Rochester fire fighter exam

Nomad

It’s Nov 2, the written part , the physical part will be 6-8 weeks after ,followed by, your background ( done by the PD, about 40 hours) interviews , Drs exam and so forth . You’ll need a clean background , including good credit score, clean driving record ,work and school history .

Now the list is good for four years, the current list has no one on it to hire anymore, in other words if you passed with a 70 and had a good background you got hired, contrast that to when I got on ,I had a 94 on the test and was nervous if I’d make it !  So few take it today ....

Now if you loved playing sports, you’ll love the job, teamwork ,physical job and all that , if you were military please take it, you get points towards score as well , you’ll love it , command structure, team oriented, sogs and all that .

Firefighters ( rank of) are making in the ‘80s once at full pay ,pension and healthcare . I went out as an LT , 113k my final year .

the info is on the cities web page , and you need to be a city resident 90 days prior to the physical exam which will fall mid Dec. You’ll need to sign up soon , so get that city address ......

Now the down side , I have two close friends with seriously broken backs, a few with broken legs,ribs and arms . Expect to retire with a limp, or some sort of joint issues , not unlike any other physical job. I made it out ,with only a few joint issues, 8 or so trips to the emergency room  and one surgery on my spine . Cancer is my biggest fear , we get it at a rate far above the general public, but we only had on set of goods, never washed them ,and I never showered after a fire, or put my mask on till my eyes and lungs were burning , they’re smarter today ......

Honestly, if you’re now or soon can be a city resident,give it some thought . You’ll work, nights ,weekends and holidays and love every day of it . The last list and this next one will be THE ones to be on they can’t keep up with retirements, and the number of test takers is down. 

Good luck. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Sounds like a pretty good gig for the right person. Just curious, why don't you shower after a fire?

When you’re get back the emphasis was on getting the rig and tools back in order, saws cleaned and fueled, masks cleaned . By The time that was done you were no longer sweaty, so many would just wash their face maybe put on a clean t shirt .

If it was night time I’d just want to grab some Z’s, then shower after my morning workout  . Daytime same thing along with eating something , so, I’d shower at home later .

You’ll smell smoke as you shower for a couple days after .

when I started no one really knew much about the cancer risk ,today they learn about it and steps to take in the academy to lessonthe risk  ,also the dept issues two sets of goods and you can have them laundered anytime .

• Like 1

I have a Neighbor who's son just tried college and decided it wasn't for him and now wants to be a Firefighter .... he's 18 .  I suggested he join the local Firehouse and volunteer for a couple years and wait for the exam to come up in Albany / Troy / Schenectady . The kid is/was an Eagle Scout but has zero working experience . Not sure what other advice to give him .

• Like 1

As I remember, Onondaga Community College in Syracuse had a firematics oriented program for individuals interested in the field. I know also that at least one (Liverpool Fire Department, my former department) had a program for the college enrollees to board at the station, in trade of being on call when in residence. great way of getting experience. I don't know any more details, the program started after I left, but opportunities exist. 

I know quite a few guys who created their own careers after starting as a volunteer, and taking advantage of free training opportunities. Those who don't want to do the books though, usually just hump hose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

As I remember, Onondaga Community College in Syracuse had a firematics oriented program for individuals interested in the field. I know also that at least one (Liverpool Fire Department, my former department) had a program for the college enrollees to board at the station, in trade of being on call when in residence. great way of getting experience. I don't know any more details, the program started after I left, but opportunities exist. 

I know quite a few guys who created their own careers after starting as a volunteer, and taking advantage of free training opportunities. Those who don't want to do the books though, usually just hump hose. 

I think thats what my brother did up there great program. He didnt make it though one night he was on call.  He went to a call involving a bad kid incident and it messed his head up good for a good year.   Give alot of respect to people in those fields its not easy i know alot of volunteer firefighters that have seen some messed up stuff.

