Keep your knife sharp .....

Nomad

Ok I won’t question his decision to stick his foot where he did , other then complacency and rushing can lead to poor decisions that sometimes you pay for . He has a great attitude and apparently a sharp knife . My guess is he cut his foot off, then at the hospital ,they cut the leg a bit higher due to damage up higher .

https://www.keloland.com/news/local-news/nebraska-farmer-back-on-his-farm-after-cutting-leg-off/2008316408

• Like 1

Tough old farmer. He's lucky to have not bled out before help arrived.

Since going to work at the school district 16 years ago, I rarely carry a knife with me anymore. Even while at the farm. And I usually end up needing one and don't have it. Got to get myself in the habit again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grampy said:

Tough old farmer. He's lucky to have not bled out before help arrived.

Since going to work at the school district 16 years ago, I rarely carry a knife with me anymore. Even while at the farm. And I usually end up needing one and don't have it. Got to get myself in the habit again.

I hear you ! Carried one every day since about ten y/o , lucky for me knives were almost required at my job ,and most guys carried two, one in uniform pocket, the other in bunker coat pocket .

Today , many local venues are wanding people , and it bothers me that an old guy, former city FF twenty year emt can’t carry a Swiss Army knife or Leatherman tool . Many MLB parks have loosened up and now let Smaller knives in , they don’t even glance a second time when you ,put it in the basket before you walk through detector, common sense .

If you look at the Vegas shooting ,Boston bombing, many people were turned into first responders , removing victims clothes to access wounds, and making dressings out of t shirts and so on ,small knife would be handy .

Or maybe just to cut up a slice of pizza ......

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

I hear you ! Carried one every day since about ten y/o , lucky for me knives were almost required at my job ,and most guys carried two, one in uniform pocket, the other in bunker coat pocket .

Today , many local venues are wanding people , and it bothers me that an old guy, former city FF twenty year emt can’t carry a Swiss Army knife or Leatherman tool . Many MLB parks have loosened up and now let Smaller knives in , they don’t even glance a second time when you ,put it in the basket before you walk through detector, common sense .

If you look at the Vegas shooting ,Boston bombing, many people were turned into first responders , removing victims clothes to access wounds, and making dressings out of t shirts and so on ,small knife would be handy .

Or maybe just to cut up a slice of pizza ......

My wife and I went to Cleveland to see a comedy show ,it wasn't til we got to the head of the line we realized they had a guard with a wand ,just out of habit I touched my right hip to realize I was carrying my benchmade. I told my wife and she quickly went in to ride or die mode and stuffed it in her purse as we walked to the guard . Nuts we can't even carry a small knife around these days.

• Like 1

Sometimes they say , “put your cell and keys in an outstretched hand “ I put knife under phone . Mostly the don’t wand near your feet either , just around pockets , belt area .

Ive put my .380 in coat pocket and opened it wide ,being helpful,  that keeps it away from wand as they just pass over pants pockets .

Its really about not slowing the line down, not any real security.

• Like 1

The only knife I carry now is a folder with a utility blade in it. It slips into the coin pocket of my jeans very neatly. I have no illusions about being able to really defend myself with it, I just grew up knowing that knives come in handy sometimes. Farm wisdom, I guess.