Hunter's 1st Buck A+ for Shot Placement

wildcat junkie

For 3 seasons my son's buddy has been Deer hunting on my place. The last 2 seasons we were covered up with does but only two bucks seen in that time and only one of those presented a shot.

This year we are covered up with yearling bucks but Curtis' wife is expecting so he hasn't been able to get out much,  just 1 morning hunt so far and my place doesn't usually produce before 10:00 AM. It is a great afternoon/evening producer though

Today Curtis made it out for an evening hunt. About 3:30 I heard a shot. I wear noise canceling hearing enhancement ear plugs and although they enhance hearing woods noises,  it is difficult to tell what direction a gunshot has come from. After some back & forth on the radios it was established that Curtis had dropped a buck in its tracks right in the middle of a horse trail. Nice fat spike that dressed 90#. Not bad for a 1st deer.

IoF0VnD.jpg

For the last 2 years I have been coaching Curtis on shot placement, especially on quartering shots. Well, today he gets an A+ for shot placement on a 100 yd quartering slightly on shot from an elevated stand. The 140 gr .284 Nosler Ballistic Tip from my handload dumped him in his tracks. IMO a textbook perfect shot. I'm so proud and happy for him.

3gC67zb.jpg

Here is the view from where the deer stood looking back on the "Penthouse" stand.

GDBCltm.jpg

I'm really proud of Curtis.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 16

That's a great story for sure.  

Been trying to do the same for a buddies son.  He's been close a couple times but think this is his season to get one.

We went out this morning and didnt see anything it was so loud mad crunchy.  But sat for a couple hours in stands close to eaxh  other. On the way out and almost back to the vehicle and there are fresh tracks that crossed the trail and went behind him less than 100 yards in the brush. He said he thought he heard them. 

Gave him my old shotgun and hoping he takes a deer with it.  It's knocked a few down.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, grampy said:

I've taken your advice a time or two, and it's worked out for me as well.

Nosler BTs was one good one!

140 gr Ballistic Tips in a 7mm-08 is a near perfect combination for Deer size game IMO. I'm going to use them in my 7x57 when I get it completed.

Edited by wildcat junkie