Squirrel hunting- 44 days!

Nothing beats this guys method, I think I posted this last year.

46 second skin.

Is this what you were saying you couldnt do Elmo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66AVwthXgMA&list=FLfUA2Djc93KmqgP_58CPlFA&index=39&feature=plpp_video

EDIT: Also this guy, check out his squirrel coat too! hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mate6bcd_bc&feature=player_embedded#!

Edited by SteveNY

Ive been out twice prio to the opening day I sighted my air rifle for 50 yards (which might have been my first problem) and I shot at the first squirrel and missed completly a few minutes later he came back out and i took another shot and I just dont know where my shots are hittnjg. the same story with the second time I went out.gotta resight in the air rifle maybe for a closer distance. its a .20 cal size pellets

I never tried the stepping on the tail flap method because someone had told me northeastern squirrels tend to have tougher skin and going with this method may cause a mess. You know, I'll just give it a shot next time. If they explode, I'll love one squirrle. Heck with it. Worth a shot.

Ive been out twice prio to the opening day I sighted my air rifle for 50 yards (which might have been my first problem) and I shot at the first squirrel and missed completly a few minutes later he came back out and i took another shot and I just dont know where my shots are hittnjg. the same story with the second time I went out.gotta resight in the air rifle maybe for a closer distance. its a .20 cal size pellets

I missed such an easy shot my first attempt that I knew something had to be wrong. A quick practice shot at a rusted beer can confirmed that my sights are an inch high. So the rest of the day I was just aiming to give them a crew cut. With the bullet an inch under where I was aiming, I was blowing out their jaws. Hollow points do some serious damage. Also, I have my 22 sighted at 50 yards but I'm starting to realize that all my shots are more like 25-30 yarders. When I re-zero, I think I'm going to zero my 22 for 25 yards.

Edited by Elmo

I have always favored a 32 caliber muzzleloader or a 22/410 combination gun.

I like the option of the .22 barrel and then .410 barrel is there for a fast follow up if I miss, also makes for a handy woodcock and grouse gun, with a good fast chance at bagging a bunny, fox , coon or squirrel, even woodchuck with the rifle barrel.

I gave my three stevens and savage 22-410s to RJ to sell for me, I hope they will find a good home with a hunter.who likes the old ways.

I have always favored a 32 caliber muzzleloader or a 22/410 combination gun.

I like the option of the .22 barrel and then .410 barrel is there for a fast follow up if I miss, also makes for a handy woodcock and grouse gun, with a good fast chance at bagging a bunny, fox , coon or squirrel, even woodchuck with the rifle barrel.

I gave my three stevens and savage 22-410s to RJ to sell for me, I hope they will find a good home with a hunter.who likes the old ways.

I would be interested in a 22-410, i am going to send you a message.

The 17HM2 or Mach 2 is arguably the best rim fire for hunting squirrels and other small game. It shoots almost as fast as the HMR and has a nearly laser flat tragectory. It is one of my favorite rounds to hunt squirrels. Also it is relatively quiet when dischanged in the woods compared to 22LR high and hyper velocity rounds.

I missed such an easy shot my first attempt that I knew something had to be wrong. A quick practice shot at a rusted beer can confirmed that my sights are an inch high. So the rest of the day I was just aiming to give them a crew cut. With the bullet an inch under where I was aiming, I was blowing out their jaws. Hollow points do some serious damage. Also, I have my 22 sighted at 50 yards but I'm starting to realize that all my shots are more like 25-30 yarders. When I re-zero, I think I'm going to zero my 22 for 25 yards.

When sighting in a 22LR with high velocity rounds around 1250FPS if you sight in at 25yds you will also be zero'd at 50yrds and betweem 2-3 inches low at 75 yards.

If you sight in for 100yds you will be zero'd 10 yds and will be 2.5 - 3 inches high around 50 yards.

If sighted for 75 yards it will also be zero'd at 15 and be around 1.5 inches high at 50 yards.

Just food for thought.

plinker331,

What does the 17HMR do to a squirrel? I picked up one last year but haven't shot anything with it yet.