• Like 2

I became a NJ volunteer firefighter when I was 30.  I'm 63 now and still do it as a Class A interior firefighter, but now with the department in my NY town.  I'm in great shape for my age and like to stay fit so I can do all the things I enjoy doing.  Being single, staying in shape helps too.  To be a firefighter you have to stay fit.  I was also an EMT in NJ and the Captain of the squad for 5 years before they went to career service in the town's EMS.  Never saved any lives directly as a firefighter, but saved a couple as an EMT.  Delivered a baby on the side of the road once too. 

I saw a lot of gruesome stuff as a volunteer over the years, but I was used to it, having grown up in a family funeral home and working part time for the county morgue when I was younger.  I hate to think I'm cold, but I've learned it's a fact of life and I'm there to assist as much as I can, no matter how bad the victim is.  I even help when they are gone and just need to be removed from the scene.  I've become fearless of death, and don't even fear my own, but it does make me really appreciate life.

I thought about becoming a career firefighter, but I was over 30 at the time, even though I made it into the top 10% in the civil service exams and physical fitness test when I took it.  I learned how the commissioners can pass over a man 3rd on the civil service list to hire their buddy's kid in 4th place.  Then they reshuffle the deck and jump over you again to hire another friend.  Nepotism was a big problem back in the days of many men applying for the half dozen openings.

Today I would be concerned about working in a govt position where the state can go bankrupt, stop paying you and void your pension.  I'm waiting to see what happens when California goes bankrupt, because I'm certain it's going to happen. 

NY State recently passed a law covering us for cancer if we get it, as long as we've been a volunteer for awhile and still are when it happens.  I've been real good about cleaning my gear and showering after a call over the years and am a big proponent of frequent hand washing.

I'm an old firefighter.  What I do best now is teach younger firefighters how to become an old firefighter.

Sorry for the diatribe, but these things occupy a lot of my mind and it just feels good to let it out every so often.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

I have a Neighbor who's son just tried college and decided it wasn't for him and now wants to be a Firefighter .... he's 18 .  I suggested he join the local Firehouse and volunteer for a couple years and wait for the exam to come up in Albany / Troy / Schenectady . The kid is/was an Eagle Scout but has zero working experience . Not sure what other advice to give him .

My advice is learn The residency requirements, then just keep taking the tests.

At 18 just work and keep taking the tests, and do whatever will give him an advantage, ie become an emt , volunteer, have a back up plan . College, trades whatever . I got on at age 28 !  I wish I started trying at 18 !!!!!

If he learns and follows the rules at some point he should make it . Trouble is at 18 getting on at 25 seems like a lifetime away ,it’s not .

I wish I was there to mentor the kid, maybe become an Emt and work on an ambulance, then just keep taking the fire tests, that’s what many here do .

good luck to him 

Edited by BeIo
  • Like 2

Correction I got married at 28 , got on FD at 31 .

Either become an EMT and work on an ambulance while taking the tests, or joint the military , then he’ll have veterans points to add to his testing score along with the veterans benefits.

We have many who were firefighters in the Air Force , and still are in the reserves .

If Albany’s test isn’t for a couple years, joining the military and coming home for the test should work well .

Theres generally separate tests for city , county and airport , take them all .

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 5:10 PM, BeIo said:

My advice is learn The residency requirements, then just keep taking the tests.

At 18 just work and keep taking the tests, and do whatever will give him an advantage, ie become an emt , volunteer, have a back up plan . College, trades whatever . I got on at age 28 !  I wish I started trying at 18 !!!!!

If he learns and follows the rules at some point he should make it . Trouble is at 18 getting on at 25 seems like a lifetime away ,it’s not .

I wish I was there to mentor the kid, maybe become an Emt and work on an ambulance, then just keep taking the fire tests, that’s what many here do .

good luck to him 

I'll definitely tell my Neighbors son when I get home !  Currently cruising in Alaska !