Knife Steel

DirtTime

On 2/24/2019 at 6:55 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

c945f5b36dacfc4b8203402b980230b4.jpgA contractor gave me this knife but it’s beat. It’s a Canadian Air Force survival knife or something like that. The tip is missing about 1/16”. Id like to get it cleaned up and repaired someday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure if there's a sentimental value there, if not, it might be cheaper to just buy a new one then repairing.

https://www.amazon.com/Ontario-Force-Survival-Knife-Black/dp/B001CZDQPI

A word on why I didn't really want to go with the Ka-Bar USMC. The big thing is they aren't 100% full tang, they have a taper inside the handle, I think they call it a rat tail tang/rat tang or something like that. I just wanted 100% full tang.

Speaking of wives reaction to knives, I would rather my wife reacted like airdales wife instead of just being like "It's a knife.". :|

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:18 PM, Rob... said:

Boom son!
That was fast, no express shipping and here in a few days.
Nice n' hefty. No rattling from the sheath. Sharp as a razor.
c99d5daf3356da7cfdfeb5f287110bc4.jpg

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

how do you like the quality of the knife? 

20 minutes ago, rachunter said:

how do you like the quality of the knife? 

I haven't really put to any major tests yet, but over all so far, I like it. It's hefty and pretty thick. All I have done so far really is shave some wood to test the spark from a ferro rod. As most know, staring a fire this way isn't as easy as "TV" makes it look. After a few tries it worked out fine. But I have no plans to baby this knife, nor do I want to put it through the tests they do on YouTube.

In my personal opinion? I think I got the best "bang for my buck" knife for what I wanted it for. Time will tell.

Oh, and I will add, "This blade WILL KILL!".

• Like 4

I picked up an Ozark Trail knife yesterday from Wallyworld, not because I wanted the knife, but it came with a ferro rod. Neither are the best, but for $10 I was very surprised the ferro rod isn't bad, and the cheapy knife even worked to create a spark and light up some dryer lint. I was so surprised when I tested I actually made a video. LOL!

Edited by Rob...
  • Like 3

I picked up some clearance camping gear at Walmart the other day. $2 insulated metal water container, $5 cooking kit, $15 water filter adapter kit (replaces lid of water bottle). Some of the stuff they carry is not a bad value at all.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, goosifer said:

I picked up some clearance camping gear at Walmart the other day. $2 insulated metal water container, $5 cooking kit, $15 water filter adapter kit (replaces lid of water bottle). Some of the stuff they carry is not a bad value at all.

I agree, some of the 'lower brands ' ( as many like to call them ) work fine. It's how you take care of things IMO.

I honestly only bought the knife for the ferro rod, and was surprised that they functioned. I will say, I would not recommend the knife for anything more then basic car camping things, IE- cutting para cord, or rope, or making hot dog sticks. It's uncomfortable, very thin, and even out of the package had a slight curve to it. I don't even want to try and guess what the steel is, maybe, MAYBE,  440SS, and that's reaching. That said, the knife will find a home in my car camping gear, the ferro rod in my back country gear.

Anyone interested in the video let me know. It's a bit long at almost 20 minutes, but that's because I talk a little about the knives I have, ferro rods, and even give a small beer review. But I would post a link to anyone interested.

Knives are like guns, you can never have to many!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rob... said:

I agree, some of the 'lower brands ' ( as many like to call them ) work fine. It's how you take care of things IMO.

I honestly only bought the knife for the ferro rod, and was surprised that they functioned. I will say, I would not recommend the knife for anything more then basic car camping things, IE- cutting para cord, or rope, or making hot dog sticks. It's uncomfortable, very thin, and even out of the package had a slight curve to it. I don't even want to try and guess what the steel is, maybe, MAYBE,  440SS, and that's reaching. That said, the knife will find a home in my car camping gear, the ferro rod in my back country gear.

Anyone interested in the video let me know. It's a bit long at almost 20 minutes, but that's because I talk a little about the knives I have, ferro rods, and even give a small beer review. But I would post a link to anyone interested.