I haven't used my HMR for squirrels. Mostly because that rifle is heavy and the 6-18x40 scope is not condusive for picking up fast moving targets in trees. My HMR weighs almost as much as my varmint rifle. From what I have read and been told the HMR generally removes the heads with head shots. If i were to use the HMR for squirrels I would use hollow points or FMJ instead of Vmax. The Vmax exploded during entry, the HP has a better chance of exitting with less damage.

Photo0004.jpg

Savage 93 BTV w/ Barska Hot Magnum 6-18x40

Photo0809.jpg

Photo0807.jpg

Savage Mark II FV 17HM2 w/ 4-16x40 Centerpoint

Photo0798.jpg

Henry H001L w/ Simmons 3-9x32 22LR

Photo0084.jpg

Gamo Hunter 220 .177 w/ BSA 3-12x44

I love squirrel hunting I just wish we could use air rifles in PA

plinker331,

Thanks for the range advice. Yeah, I'm definitely going to resight my 22 for 25 yards. If it zeros back again at 50 then that's perfect. I don't see myself ever shooting out beyond 50 yards anyway.

I bought the 93R17 TRR-SR last year. I really want to give that rifle a spin. I'll post the results.

When sighting in a 22LR with high velocity rounds around 1250FPS if you sight in at 25yds you will also be zero'd at 50yrds and betweem 2-3 inches low at 75 yards.

If you sight in for 100yds you will be zero'd 10 yds and will be 2.5 - 3 inches high around 50 yards.

If sighted for 75 yards it will also be zero'd at 15 and be around 1.5 inches high at 50 yards.

Just food for thought.

Not every bullet will have the same BC, and the scope height will also play a role in POI and zero. Also some food for thought. The general reference to the speed and POI is a good baseline though.

I haven't used my HMR for squirrels. Mostly because that rifle is heavy and the 6-18x40 scope is not condusive for picking up fast moving targets in trees. My HMR weighs almost as much as my varmint rifle. From what I have read and been told the HMR generally removes the heads with head shots. If i were to use the HMR for squirrels I would use hollow points or FMJ instead of Vmax. The Vmax exploded during entry, the HP has a better chance of exitting with less damage.

Photo0004.jpg

Savage 93 BTV w/ Barska Hot Magnum 6-18x40

Photo0809.jpg

Photo0807.jpg

Savage Mark II FV 17HM2 w/ 4-16x40 Centerpoint

Photo0798.jpg

Henry H001L w/ Simmons 3-9x32 22LR

Photo0084.jpg

Gamo Hunter 220 .177 w/ BSA 3-12x44

I love squirrel hunting I just wish we could use air rifles in PA

Very nice guns there. I also see that you mounted an airgun bipod to your 17HMR. If you're ever in NY, I'd be more than happy to go on an airgun hunt with you.

Not every bullet will have the same BC, and the scope height will also play a role in POI and zero. Also some food for thought. The general reference to the speed and POI is a good baseline though.

Its always a good idea no matter what ammo your gun eats best to print off the factory ballistics info and compare it with your gun. I have found that Hornady HMR ammo is close to spot on with their published info and my rifle.

The bipod and the rifle came as equipped when I bought it used. I don't like the scope rings that it used and wasn't crazy about the scope. I had plans on changing things until I shot it. I don't know if that is an air rifle bipod or not. It does connect to the factory front swivel. I have bought a Boyds stock for it but have not purchased the bottom metal for it yet.

The bipod and the rifle came as equipped when I bought it used. I don't like the scope rings that it used and wasn't crazy about the scope. I had plans on changing things until I shot it. I don't know if that is an air rifle bipod or not. It does connect to the factory front swivel. I have bought a Boyds stock for it but have not purchased the bottom metal for it yet.

The bipod you have on there is a Leapers/UTG bipod. It'll allow you to use the swivel for mounting the bipod as well as for a sling. You plan on replacing the thumb hole stock?

Its always a good idea no matter what ammo your gun eats best to print off the factory ballistics info and compare it with your gun. I have found that Hornady HMR ammo is close to spot on with their published info and my rifle.

The Hornady ammo indeed has very accurate readings when shot through my Chrony.

The bipod you have on there is a Leapers/UTG bipod. It'll allow you to use the swivel for mounting the bipod as well as for a sling. You plan on replacing the thumb hole stock?

The stock I bought for the Mark II is not a thumbhole it is just a laminate but it is a light sandy blonde.