snipers shooting deer in East Amherst

goosifer

8 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Since they have been doing it for 25 years, they have gotten pretty good at it.   A trained police officer, with a scoped rifle, is far less likely to make a poor shot than a "recreational" bow-hunter.   Imagine the outcry, if a deer with an arrow thru its neck, was to appear in a school yard just as the kids were getting on or off the buses.   

The Amherst police are doing an exceptional job.   The fact that the venison is being used by food banks makes a big difference.  It is easy to take pokes at this situation, from a few hundred miles away, but if you had to drive thru that town every week day to get to work like I do you would appreciate it more. 

The hunting on my side of Transit road (in a town where hunting is still legal) was a bit easier back in the days when more of that " Amherst overflow" spilled over.  I don't mind having to hunt a bit harder and travel a bit more in order to fill the freezer these days.  If it were not such a fun activity, it might bother me more.   I love not needing to pay collision shops and insurance agents to fix up my car, and my wife loves the looks of all the pretty bushes around the house.       

Good heavens you've NEVER made so much sense!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rattler said:

Actually, if the police were still allowed to do it on their own time, every benefit you cite here exists if bow hunters do the job.

That you Stormy?

JHC, do you understand the success ratio between gun and bow?  Do you understand that many of the areas that they are killing deer would not be conducive to an arrowed deer going 100 yards before succumbing to a well placed lung shot?  

These deer are baited in and shot under the cover of darkness when most people are sleeping or in their abode.  The police have specialized vehicles to support the operation and multiple deer are killed at the same time and processed accordingly.

How many deer do you really think archers are going to take in a season compared to the above?

20 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

That you Stormy?

JHC, do you understand the success ratio between gun and bow?  Do you understand that many of the areas that they are killing deer would not be conducive to an arrowed deer going 100 yards before succumbing to a well placed lung shot?  

These deer are baited in and shot under the cover of darkness when most people are sleeping or in their abode.  The police have specialized vehicles to support the operation and multiple deer are killed at the same time and processed accordingly.

How many deer do you really think archers are going to take in a season compared to the above?

Nope I'm low rank here that is between you guys I'm staying out of it this time .

I already got high blood pressure as it is I'm trying to get down.  I will say this if deer need  to be taken out fast for safety reasons  in a area I don't see what is a faster way then law enforcement doing it since they can  get there hands on specialized equipment silencers and Such to hunt at night   bait  do what ever it takes,  which  a hunter is not allowed to do . or if possible let the hunters have there shot in the day and law enforcement do there thing at night . 

Edited by Storm914

On 3/9/2019 at 8:41 PM, NonTypical said:

The USDA has been doing it here on Long Island for years. Mostly in State Parks and Brookhaven National Laboratory. The use corn, night vision scopes, and silencers. They can pretty much wipe out an entire location in no time. 

"okay i'm done here. i accept cash or credit." hell of a job to have.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:23 PM, Dinsdale said:

LOL....they'd freak out even more if they knew a member here filled many damage permits taking heads shots with a 223 for a few years.

Heck they shoot polar bears with .223 and kill them, at range with no pressure any round will kill put in right spot