I'd like to see your video, Rob. pm me a link if you can't post it publicly.

I bought my "starter" bushcraft knife last year from Walmart for $12. It was meant as something to get me started. But you know what, I like it so much, it is still my go to small knife. Here is the link (OOS) https://www.walmart.com/ip/Real-Avid-Viscera-FX/44781888

18 minutes ago, goosifer said:

I'd like to see your video, Rob. pm me a link if you can't post it publicly.

I bought my "starter" bushcraft knife last year from Walmart for $12. It was meant as something to get me started. But you know what, I like it so much, it is still my go to small knife. Here is the link (OOS) https://www.walmart.com/ip/Real-Avid-Viscera-FX/44781888

Here's the link, just be warned, I am new to this talking to a camera thing, but I am trying to get better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWMATmGBSX0

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Cool video !!! Did you ever try a piece of hacksaw blade with the ferro rod. 

That's something I only heard about a few years ago. From what I have read, seen, and understand, it works very well to get a spark, just haven't tried it, mainly, because I don't have any busted hacksaw blades laying around.

• Like 1

Rob, you might want to try holding the knife/striker still, and pulling back on the ferro rod. Less likely to disturb your tinder that way.

Check out the big boy ferro rod (1/2" x 5") link Lot more surface area to work with.

For a book on knives, take a look at link I read it last year and found it informative.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Rob, you might want to try holding the knife/striker still, and pulling back on the ferro rod. Less likely to disturb your tinder that way.

Check out the big boy ferro rod (1/2" x 5") link Lot more surface area to work with.

For a book on knives, take a look at link I read it last year and found it informative.

Thanks for sharing.

I want to try what a buddy suggested, hold the ferro rod on the tip of your boot, and as you said, pull up for a better spark. I am out of practice, this used to be second nature to me, trying get it all dialed in again.

• Like 1

I won a camping basket last night with a lot of that cheaper stuff but it all looks pretty decent, I will put it to good use 495edb24185351c8ea995044211e2753.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I won a camping basket last night with a lot of that cheaper stuff but it all looks pretty decent, I will put it to good use 495edb24185351c8ea995044211e2753.jpg

Nice haul.

The Outdoor Products stuff has a lifetime warranty, as does some of the Ozark Trail stuff (I know the red water bottle for sure has a lifetime warranty; I picked up two of them at Walmart for $2 each on clearance the other day.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, goosifer said:

Nice haul.

The Outdoor Products stuff has a lifetime warranty, as does some of the Ozark Trail stuff (I know the red water bottle for sure has a lifetime warranty; I picked up two of them at Walmart for $2 each on clearance the other day.)

Have you had a hot drink in the bottle? does it stay hot?

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Have you had a hot drink in the bottle? does it stay hot?

Haven't used it yet. The product description and reviews only talk about using it for water/cold drinks. Given the style of lid, I think it would be dicey to use for hot liquids. You looking for one for coffee/tea?

Also, fyi, several reviews complained of rust forming inside the water bottle. I guess they are made with steel instead of aluminum.

16 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Haven't used it yet. The product description and reviews only talk about using it for water/cold drinks. Given the style of lid, I think it would be dicey to use for hot liquids. You looking for one for coffee/tea?

Also, fyi, several reviews complained of rust forming inside the water bottle. I guess they are made with steel instead of aluminum.

Mine says "Caution beverages remain hot for several hours" on it. I just filled it with tap water and took a reading: 117.1. Ill check it again this afternoon. (Yes, I work from home lol)

14 hours ago, goosifer said:

Thanks for sharing.

I want to get one of the larger ferro rods down the road. To get a better grip I will add some duct tape to one end, the tape will also have other uses as well. I might get that book, looks a like a good read.

14 hours ago, Storm914 said:

It's very good rob if that is the first time doing this I would say you are a natural at .Definitely have  some talent keep it up .

Not my first time. I used to camp in the back woods a lot when I was younger, I still get out there when I can. I just want to get back into doing things that test me.

12 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

No flies on that haul! Also that browning knife looks pretty solid.