Bionic's 3 handed adventures.

Bionic

At a loss, don’t know what to do anymore, same as every season, sit sit sit, see zip zip zip.  Not whining, or crying, just clueless at this point.

no ag fields, no change in terrain really, and limited access area to walk to my area of permission.

no doe tags, and in AR zone.  

Maybe time to try to expand.  Maybe instead of spending time scouting same spot, maybe scouting to add a new one as well?   Just a thought. New dirt always gets me excited.  

Maybe a little Google earth by areas near you that have Ag fields. Then use an app like hunt stand to find out who owns what and knock on a door. 

Not that u might not get a good one where u are but might be an option. 

Been rooting for you , hope u have some better luck. You def are not one to give up and been putting in the time.  

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Maybe time to try to expand.  Maybe instead of spending time scouting same spot, maybe scouting to add a new one as well?   Just a thought. New dirt always gets me excited.  

Maybe a little Google earth by areas near you that have Ag fields. Then use an app like hunt stand to find out who owns what and knock on a door. 

Not that u might not get a good one where u are but might be an option. 

Been rooting for you , hope u have some better luck. You def are not one to give up and been putting in the time.  

There are literally no farms for miles, and miles of here, really is sort of a big woods on smaller scale if that makes sense.  

I actually have been poking around on topo maps, downloaded OnX hunt app, found a buck bed on a tall ridge yesterday on state forest.  Found his bed, with 5 or 6 rubs within 15’ of radius, and 4 or 5 beaten trails in all directions leaving it.  I feel like I could be more successful in other areas.  I am honestly a bit intimidated going deep in the woods up here alone, not necessarily scared, if I was I would really say so, but I just get so uncomfortable way back in in these woods alone, no clue why.  I feel it holds me back.  

I have 13k acres of lightly used state lands about 5 mins up the road, HEAVILY populated with bear, big mountain bucks occasionally cross while I committed, I would really like to scout this in spring for buck beds, and figure out some hand n hunt ideas.  

Where I am here at home, i feel as if the deer bed over the hill I do not have permission to hunt on(same owner of the land I have sole permission to hunt on, and that land over the hill no one has permission on).  Anyways, I do have permission to explore it, so I want to actually scout here, I never scout honestly here.  I try to just stay out....going to put cams up nice and high for a month at a time I think.  Place some over that hill where the swamps are as well....maybe I can figure out where the bucks are spending bedded time.

i have a tough time on google earth, area is really dense, lots of older growth pines, and it all looks like tree top.

this week I am back to work, hopefully can get a shot at a doe, or more.

Sounds like a good plan. It is tough to hunt and not see much. When you do get one the reward is even sweeter but tough long days with no action.  

Would def scout that other area.  No chance of permission there?   They keep it to hunt themselves? But at least u might learn travel routes better to your area.  

I think you were in the 3"s area?  Def tough to come by land to hunt the closer to the city I am sure. 

But good luck.  Can always work and learn more for your own areas.  

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

At a loss, don’t know what to do anymore, same as every season, sit sit sit, see zip zip zip.  Not whining, or crying, just clueless at this point.

no ag fields, no change in terrain really, and limited access area to walk to my area of permission.

no doe tags, and in AR zone.  

I know where you are, I'm in similar habitat and terrain when in Ulster hunting.

Its tough, expectations need to be realistic and that is substantially different then for folks in higher density prime deer habitats with agriculture/food plots/etc.

Best deer hunters I know come up dry some years.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Sounds like a good plan. It is tough to hunt and not see much. When you do get one the reward is even sweeter but tough long days with no action.  

Would def scout that other area.  No chance of permission there?   They keep it to hunt themselves? But at least u might learn travel routes better to your area.  

I think you were in the 3"s area?  Def tough to come by land to hunt the closer to the city I am sure. 

But good luck.  Can always work and learn more for your own areas.  

The landowner is a weirdo actually.  No hunting at all, landowner lives 3 hrs or so away.  They do not hunt at all, only reason I get to hunt is so I frequent the area, so if people trespass, they will see people are here....it’s a bizarre situation, and I cannot shoot bear, or coyotes.   The land I want to browse on is “the safety zone” for the all the animals....yeah, I have an odd one here.  If the landowner realized the entire property is a safety zone as long as I hunt it lol.  

I am zone 3K still far from the city, it’s dark pine forests, etc.  never far enough from a city, but still hours away.

here is a rough sketch of where I have permission....the diagonal short lines are hill.  

6CC1531C-9400-4EA3-8E8F-8D24608B19D3.jpeg

B2C35FEF-ABB5-4D06-AE33-3111320E8653.jpeg

Edited by Bionic

10 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I know where you are, I'm in similar habitat and terrain when in Ulster hunting.

Its tough, expectations need to be realistic and that is substantially different then for folks in higher density prime deer habitats with agriculture/food plots/etc.

