New smoker. Need tips.

zeus1gdsm

Got me a smoker for chrustmas.

Just a nice little starter propane job.

Need tips for a venison roast tomorrow. Ideal temp and time?

I also need to get a wireless or wired thermometer. Some utensils and gloves.

I have a little of bit of smoke coming out the sides of the door gaps, dont worry about or is there a DIY fix?

Doing a break in now.

Oiled all surfaces after cleaning. Doing a mesquite soaked 10 hrs. And the water from the soaking mixed with guiness.7e6c1f356a3b6ab9e059d10f397c3cc7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Zeus, I have a similar smoker, I installed a regulator in line between the tank and the smoker because even on the lowest setting the smoker was too hot. I couldn't maintain a temp around 200-220. Now I can control it much better. I second the probe and thermometer as you will need to watch the internal temps. Also remember that most meats only absorb smoke for about 6 hours after that you are just slow cooking. So as Turkeyfeathers said finish it in a crock pot. I usually use our electric roaster as I do 2- 8 lb pork butts at the same time and they fit better in the roaster.

Have fun with it, it's always a learning experience and soon you will be loving everything you put in it. I've done pork butts, venison stuffed with italian sausage, venison pepper sticks, chicken thighs, Baltimore pit beef, and more. I have always wanted to do chicken wings, just can't seem to justify the cost when thighs are so much cheaper!

I agree with taco... somewhat. 

Don't use a regulator to adjust the flame. Use a needle valve. The adjustable regulator is a higher pressure regulator used for a turkey fryer.  I may work, but a safer route is a needle valve.  Lots of info out there. Google needle valve for propane smoker, and you can read for days. 

Don't worry about a little smoke escaping from the door.  Definitely keep the exhaust wide open. You want clean smoke,  thin blue smoke, TBS, is what your looking for. Don't soak your chips.  Make foil pouches with chips inside, and poke holes in the foil. The reason they manufacturers say to soak the chips is because they end up igniting if there dry.  U may have to raise the burn pot some. I changed my burn pot to a small cast iron skillet. Worked a lot better. I ended up ditching the burn pot and did the mailbox mod. You can Google that too.  With a few simple mods and a little time, these smokers are a workhorse putting out some fantastic Q.   

Have fun with the new smoker. 

• 3 weeks later...