Robhuntandfish

Robs huntandfish journal

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Congrats Rob!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks. Almost bought a Ranger and prob would have if they weren't offering so many incentives. Test drove two of them.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Good day on the water. Got up at 4:30 and a storm was moving in.  It passed and hooked on and headed out to the lake.  Real slow first troll one hit. 

Then hooked a real nice one got it within sight and it had another line tangled in it.  It came off and my other pole dropped.  Got him in.  25fow. 

Then lost another good one in 21 fow, same thing within site and off. One of those days.  Went back thru that area twice and got one keeper and 6 shorts. Two at a time sometimes.  

Boated 8 lost 2 just couldn't get three keepers.  Still a good day. 

IMG_20200628_115805099.jpg

New truck pulls the boat great. The whole 2 miles to the launch. Lol. 

There is actually one closer like 300 yards but I don't like it as much. 

IMG_20200628_113802176.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

How many outings this year? I feel like you fish everyday lol

I wish that was the case. This year the weather has been really good so I have gotten out a lot.  Hasn't hardly rained in a month.  So every weekend I go out usually 5am-9 or so and then still have the full day for the most part. I have taken 5 days off thru May and June and fished all of those mornings too. 

It helps that I live 200 yards from the lake and can be on the water in like 10 minutes. So usually fish, fish cleaned and back at home by 10 am for a cold one.

I actually cancelled 3 days off because of work or bad weather but still have had so many good weather days to fish.  I try to get out as much as possible May, June, July when the bite is the best. August comes and I am usually stumped out there and then hunting season and prep looms. Fishing gets really good again in late Sept and October.  Then I try to fish off the pier when the conditions are right before hunting early in the morn. Which I can walk to from the house. Hit it right and can get a real quick limit there.  Personal best is 16 minutes. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

How many outings this year? I feel like you fish everyday lol

Counted them up and it's 17 since walleye opener first sat in May. 

• Like 1

What do you contribute the boom in walleye to ,my cousin fished it last week and said the same thing the lake has never been so good .

47 minutes ago, sbuff said:

What do you contribute the boom in walleye to ,my cousin fished it last week and said the same thing the lake has never been so good .

I and some others think the zebra mussels. They seem to have cleared the lake up and also provided more of a food source for small minnows and then along the food chain to the walleye.  In the fall it seems like you can walk across the minnows in the canal at times there are so many.  Cornell and the DEC say there are a million walleye in the lake and aren't even stocking any fry this year.  I think the combo of 3 fish limits of 15" , DEC stocking, zebra mussels all have made it such a good run. Last year was great too but this has been the best I've seen and I've lived here all my life. 

That being said if your a bass fisherman I don't think it's as good as it was even 3-4 years ago.  When we bass fish we have caught a lot less and lots of guys I know that bass fish say they catch as many walleye when they are bass fishing as bass. 

There are now gobies in the lake too and that might contribute but I have yet to see a goby in a walleye or see one spit one up. 

Whatever it is the lake is amazing right now. So many guys coming in with limits.  

Dec just sent out a survey asking what people think of changing the limit back to 5.  I actually hope they don't cause it is so good right now that whatever they have done sure worked so don't change a thing.  And it seems most locals agree.

And I can't figure what other lake in NY (other than Erie) can support that 5 walleye limit.  The whole state should be 3 IMHO. 

Boat limit by 8 am. Had to wait for fog to lift so we fished by shore for a few minutes and caught some pickerel.  Breeze came up and cleared fog so away we went.  Got to first spot and they were hitting everything.  We threw back a bunch as well. Buddy's son got the biggest one of the day. Corey threw out a sonar while we were slow trolling just messing around and got one second cast.  Can't get over the bite out there right now.  Next week is supposed to be 94-95 all week. That's prob gonna bust the bite but this lake has never been better! We often had 2-3 poles going at once. Whoever had a fish had to clear that net quick for the next one. 21-25 FOW. 

IMG_20200704_091046266.jpg

Wasn't gonna fish and awake at 4:15. Might as well fish.  Limit by 7:30.  Same spot a little slower bite but still good.  Next week is 90+ everyday, might as well catch them while I can.  

IMG_20200705_092406116.jpg