Creating Bear Habitat

XGX7PM

Anyone think burying a cement culvert and creating a stone entrance would work as a "Pop-Up" hibernation spot?

ł'm thinking, bury it a few feet below grade, make sure there is drainage so it doesnt have rising water and create an entrance that resembles a natural fissure.

Then brush it in with a a thicket of blue/black/raspberry...

Something tells me this would work.

I am mixed about encouraging beers (oops, bears) to frequent the area. I love bears and bear hunting, and would like to have the occ. sighting, but a lot of the time bears and camps don't mix.

A friend of mine (now passed), was highly knowledgeable on bears, was a veterinarian and hunted them twice yearly, learned everything he could on them. I took his knowledge as gospel. He stated bears were unable to live anywhere there weren't blueberries.... that may have been a bit absolute, but where you find them is dependent on a wild berry crop and mast more than anything else. My guess is if you don't have appropriate bear sustaining habitat, you wouldn't keep the bears.

We have bear on the property. Some years more than I care for. The years when corn and berries are plentiful they are around. As for making a den I have not seen one in our area but we have some spots that have so many blowdowns that I hear they will den up in these areas. I might try doing a big pile of blowdowns and see if it works. If it doesn't I'll use it as a deer blind!