Best deer hunters I know come up dry some years.

So very true.  I have not killed a deer here since opening day of gun in 2014.  I sit every minute available to me.  It’s a very low density of deer.  992 were killed in 2017 if I read the DEC website correctly.

i would really like to keep learning on how to better my chances in these types of areas.  It’s my 20th deer season, and don’t have much to show for it.  Great experiences though, and times with my dad, which are priceless, but would love more harvests.

Edited by Bionic

4 hours ago, Bionic said:

The landowner is a weirdo actually.  No hunting at all, landowner lives 3 hrs or so away.  They do not hunt at all, only reason I get to hunt is so I frequent the area, so if people trespass, they will see people are here....it’s a bizarre situation, and I cannot shoot bear, or coyotes.   The land I want to browse on is “the safety zone” for the all the animals....yeah, I have an odd one here.  If the landowner realized the entire property is a safety zone as long as I hunt it lol.  

I am zone 3K still far from the city, it’s dark pine forests, etc.  never far enough from a city, but still hours away.

here is a rough sketch of where I have permission....the diagonal short lines are hill.  

6CC1531C-9400-4EA3-8E8F-8D24608B19D3.jpeg

B2C35FEF-ABB5-4D06-AE33-3111320E8653.jpeg

Well at least it works out for you with a place to hunt to yourself. That's half the battle. 

It def gets tough sometimes.  I gun hunt 7f where they hand out free leftover doe tags and I haven't taken the safety off the rifle yet or seen a deer since opening day. 

Can always look and make improvements to hunting for next year, but good luck for the rest of this year. 

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Well at least it works out for you with a place to hunt to yourself. That's half the battle. 

It def gets tough sometimes.  I gun hunt 7f where they hand out free leftover doe tags and I haven't taken the safety off the rifle yet or seen a deer since opening day. 

Can always look and make improvements to hunting for next year, but good luck for the rest of this year. 

Definitely not complaining, just creating a name to face scenario.  

• 1 year later...

Its been awhile, but I think I will restart this journal.  As some are aware, I shot a nice 5 pointer this year, It was my first ever bad shot, bolt deflected, and after a grid search of almost 2 miles, it was a tough decision to turn back.  During this process, Jenn helped me grid search, she realized she was extremely interested in this process, and said she would to be more a part of the hunting process.  We both are unsure of how involved she will want to be, but I am beyond excited for this.  We decided that we want to scout more, hike more in other areas that we can hunt(to also scout as we hike), and just be outdoors in the woods more learning how deer behave.  It should be interesting....

During the last day of the regular season, we decided to do a still hunt together.  We took pics along the way of what we thought was interesting.

Today we went on another hike/“bushwhack” to jus see how deer use the area at this time of year, and to see how many deer are even in the area.  I plan to post pics in this “journal”, to reflect back on, and if anyone would like to give any input, that would be appreciated.

D0E11F1A-CDDB-4832-A617-A6CB39844C92.jpeg

6BEAE12C-FE93-4BAD-BCAA-EF7EB73B68EC.jpeg

3256F1AF-A430-49A8-9611-B3E8CD055E80.jpeg

5AFFE553-13EE-4D05-A14F-4944E0905BA8.jpeg

F213AAC9-7B16-47CB-AE12-5FD8E79F576E.jpeg

A52216F4-D3A5-4972-AE8B-D6D8BD6D74F1.jpeg

071D3D53-8869-4F7F-8416-42DABDBB6DA4.jpeg

D21AE3DE-3839-48AF-AA50-2E0498E783BE.jpeg

C7541705-A562-45D6-8B7C-CADE79E8EC97.png

A97B1CA0-5BE7-4445-B26B-8180AF0667EA.jpeg

4014ACF1-BF13-48ED-9375-5CB1E28C1008.jpeg

0C396894-EAFC-4C02-A272-C4FEC73DC790.jpeg

8309CF1F-2853-4052-AC43-4B14143A343A.jpeg

7B2462E1-ED2A-4725-9D41-F2B052E42B63.jpeg

B33412CF-117E-423F-8E5C-5C033F9F2F98.jpeg

413DF2E5-CB66-4D43-B5F5-26C11DC658D6.jpeg

CDBC6D73-02E8-4227-B64E-B29CF01A8313.jpeg

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

No!!! Gosh it’s like I’m trying to get a good picture with my kids.

STOP MAKING FUNNY FACES AND JUST SMILE!!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh sorry to disappoint you! Lol

dont send me to bed with no dinner!!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

Any history with him?  Hard to tell but looks like a good 3 year old!  Always nice to have something to look forward to! 

No history at all.  This was our 3rd year owning the land, and with limited time there, due to distance, I have not had time to truly scout.  Determined to change that this year.  I do have history with a nice 9 though! Would like to scout for beds this year.

• Like 1