Online Ammo Purchases

moog5050

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Bob

How much are you saving in terms of cost by reloading in general.  I know it will vary but 20, 30 or 40%.  I know there are benfits beyond cost savings such as dialing in your own load but I am just curious if the cost is a major factor.  Starting get some odd-ish calibers where reloading may make more sense or just when I shoot a lot.

Honestly the biggest expense (besides the reloading equipment) is the brass.

Let me use my -06 as an example.  sierra game king bullets like I hunt with

Bullets .28 per

Primers .03 per

Powder .23 per

Total .54 a round and could go cheaper for plinking. 

Winchester brass is about .50 a round but lets say we just get 5 reloads out of it (I get more). That is .10 a round for brass. 

.64 per round . That is $12.80 a box of 20

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Honestly the biggest expense (besides the reloading equipment) is the brass.

Let me use my -06 as an example.  sierra game king bullets like I hunt with

Bullets .28 per

Primers .03 per

Powder .23 per

Total .54 a round and could go cheaper for plinking. 

Winchester brass is about .50 a round but lets say we just get 5 reloads out of it (I get more). That is .10 a round for brass. 

.64 per round . That is $12.80 a box of 20

That's pretty good.  So close to 50% savings with the ability to work up the optimal load. 

• Like 1

I can reload .45acp for roughly 12 cents a round vs 25-30 for factory. But again none factors in time. If you try to reload to save money you've got another thing coming. You'll just wind up shooting more and likely spending more.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

That's pretty good.  So close to 50% savings with the ability to work up the optimal load. 

smaller case calibers will be even less and magnums and big bore could be more. The # for powder figured about 55 grains of powder per round.  My 357 I load 9...lol For my my -06 and 270 are my biggest cases and worst case scenario. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Jerkman said:

I can reload .45acp for roughly 12 cents a round vs 25-30 for factory. But again none factors in time. If you try to reload to save money you've got another thing coming. You'll just wind up shooting more and likely spending more.

I would like to learn for the uncommon ammo like 458 socom, 6.8 spc and 224 valk but cost savings is further justification.

I would like to learn for the uncommon ammo like 458 socom, 6.8 spc and 224 valk but cost savings is further justification.
Moogie you come down my neck of the woods and I can show you 458 Socom. Got a good reload recipe. It won't break any speed records but is submoa at 100

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

lol - it seems very complicated to the uninitiated.  I should watch you load some to get an idea.

with what I have seen you do with archery equipment. This won't even compare. You are organized and precise and you have the perfect area to set up up so it isn't going up and down all the time. 

The one manual I have is the Lee manual . I really think it does a great job of walking someone through step by step so you understand not only what to do but why you are doing it.  I am not going to be working up any loads and I have two others, but let's meet up and I'll let you borrow it to read through it. Great time of year to do this...lol

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

with what I have seen you do with archery equipment. This won't even compare. You are organized and precise and you have the perfect area to set up up so it isn't going up and down all the time.   

And all my fingers will stay connected?  lol

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

And all my fingers will stay connected?  lol

The one manual I have is the Lee manual . I really think it does a great job of walking someone through step by step so you understand not only what to do but why you are doing it.  I am not going to be working up any loads and I have two others, but let's meet up and I'll let you borrow it to read through it. Great time of year to do this...lol

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

....Great time of year to do this...lol

huhhh..... don't you have a banquet and stuff to plan?! lol seems i can't find time for anything even when i think i haven't got anything but time.  i'd be a sucker for that endeavor though too if i was in your shoes. Moog seems like he'd pick things up real quick.

20 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

huhhh..... don't you have a banquet and stuff to plan?! lol seems i can't find time for anything even when i think i haven't got anything but time.  i'd be a sucker for that endeavor though too if i was in your shoes. Moog seems like he'd pick things up real quick.

Need some more donations and chase some more underwriting but for the most part its in good shape. The last week before is the nuts week. getting supplemental purchases done once we see where all the donations are. Then printing all the signage. Online ticket sales is ahead of last year this far out so I think we may hit a new high and I'll have to close the ticket sales or squeeze more tables in. I don't like it crowded and no walking room though. 

Just now, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Need some more donations and chase some more underwriting but for the most part its in good shape. The last week before is the nuts week. getting supplemental purchases done once we see where all the donations are. Then printing all the signage. Online ticket sales is ahead of last year this far out so I think we may hit a new high and I'll have to close the ticket sales or squeeze more tables in. I don't like it crowded and no walking room though. 

same here.  we initially planned on more people but put a firm cut off when we figured out how much better having room to walk around and loiter is. week leading into the event is always insane for us with last minute sponsors and items to place. i hear ya.

26 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I seem to have lost an inch since my 20's. Damn gravity. Can you make me taller for cheap?

I do have a medieval rack in my basement.  Stop by.  A few sessions should do it.  Tacks was only 5'8" when I first met him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1