Oh man, had venison steaks tonight, holy crap gooooood.

burmjohn

Oh man, had venison steaks tonight, holy crap gooooood.  Not getting a deer last year I have to ration my venison out from what I got my from uncle, oh man...  It might have been the best I ever had.  Marinated in oil garlic pepper and a dash of sea salt and a little red wine 24 hrs.  BBQ'd on medium for 1/2 the time I would for a steak.

:'(

post-1-131455461019_thumb.jpg

I'm in an AR area and have been for years, lots of deer (thousands of trail cam pictures to back that up as well).  5 were taken off our land last year, unfortunately I was not one of them.

The round thing was for the wife :)

I'm in an AR area and have been for years, lots of deer (thousands of trail cam pictures to back that up as well).  5 were taken off our land last year, unfortunately I was not one of them.

The round thing was for the wife :)

I am sure you have plenty of pictures, there are probably lots of deer in your area. But that's not the case in all deer Mgmt units and  the areas that have fewer deer to take will have even fewer once AR is implemented. Plus the fact that you will no longer be able to take a doe during bow season makes your chances even slimmer. Unless you have a doe permit.

Dave

The deer don't disappear when AR is put into place. Not sure where that misconception comes from, you have a year where the little ones walk.  DMP's are issued based on need to control the herd numbers and get the doe ratio down.  In 3M / 3J where our fam's other property is it seems like they give them out like water.  Anyways, this isnt the thread for this, we can talk about it when we get together for a LI shoot :)

The deer don't disappear when AR is put into place. Not sure where that misconception comes from, you have a year where the little ones walk.  DMP's are issued based on need to control the herd numbers and get the doe ratio down.  In 3M / 3J where our fam's other property is it seems like they give them out like water.  Anyways, this isnt the thread for this, we can talk about it when we get together for a LI shoot :)

Sounds good to me.

Dave

good stuff john! looks yummy. i have to pull out some tenderloins soon and also make some burgers! i have quite a few bags left of chop meat. i mixed in some bacon and seasoning and ran it through the grinder twice, grills up nice!

How do you make the burgers? Anything special?

I have a grinder, and I run the venison through it once on the largest hole plate, then I run some beef roast though on that plate. Next, I mix a 3:1 of venison and beef through the medium plate twice. It gives me a bit of fat to hold the burgers together while they cook, but still retains the venison flavor. Most people I feed them to ask me what spices I used in them and when I tell them what they are, they cant believe it.