2019 Baseball Thread

grampy

The 2018 Astros team was even better, but Sox dismantled that 103 win team.
In 2017, everything went right for Yanks and they had 3-2 series lead of astros. They needed to finish. When things go right, you gotta ride it all the way! The 2017 Yanks reminded me 2013 Red Sox with no pre-season expectation but then everything goes right.
who do you think Yanks get? Stroman, Robbie Ray? ZERO chance they Noah.
I have a sinking suspicion that stroman is this year's version of Denny Nagle, Esteban Loiza, Sonny Gray or J Happ. An upgrade potentially but not a difference maker. As good as cashman may be assembling a batting order, he is awful on the mound (is Javier Vasquez still pitching). We would have to beat Verlander potentially three times in a game set. No one to match as an ace on this team and I don't see the names they are talking about making a diff.

Torres and Andujar for Scherzer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have a sinking suspicion that stroman is this year's version of Denny Nagle, Esteban Loiza, Sonny Gray or J Happ. An upgrade potentially but not a difference maker. As good as cashman may be assembling a batting order, he is awful on the mound (is Javier Vasquez still pitching). We would have to beat Verlander potentially three times in a game set. No one to match as an ace on this team and I don't see the names they are talking about making a diff.

Torres and Andujar for Scherzer.

I don’t know if Scherzer is available I don’t think he is. Gleyber isn’t going anywhere. Florial and Frazier will be gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Betts 3HR In 4 innings. Got a chance at history to hit 4 in one game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a Sawx fan. But I am a huge Mookie fan!

Gotta love the way that kid plays the game.

48 minutes ago, grampy said:

I'm not a Sawx fan. But I am a huge Mookie fan!

Gotta love the way that kid plays the game.

That's what I have been telling @sodfather and @The_Real_TCIII. What's note to love about a guy who plays all facets of the game. He might be the best defender and baserunner in baseball. His offense is pretty damn good too. and he's only 26 years old! It's easy to forget how young these guys are because they been around so long. Xander is 26 also with 2 rings already. Devers is 22!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

That's what I have been telling @sodfather and @The_Real_TCIII. What's note to love about a guy who plays all facets of the game. He might be the best defender and baserunner in baseball. His offense is pretty damn good too. and he's only 26 years old! It's easy to forget how young these guys are because they been around so long. Xander is 26 also with 2 rings already. Devers is 22!

Isn't he a PBa bowler too? 

• Like 1

Come on man..Cone just said that the Yankees are looking to CC to “stop the bleeding” tomorrow and he’s great after they lose to eat up innings. I’m a yankee fan and I can’t even say that with a straight face.
CC ain’t getting out of the 5th(dare I say 4th) inning.

• Like 2

I don’t know if Scherzer is available I don’t think he is. Gleyber isn’t going anywhere. Florial and Frazier will be gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don't disagree that the chances are thin, but we have to do something. I'd be more than happy to give up gleyber and andujar for a top of the line ace. You'd have to figure packaging those two together would get something legit in return. At the rate we are going the bullpen will be on fumes come playoffs and our starting pitching sucks.

On 7/25/2019 at 8:51 AM, grampy said:

Yanks at Sox starting tonight. Could this be the nail in the coffin for the BoSox season????  At the very least for AL east?  We will see! 11 games back right now.

Guess I was caught way off base with this! As Boston has pummeled the Yanks in the first two games. At the very least it has kick started the Red Sox, with still plenty of time to make a run. It ain't over till it's over!

If this doesn't slap Cashman in the face, with what the Yanks are facing nothing will. But he didn't seem too concerned in the interview he gave yesterday??? C'mon man, Wake Up!!!! Your pitching has given up almost 30 runs in two games!!!! And there isn't anyone that appears to be able to stop the onslaught at this time! Everyone in the starting rotation looks shakey and beat. 

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I’d love a Sox / Cards WS like 2004 and 2013 lol

That’s ok as long as those Yankees have long since , gone home .

• Like 1

Here’s a thought that popped in my overly vacuous mind....if MLB teams carry 12-14 pitchers why not staff your own with 12-14 “closer” types....guys with 1-2 pitches that can “empty the tank” for a very abbreviated game for them. Everybody gets 1-2 innings every game depending on pitch count.
Positives- hitters can’t get too comfortable seeing the same guy 2 or 3 times; fresh arm every inning or so; match up stronger arms with top of line up.
Negatives- can arms recover night to night even with limited pitches; getting pitchers to commit to that without ability to “build their stats;” costly.

Here’s a thought that popped in my overly vacuous mind....if MLB teams carry 12-14 pitchers why not staff your own with 12-14 “closer” types....guys with 1-2 pitches that can “empty the tank” for a very abbreviated game for them. Everybody gets 1-2 innings every game depending on pitch count.
Positives- hitters can’t get too comfortable seeing the same guy 2 or 3 times; fresh arm every inning or so; match up stronger arms with top of line up.
Negatives- can arms recover night to night even with limited pitches; getting pitchers to commit to that without ability to “build their stats;” costly.

They can’t recover and closers are streaky, that’s why Starters are needed in playoffs. Any bullpen can get hot for October. Sox bullpen sucked last year and then Kelly/Brasier went lights out.

If Sox get in playoffs, we are dangerous. Sale, Price, E Rod as starters and Eovaldi, Porcello, Cashner In bullpen. Similar to last year. Every out counts

Starters are also streaky (current yankee run -albeit they are not the strongest group to begin with) and current closers recover and often pitch multiple days in a row.

If you are set up to go this route and one guys has a crappy inning, he’s done after that inning. Don’t need to watch the shit show we’ve seen the last two nights waiting for him to find it or the offense to catch up. And the hitter doesn’t get to see him again right after he just sent a ball deep(MB last night).

Waiting to hear back from Cashman to discuss this further. Sabermetrics will be replaced with Crappymetrics (May need to work on the name!)

• Like 1

Starters are also streaky (current yankee run -albeit they are not the strongest group to begin with) and current closers recover and often pitch multiple days in a row.

If you are set up to go this route and one guys has a crappy inning, he’s done after that inning. Don’t need to watch the shit show we’ve seen the last two nights waiting for him to find it or the offense to catch up. And the hitter doesn’t get to see him again right after he just sent a ball deep(MB last night).

Waiting to hear back from Cashman to discuss this further. Sabermetrics will be replaced with Crappymetrics (May need to work on the name!)

If Cashman doesn’t get a bit time starter and yanks don’t win WS, he will be found in Harlem River with cement shoes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

If Cashman doesn’t get a bit time starter and yanks don’t win WS, he will be found in Harlem River with cement shoes

As well he should be! Anytime ANY team has a legitimate shot at a WS, the GM and owners, should give their team all it needs to try and make it happen! Cashman is not doing that, as far as I can see at this point. But what do I know.... I'm just a fan.

• Like 2

As well he should be! Anytime ANY team has a legitimate shot at a WS, the GM and owners, should give their team all it needs to try and make it happen! Cashman is not doing that, as far as I can see at this point. But what do I know.... I'm just a fan.

It’s only Saturday...plenty of time!