Tred Barta

fasteddie

Hats off to Tred Barta . I caught part of a show this am on the VERSUS channel where he had gone on a bear hunt . The guide wanted him to sit on the beach and garunteed he would get a black bear with his longbow .

Tred wanted to "spot and stalk" and on at least 20 occasions got within 40 yards of a bear but wanted a 20 yard shot . The guide was frustrated with Barta because he didn't take a 50 yard shot and wouldn't sit and wait .

Tred never took a shot but he "hunted his way" and stuck to it . It was an interesting show for a change !

If you keep watching his show you will grow more frustrated with him with each episode. He's not as ethical as you may think. I've seen shows where he takes one wild shot after another until he finally connects on a gut shot and then jumps up and down celebrating his perfect hit. 

I have to agree with this.  I am not a regular watcher of any hunting show, but I have also seen him flail away arrow after arrow hoping for a hit.  Some seem to think he is the purest of TV hunters out there, but to me that kind of crazy "hail mary" type of shooting doesn't exactly make him stand out for the better amongst the other celebrity hunters.  At least he doesn't hunt in enclosures from what I heard, so I will give credit for that.

I was flipping through the channels once and stumbled onto one of his shows.  He was in a van because they had tree'd a bear.  A couple of guys then bought him out of the van, placed him in his wheelchair, carted him over mud and debris, over to a tree.  There was maybe 15 people waiting under the tree with a few hounds and a bear scared out of his wits.  They bough him over and handed him a crossbow.  He took aim and took two shots to bring the bear down.  He bragged about how great it felt.  The guys then carted him back to the van.  I stood there thinking they just handed this bear to him in a silver plate.  I understand that he is handicapped now and people with disabilities should not be denied their rights to hunt.  I don't care how you look at it, he did not hunt this bear down.  He murdered the bear.  Plain and simple.  I turned the channel in disgust.

I was flipping through the channels once and stumbled onto one of his shows.  He was in a van because they had tree'd a bear.  A couple of guys then bought him out of the van, placed him in his wheelchair, carted him over mud and debris, over to a tree.  There was maybe 15 people waiting under the tree with a few hounds and a bear scared out of his wits.  They bough him over and handed him a crossbow.  He took aim and took two shots to bring the bear down.  He bragged about how great it felt.  The guys then carted him back to the van.  I stood there thinking they just handed this bear to him in a silver plate.  I understand that he is handicapped now and people with disabilities should not be denied their rights to hunt.  I don't care how you look at it, he did not hunt this bear down.  He murdered the bear.  Plain and simple.  I turned the channel in disgust.

sounds like the one I saw. I hunted a bear in Maine over a bait bucket I can not get around too good becuse of a truck accadent I has a few years back But what he did I did not consder a fair hunt they used dogs to smell the bear out then they sent other dogs to track and tree the bear so Tred could DRIVE UP and shoot him

Papabear

I can understand you feeling this way. It's a shame he ended up handicapped but there are a lot of people out there in the same situation. I think it's a good thing he still practices what he loves. Bear hunting is pretty much done like that wether your handicapped or not. Dog chases bear, bear climbs tree and hunter shoots bear. 

I really have no use for this type of hunting but some do, to each his own.

I loved watching the Tred Barta show. It is a shame he was struck down so young and I am very impressed that he does not let his condition stop him.

I can't believe any of you can find fault in what he is doing.

I guy in a wheelchair trying to hunt a bear with a bow. How is that bad but it's okay for a guy to sit in a box blind with a scoped rifle and shot a deer across a field is okay?

Like Fasteddie said "hats off to Tred Barta"!!!!

I loved watching the Tred Barta show. It is a shame he was struck down so young and I am very impressed that he does not let his condition stop him.

I guy in a wheelchair trying to hunt a bear with a bow. How is that bad but it's okay for a guy to sit in a box blind with a scoped rifle and shot a deer across a field is okay?

I don't think anyone is finding fault with him trying to hunt with a disability.  I think it has to do more with the way he hunted well before his disability.  However I do know that if I were ever to become too old or disabled I would just hang it up and try to find easier pastimes.  I just couldn't imagine asking people to carry me into the woods and go out of their way for me to get some kicks.  Just not my way.  I would rather not hunt, than have people struggle and going out of their way for me.  I did once see a program where a parapalegic was being given credit for climbing a mountain.  All he did was get strapped onto the backs of different people while they carried him up.  Was real nice of those people to do that for him, but what did this parapalegic really accomplish other than give a good many people a lot of hard work?  I know that I may sound cruel here to some, but just pointing out some realities to stuff like this.

Hunting is a sport.  Whether physical or mental, you're pitting your skills against that of an animal.  Yes, you can sit on top of a tree with a rifle and shoot a deer a few hundred yards out.  I use think there was no challenge in it.  The deer can't shoot back so where's the competition?  Until I tried it.  I saw no deer at all.  That's when I realized there is so much more to it.  The months of scouting.  The knowledge of the deers behavior.  Even the hours spent training a dog to hunt is a skill.  No random city slicker like me can just walk into the woods and shoot a deer.  How Tred Barta shot that bear, you could have literally grabbed any idiot out in the street and they could have killed that bear just the same with that kind of support Tred had.  I have nothing against people with disabilities enjoying the sport of huntig and I fully support it.  But let's keep the fact that it is still suppose to be a challenge and a test of ones skills.

sorry to hear that he's in a wheel chair.. never did understand his hunting style or lack there of.. one show I cant forget was a him on a caribou hunt.. after getting close to the herd he devised the plan and briefed his guide.. in short he was gonna get close run and shoot at em.. he reminded me of a child chasing ducks in the park.. didn't hit a thing but was happy as hell. I guess the most educational thing was that he showed how not to hunt  :)  give him props on the bear though..