So whats the best shot youve ever made?

Robhuntandfish

I don't know if this qualifies as my "best shot", but certainly my closest shot at an 8 point buck with the compound...7 yards broadside and on the ground. Double lung...watched him leap after shot, ran 20 yards, stopped, twitches his tail like they do when about to expire, did the death leap backwards and out for the count and right in front of me...most thrilling 15 seconds of all time hunting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

183 yards with a 20ga slug gun. Bullseye.

Downside is I let him walk from about 75 to 183 before I realized what he was.....ddca34c9ed1888a1ba205a6c77583564.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Didn't your Mom tell you that if you didn't stop doing that you'd go blind  ?

Its nuts for me cause the best shot ive ever made to this day was my first bow kill doe years ago. Straight threw the heart she ran 25 yards or so and was done. That's the pro.

Now the con is the first buck I ever shot and killed with my bow. Mis judged distance and ended up shooting low. I remember making a post on here about it and loosing sleep. I trailed that deer for 200+ yards of blood trail that started out so good I thought for sure I was going to find em with my every next step. He made his was to some marsh/swamp land and I lost blood. Found all bones and skull after the snow melted and I could see everything. 

Well.... I guess mine was when I took down a deer with my (obviously oversized) Remington Ultra Mag without putting a hole through the Deer!

Probably 15 years ago... last day of Rifle.... I can only hunt till 10am... got to go to work.... at around 9:30 I spot some doe down below a cliff. I tell my friend to climb down around and walk to them to push them out. I sit where they should come out at end of Ridge. Sure enough they come out.... Fast..... I whistle and some stop... we later measured about 130 yards. I put the Rifle up... look through the Scope and two deer each face the other way are in the scope... I'm pretty sure I can get the one in the neck area..... I shoot!

The Deer Drops immediately!  Yes!!!  My friend and I walk over and see fur.... wait... a Tail!   Seems my shot hit the Tail of the one in front, ricocheted and hit the one behind in the top of the head blowing off a small patch of fur on it's skull.... no hole tho!  Killed it will a Concussion to the head!

• Like 2

55 yard shot on the first Oct 1 opener here in the SZ. Killed my oldest buck and set out to do that. Only had one ambush spot - either a 20 yard shot or a 55 yard shot. He came out at 55 and perfect standing still, not alert. Sent it and double lunged. Probably my peak from a skill perspective. I set out to kill him, knew the bedding, got in close, and sealed the deal.

Fist buck ever was a 2.5 8 point on an opening day. Smooth bore open sight Rem 870. Dropped him on a dead run at 75 yards - slug entered between antler and ear and out the other ear hole. Never seen a deer do what he did after that hit - flipped end over end three times and his antler dug into the ground on the last flip. Sent three rounds his way and connected on all three to ensure he was dead. I was a young teen and the adrenaline was off the charts. Same stand that PM, I shot the same tree five times at 25 yards with a doe behind it. Never once hit the doe. Probably killed that tree.

• Like 3