3 legged deer

skyhunter

got this 3 legged doe last week. funny thing I also got a 3 legged doe (snow pics) back in feb of 2009. You would think it's the same deer but there is a bit of a stub on the recent deer while the one from 2009 doesn't appear to have that stub.

the pictures were taken in the same area just 30 yards between camera sites.  maybe the missing leg grew some. ;)

What do you all think; same deer or different? 

resizePICT0714.jpg

resizePICT0785.jpg

resizePICT0734.jpg

ResizeofP412-082009293.jpg

ResizeofP412-082009137.jpg

ResizeofP412-082009180.jpg

same deer! when injury was fresh was holding up the stump..now the muscle has atrophyed the legs hangs lower.. had a 3 legged buck a few years back,,made it from one hunting season to the next and then neighbor took it.

its crazy that the deer has it cut so clean almost at the shoulder, is it possible that it can be a birth defect??

I did give thought to it possibly being a genetic thing especially when I have run a cam there for the last 3 years and these 2 groups of pictures were captured on feb of 2009  and then june of 2011), and there are no pictues of her between those dates.

If I run a cam there for nearly the entire year why no pictures of her after feb 2009 thru june 2011. We have a gap of 2 years and 4 months where she didn't show. Could be that this cam site is on the perimeter of her territory and she doesn't visit it much, but it seems kind of odd that there is that 2 year 4 month gap in between.

Skyhunter I seem to agree that they are two different deer for the reason that you mentioned. The first one seems to have more of a stump and looks like the hair has almost covered the wound. The first one almost looks like it was born that way.

I have this posted on 3 other forums and including this one the vote is 12 to 6 in favor of it being the same deer.

This deer would be about 2 years and a few months older in the recent pics than she was in the snow pics from Feb of 2009. As animals we all change our appearance as we age, so it is indeed conceivable that the appearance of the missing leg could change as well.

What is odd is that I have not had a picture of her since 2009 but then again this camera site could be on the outskirts of her home range or she just might be the more reclusive type. Who knows?

The other thing you have to remember is that in the winter, they  have more fat and thicker fur, which could cause the stump to look smaller than when shes in her summer coat and slimmed down.

Its hard to tell though, she doesnt have any distinguishing features other than the leg.

I'm sure a deer could live a while in a fairly unhostile environment.  Do you get much pressure there?  Is there a lot of food through the winter?  Do you have many 4 legged deer that make it 3-4 yrs around you?  In some areas I guess its possible.  I have seen 3 legged deer here, but with the brown its down crowd, I haven't seen them a yr later.

• 2 weeks later...

probably the same deer.  During the winter the coat is thick and longer, hiding the stump a little.  I have a buddy who has been seeing a deer with a broken front leg for 3 years now, the broken leg i suppose healed on the inside with the bone still separated, so the broken leg just flops around. Miraculously, this animal survived whatever hit it and is still feeding in his yard

I had a nice 8 hang around in 1993 and was able to find his sheds that spring..years went by and never saw or heard of anyone getting him or even a pic of him..I was able to harvest him in 2000 as an 8 1/2 year old. Putting the sheds next to him its no mistake it the same deer! Where it was for 6 years is anyones guess.....deer do weird things.....and can survive an orange army as well!

I had a nice 8 hang around in 1993 and was able to find his sheds that spring..years went by and never saw or heard of anyone getting him or even a pic of him..I was able to harvest him in 2000 as an 8 1/2 year old. Putting the sheds next to him its no mistake it the same deer! Where it was for 6 years is anyones guess.....deer do weird things.....and can survive an orange army as well!

Habitat makes a big difference in those chances though.  Big ag areas with heavy pressure are less likely to see older deer without qdm in place.