Pizza stone

Bionic

Hi guys n gals

So, my girlfriend just surprised me, and told me she ordered me a pizza stone, and the big peel.

Any tips for me?

Do you heat thr stone up, and then place thr raw pie on top? I haven't done any research yet.

Thanks, lets talk pizza.

Stop cringing Crappyice....

• Like 1

Ex wife used to do pampered chef parties.  So I have a pizza stone from them. No better way to cook one. 

I also make sausage bread, chicken broccoli braid,. Makes a nice crisp to it.  

My tip is to have a set of heavy potholders. It gets and stays hot. 

And the more u season and use it the better it gets.  

7 minutes ago, virgil said:

Yes. Get the stone screaming hot before the pizza goes on it. I use mine on the grill in the summer and it works great. 

I typically run 475, otherwise it gets too dark, before the bottom firms up enough.  Should I run 550, or stay where I am at? I dont do a super thin crust typically.  

On the pizza peel, that big spatula,  shoukd I just flour that up well, so I can slide the pizz off, and onto the stone? Dreading that step., lol.

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

Ex wife used to do pampered chef parties.  So I have a pizza stone from them. No better way to cook one. 

I also make sausage bread, chicken broccoli braid,. Makes a nice crisp to it.  

My tip is to have a set of heavy potholders. It gets and stays hot. 

And the more u season and use it the better it gets.  

Thanks Rob.  Can I wilt brush on the stone?

All kidding aside,  when you say season, shoukd I season the stone like a regular cast,  or the like?

I can't wait to try it, my pizza's always look so ugly, lol.  Can't judge a book by it's cover....

Good thinking, I will use the Bionic hand.  I will be careful, seriously.

• Haha 1

What helmet said.  A little cornmeal works good , but I usually forget it and just do it quick.  Lol. 

I would stick with the 475 esp if pizza isn't real thin so you don't burn toppings and not have the middle cook. 

And you can always use the stone to cut veges on too!   

I wouldn't season it like cast iron but don't use any soap on it , usually can just wipe it down or use a plastic scraper and very little or no water.  The more you use it the easier it is to clean and doesn't stick.  

When I do it in the oven, I crank it as high as it’ll go-525 convection. The hotter the better, unless your dough is very thick. 

As far as seasoning, don’t treat it like cast iron. If you rub oil on it, it’ll just smoke like crazy. It’ll get seasoned as you use it. 

I don’t use a peel. I use a rimless baking sheet with a generous amount of flour on it. You don’t want the pizza sticking when you’re trying to slide it onto the hot stone. 

Here’s my stone which came on a metal rack that I use when it’s goes in the oven DIRECTLY on the ground level closest to the heat...525 for at least 30 minutes before I cook
eb77c033cbb1854442a153d1bac77bbc.jpg

When on the grill (again as high as possible) stones goes directly on the grates.

I use two peels - make my pizzas on the woods (slides off better). I also use cornmeal (not flour- yucky flavor in my opinion).
Metal peel is used when pizza needs to be rotated in the oven(3 minutes and turn...3 more and done...usually WELL done which is how we like it). The metal is thinner and I am usually prepping the next pie on the wood.
b8df78109560b816609dfc49e65d57d3.jpg

When doing regular cheese pizza they rarely stick. Once you start adding topping(ie weight) and the longer it takes to dress the pie causes it to stick to the peel more. My white pizza sticks a lot because I brush it with a garlic paste then add mozzarella and then globs of ricotta...by far the most challenging to get in the oven nicely.

Be careful with fresh tomatoes and fresh mozzarella...very juicy so best to “drain” thin slices on paper towel first. I also drain my ricotta and add grated parm to dry it out a bit.

Once you get a good dough recipe down; the sky is the limit. you can even through some salad on their if you want 🤢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, helmut in the bush said:

As far as toppings go, less is more, don't over load it, the crust will get soggy 

Oh i overdo it, not going to lie, lol.  That is why I lower the temp a tad.  I usually do sausage, and Garlic,  or sandwich pepperoni.   I dont do supreme or anything heavy like that though. 

7 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Here’s my stone which came on a metal rack that I use when it’s goes in the oven DIRECTLY on the ground level closest to the heat...525 for at least 30 minutes before I cook
eb77c033cbb1854442a153d1bac77bbc.jpg

When on the grill (again as high as possible) stones goes directly on the grates.

I use two peels - make my pizzas on the woods (slides off better). I also use cornmeal (not flour- yucky flavor in my opinion).
Metal peel is used when pizza needs to be rotated in the oven(3 minutes and turn...3 more and done...usually WELL done which is how we like it). The metal is thinner and I am usually prepping the next pie on the wood.
b8df78109560b816609dfc49e65d57d3.jpg

When doing regular cheese pizza they rarely stick. Once you start adding topping(ie weight) and the longer it takes to dress the pie causes it to stick to the peel more. My white pizza sticks a lot because I brush it with a garlic paste then add mozzarella and then globs of ricotta...by far the most challenging to get in the oven nicely.

Be careful with fresh tomatoes and fresh mozzarella...very juicy so best to “drain” thin slices on paper towel first. I also drain my ricotta and add grated parm to dry it out a bit.

Once you get a good dough recipe down; the sky is the limit. you can even through some salad on their if you want

Great info, thank you for that.

My biggest concern is sliding the raw pies off, and onto the stone.  I will have to pick up some cornmeal this weekend.   The only pies I make are pepperoni,  sausage and garlic,  bbq chicken, thats really it, still a bit of weight, we will see how I do.  Maybe we can start a homemade pizza/calzone thread....

Thanks Crappy.

I will let you know how the lettuce rolls turn out. Don't be jealous...

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

f1a1bbe35488f25e52dbe359a12294b3.jpg

Our favorite...from the oven
I pretty much get 4 single serve (yeah that’s considered single serve!) pizzas per dough recipe(4 cups of flour)

I think the pizza's you make honestly look GREAT.  Like I say over, and over again, my pies are great, its just they look stupid, and weird.  I let them rise, etc but I suck at spreading the dough eveningly, etc, doesnt help I am using a rectangular baking sheet....you dont even like pizza right? Swore a saw post of you ssying its not food, and blah blah blah....pretty ironic. 

You answered my question I think. Are you able to throw your dough like they do in pizza places with your Bio arm?

Sounds like you “roll” yours. That’s going to be tough if you are rolling on the peel and then trying to shimmy it off. Your rolling is ultimately pressing it to the board and every time it stretches it’s a bit tacky(more sticking to the board).

When getting pie from peel to stone, ya gotta hit it hard and fast. Shimmy it around a bit before going into the oven. If it is sticking you can always try this trick (when serving your loved ones only!). Pick up the part of the pie that is sticking and blow air under that section...it releases the crust and then you can get it in the oven

• Thanks 1