Squirrel hunting- 44 days!

This was a double lung shot with the 17HMR V-Max I took Sunday afternoon. I guess I'll have to switch to a FMJ round if I'm going to use the 17 HMR on squirrels because the V-Max completely ruined the squirrel.

Sometimes you have to try someone yourself just to see, because seeing is often believing.

Try the Hornady 20gr (if you are already using Hornady.)

This was a double lung shot with the 17HMR V-Max I took Sunday afternoon. I guess I'll have to switch to a FMJ round if I'm going to use the 17 HMR on squirrels because the V-Max completely ruined the squirrel.

Tail's still OK. B)

17 cal?.....head shots work good.

Edited by Dinsdale

Looking forward to it...oldest youngster is finally old enough to hunt in NY!!!

Anyone try for them with a .17 HMR?  (and if so, are all the stories of lost meat true?)

I have a savage 17 cal. that I had aboslutely no luck with. I either use my remington fieldmaster with a 4x scope and cci subsonics or my ruger 10-22 with 3x7 scope with cci high velocity.

• 2 weeks later...

HUge fan of tree rats.. my gun of choice in the early season is my trusted Remington 870, .410 yes its a shotgun but its a small chamber and does great on the bushytail leaping through leaf covered tree tops... after the leaves fall i switch back to the trusted .22 bolt action with a tasco 3x9 scope. anything in 100 yards should go down.. best of luck....

• 2 weeks later...

Doing alright Shawn. Sadly here we only have ground squirrels and the tree squirrels are protected. Sitting over a colony like out here is more suited to a .22 or .223 varmint style rifle. I have the Serria's just over the stateline but will all the regulations its not worth trying to find land to hunt on in CA. I had been tinkering with selling my rig, but I cant bring myself to do it. I have been able to use it a time or two for pest control on raccoons and the like.

The Mrod will be getting and doing some jack rabbit damage here soon....

Ive taken a raccoon or two, drop and crumple with one right to the crown or around the ear from the side. The say coyotes can be taken with it in 30yards with it tuned for power. Mine is still sitting at where it came from the factory.

I miss squirrel season pretty bad back there

Ive taken a raccoon or two, drop and crumple with one right to the crown or around the ear from the side. The say coyotes can be taken with it in 30yards with it tuned for power. Mine is still sitting at where it came from the factory.

I miss squirrel season pretty bad back there

Walt, drop by and we'll hit some woods buddy. I'm sure you still have family to "visit" back here! If not, tell the wife you found your long lost brother!

http://news.national...ampaign=Content

Okay fellas. Time to shoot away!

List them as unprotected for a season or two and or extend the season into about April. All I know is I got close to 130 greys(in one WMA area and pest control around the house) and nary made a dent in the population.

Walt, drop by and we'll hit some woods buddy. I'm sure you still have family to "visit" back here! If not, tell the wife you found your long lost brother!

Indeed. I still do have some family back in Binghamton and I still got hunting buddies up in the Albany area.