Virgin Campers

Steve D

First-Time Camper Program Announced for 2019First-Time Camper family enjoys camping on their first day at their site

Have you ever wanted to try camping before but just not sure how to start? New York will once again provide First-Time Camper weekends this summer. Established in 2017 with eight participating parks, this program will include 11 campgrounds over nine weekends from June until after Labor Day with locations across the state. New campers will receive a family tent, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, camp chairs, lantern, and even firewood. A camping ambassador will meet families upon arrival and help them get set up with a camping 101 lesson. Throughout the weekend, there will be even more opportunities to learn from experts how to fish, hike, paddle, bird watch and more.

To apply, sign up through the online lottery system between May 10 to May 12.

Learn more about the 2019 program. Watch  a video, and get inspired to go camp

• Like 7

I’m in ! They’ll give me the gear at the campground , so I don’t have to pack and unload mine, help with set up, I’m sure they’re better at this then the Mrs .

And take me fishing ! Hope they bait the hook, that worm smell never comes off my hands .

• Like 2