1'st bear progress w/ new saw

wooly

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Thought of you today Wooly at the DUtchess CF...

Cool man- I'll have to check some of them out!

While I'm here it looks like I forgot to post the finished piece.

I ended up giving this one to sis just for all she's helped me out with these past few years.

Also have been busy working on a bunch of other stuff. Mostly bears that don't stick around too long. Experimented with a few new things that didn't work out so well, but like I said before, I learn the most from my screw ups. The biggest thing I've learned so far is DON'T be afraid to try something new and screw up!:good:

Once I get some bigger wood, I'm planning on some strutting gobblers, bedded bucks, horse heads, and plenty of other things,

5b7e1767a46e8_BEARPROG8.thumb.jpg.798934fd714445d49786fe662e99b690.jpgDSC_0261.thumb.JPG.507eb84a53a635d18edc26a6ace9c463.JPGDSC_0304.thumb.JPG.13d99b1dd7c4e2960bd609c57868143c.JPGDSC_0463.thumb.JPG.08021d6556627721ad8d380f27d9e435.JPGDSC_0472_01.JPG.328b49972d1932efceff15749999e107.JPGDSC_0019.JPG.9f40a75271a1d5b6cd9c887431ebec0f.JPG

Also did a short vid of carving out the bear head just for shits and giggles. I may try something a little different with this in the future.

Edited by wooly
  • Like 10

BTW - How tall are those bears. Looks to be 36-40", unless sis is a WNBA player. 

All your efforts look really amazing! BUT ... you made me cringe watching the video of you carving with the saw while the log was rocking around...! :O Don't want to hear about any of your "trial n error" mistakes involving blood!!!!!

• Like 1

The artist at work!  Love it!  

Easy to see why they seem to find homes so quickly!  The ones with the open mouths, seem to have facial expressions, that's really cool! Hard to pick a favorite, as they are all awesome! Of course for me, it would be the owl. Followed closely by the bear with the tracks on the base. 

Can't wait to see the deer, and the other ideas you have, get worked out. I gotta ask this question...... can you see the carving you want to make, inside the log before making the first cut?

Jeez...... may have to make a road trip, to bring one home with me!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Wooly I saw this blade on Instagram and thought of you 193b2568f0d1325cc99646e1eb90b31c.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Man, I wont touch one of those things no matter how affordable they are!

Almost weekly I see guys in FB groups turning their hands into hamburger with them. My grinder with a 24 grit carbide wheel scares me more than the saws and has almost bit me a few times already. I'm gonna pass on that one for my own good and find another way to get things done a little safer than that.

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Nice work!  Look forward to the final product........

How is sourcing the material going?  Is ash any good, I'd think there is TONS of that available?

I don't see why it wouldn't be. To me all/any wood is good.

I haven't made any museum quality stuff yet and that's likely not gonna change anytime soon! Most guys prefer to use pine as it's easier on the body and equipment, but anything will work as long as it's not rotten or full of nails!

12 hours ago, grampy said:

Can't wait to see the deer, and the other ideas you have, get worked out. I gotta ask this question...... can you see the carving you want to make, inside the log before making the first cut?

Not really that good with this stuff yet,lol

The bears are pretty basic and I can cut those out of a hunk of firewood if I wanted. Once I get some bigger stuff I'll need to plan ahead a little more.

That's where all my screw ups are becoming important learning tools to what I can and can't do on the skills end of things.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Put this in the hopper a02a21ee3f34f91acc9c1ec4748695e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's awesome! I'm definitely planning on a strutting gobbler soon! Finally got some bigger logs that should work perfect for that!

• Like 3