the 223 Rem., 22 Nosler and 6.5 Grendel.”

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/12/224-valkyrie-versus-the-world/#axzz5Be2Bfivw


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Steve D said:

6.8spc

No experience with either one but this seems to be the "new" cartridge of the year everyone is excited about for long range capabilities.

.224 Valkyrie:

The 224 Valkyrie is based on a 6.8 SPC case (necked down to .22 caliber), but comparing the two cartridges is an apples-to-oranges proposition. Designed by Special Forces personnel to increase the firepower of an M4 carbine, the 6.8 SPC uses a 0.277-inch diameter bullet and is based on a shortened version of the now-obsolete 30 Rem. case.

“The 6.8 SPC does not lend itself to using high-BC bullets for extended long-range shooting,” Burns explains. “With the 6.8 SPC, you’re launching a short .277 or 6.8mm caliber, 90-grain projectile with a lower BC at 2,850 fps. The 224 Valkyrie has a long .224 or 5.56mm caliber, 90-grain projectile with a very high BC that leaves the muzzle at 2,700 fps. When designing the Valkyrie, Federal Premium engineers didn’t consider the 6.8 SPC a comparable load. Instead, we aimed to beat the long-range ballistics of the 223 Rem., 22 Nosler and 6.5 Grendel.”

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/12/224-valkyrie-versus-the-world/#axzz5Be2Bfivw


 

 

Yep Valkyrie uses the same mag but more of a big coyote round from what I read.  I like the option for bigger hole from the .277 bullet.  My long range is 200yds.  Ha.  Mpbr will still be around 300 I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally wouldn't purchase either one since I am not a long range deer shooter. My .223 does fine at 200 yds. and less (yeah I know it has been discussed to death). If I were going to buy a upper for predators it would be a .17wsm rim fire but that is a little off topic:offtopic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Any try deer hunting with this caliber?  I have a credit to use up with Stag Arms and thinking of ordering an upper in this caliber.  It looks pretty good for deer hunting. 


I’ve taken several deer with the 6.8SPC - quite effective and put the deer down quick. All were within 100 yards though.

The nice thing is that it uses the same bullets (not the same brass though) as a 270, making reloading options plentiful.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sighted in the new Stag 15 6.8 spc 2.   After a few shots down range, it settled in nicely with 120g hornady.  Last 5 shot group was just at 1” at 100yds.  It seemed to shoot better and better the more I shot without cleaning - or maybe I settled down from the preceding tree work.  

I was limited to shooting off a sandbag on the gate of my pickup.  But it’s a pleasure to shoot.  Very little recoil or noise.  By the end, when I pulled the trigger, the holes just appeared in or touching the 1” bullseye.  Not bad for a semi auto.  Should be a great Deer gun.  Cycled without issue too.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m interested in the 6.8 as well. I’m just not sure it offers much more than what a 5.56 can do, given the type of bullet used and the type of game pursued. I’m moving to copper and I’m just not sure I see a benefit to going 6.8.

For example, 85gr all copper projectiles out of my 20in .243 average around 2800fps. I could probably push that closer to 3000 with some handloads. 55-62gr bullets from my 5.56 average around 3000fps from my 18in. Tables and charts aside, what is the real world difference in terminal performance between a 62-70gr projectile moving at roughly the same speed as an 85gr projectile that is .5mm larger in diameter? All copper bullets have really rewritten terminal performance understanding in many ways. Old cup and core lead jacket projectiles that shed 60% or so of their weight are a thing of the past. Even bonded core lead jacketed ammunition is changing our understanding of terminal performance. Foot pounds of kinetic energy are sales and marketing pitches. The real question is will this projectile adequately penetrate to destroy vital structures. Bonded and all copper projectiles have shown us that smaller/lighter bullets of though construction are capable of accomplishing those tasks in medium sized game. 

Sure, a 6.8 firing a 110gr bullet at 2600fps will have more freight behind it than a 62gr bullet at 2800fps, but what is the real world terminal performance difference? Is it that great of a difference to warrant the added cost of shooting 6.8 over 5.56? I’m not sure. 

I think inside 300yds it’s mostly a wash between 5.56, 6.5, and 6.8 when bullets of the same type of construction are used. In my opinion, past 250-300yds is when the separation begins, which then begs the question of will you actually ever shoot at game that far away? Maybe you hunt in those kinds of areas. If you do, and you want a semi-auto, why not just use an AR-10 based rifle and actually see some performance increase at those extended ranges?

I don’t doubt the 6.8 is more powerful than 5.56. It definitely is. However, with all things being equal, when hunting whitetail deer, maybe even black bear, is it that much “better” when a good shot is made? I’m not sure. I think going down that road is filled more with opinion, emotion and anecdotal evidence than facts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its way developed to have better long range ballistics  then the .223 and 7.62×39 

With about the same recoil 

So yea I would say would work ok on deer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never saw the reason for all these new calibers. 223, 308, 3006 and a few others is all I'll ever need. I can kill a deer , woodchuck, or any game with my small choice of calibers just as dead as anyone with any of the new rounds that have come around in the last 10 years. I'll never have to scrounge or pay thru the nose for brass. Ballistically there is so little difference between many of these new configurations I just have to wonder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.