Climbing stand

rachunter

I didn’t want to keep hi-Jacking core’s thread so I started my own. I just have a few more questions. I watched a few YouTube videos but want to know if you guys take the seat off to lock it together and also the third hand straps. I couldn’t get mine together with the seat on,so I followed the third hand guys instructions seems like a lot of work to do at the bottom of the tree. I haven’t attached it to a tree yet. Hopefully this week I can find somewhere to give it a try.

ebea0d668ecf74c527dcb62c89ed4118.jpgbc932fb331586bc7f2d39a1a5d59e942.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My seat is permanently attached to the top portion of the climber. i carry my climber with the cable down since i was sick of hitting the spiky teeth with my heals on large or awkward steps. My straps are repurposed from an old golf bag and remains attached at the top to the too section. Then i attached each shoulder strap to straps looped to the front of the platform of the bottom portion. Thats the only disassembly/reassembly i do at the tree

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:40 PM, rachunter said:

I couldn’t get mine together with the seat on,so I followed the third hand guys instructions seems like a lot of work to do at the bottom of the tree

My climber is a Muddy and the arms on the upper section fold down making the stand virtually flat. I like the stand but the "factory seat really sucked so this year I bought a replacement summit seat. I have not tried it yet because the season is early but it folded up nice. I am with you and would not even consider it if I had to remove the seat every time. That would be a royal pain. I also added another strap so I can strap my pack right to the climber. It has added some weight but the stand is pretty light to begin with so I hope I can live with it.

Here is my set up which looks very similar to yours.

IMG_20191008_160433[1].jpg

IMG_20191008_160502[1].jpg

• Thanks 1

Here are a few photos of my rig...the long third hand straps looped onto the crossmember rear of the platform, and the upper ones loop around the crotch of the uprights on the upper portion...sorry for the crap photos, just what I found on my computer.

I have a Hazmore seat on this now, so it just slides back and I keep it with a tie.  The old seat, yes I'd take it off and place it onto the outside of the unit after it was nested together.

IMG_3621.JPG

IMG_3610.JPG

IMG_3630.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

The old seat you had on there was supposed to slide through the bottom section.and act as a back pad against the bottom section. That's how mine is. It took a while to get good at packing it up.

i'm going to give this a try he gave me both seats,but they weren't  on the stand.Do the teeth face up or the cables I switched them around after thinking about what crappyice said about banging my legs with them.It's defiantly more comfortable.

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

My climber is a Muddy and the arms on the upper section fold down making the stand virtually flat. I like the stand but the "factory seat really sucked so this year I bought a replacement summit seat. I have not tried it yet because the season is early but it folded up nice. I am with you and would not even consider it if I had to remove the seat every time. That would be a royal pain. I also added another strap so I can strap my pack right to the climber. It has added some weight but the stand is pretty light to begin with so I hope I can live with it.

Here is my set up which looks very similar to yours.

Does the summit seat have pockets on the inside? I can't for the life of me figure out what there for you can't put anything in them without crushing it.

39 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

Here are a few photos of my rig...the long third hand straps looped onto the crossmember rear of the platform, and the upper ones loop around the crotch of the uprights on the upper portion...sorry for the crap photos, just what I found on my computer.

I have a Hazmore seat on this now, so it just slides back and I keep it with a tie.  The old seat, yes I'd take it off and place it onto the outside of the unit after it was nested together.

IMG_3610.JPG

IMG_3630.JPG

It looks like the thirdhand straps are on the inside of the frame I wasn't to sure from the video.How's the cart ? I think core has the same one.

Rachunter, no matter what, the first few times you set yourself up to climb in the woods, you are going to think it is impossible to do quickly and quietly.  Hell, I have done it hundreds of times over the years, and I still feel like a bumbling fool the first time I set up every year. Take your time, practice in good light conditions, and don't give up. Climbers are great once you get used to them. Strap your harness to the tree as soon as you put your feet in. Yup, it is a pain to keep sliding it up, but it sure beats falling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

i'm going to give this a try he gave me both seats,but they weren't  on the stand.Do the teeth face up or the cables I switched them around after thinking about what crappyice said about banging my legs with them.It's defiantly more comfortable.

Does the summit seat have pockets on the inside? I can't for the life of me figure out what there for you can't put anything in them without crushing it.

It looks like the thirdhand straps are on the inside of the frame I wasn't to sure from the video.How's the cart ? I think core has the same one.

Teeth and cables down on my summit climber. I think it is the sd model. I put the top section on the ground first with the cables down. Then i try to sest the bottom section into that with the v shaped toothy part above the top part toothy part. Then i slide the seat rest through. I also use a strap to really tighten the two parts together so they dont bang on each other when i am walking. I attached a quality hiking back pack frame to the bottom section of my climber because the supplied straps are torture instruments. I used a quality frame because i had one i wasn't using.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coonhunter said:

Rachunter, no matter what, the first few times you set yourself up to climb in the woods, you are going to think it is impossible to do quickly and quietly.  Hell, I have done it hundreds of times over the years, and I still feel like a bumbling fool the first time I set up every year. Take your time, practice in good light conditions, and don't give up. Climbers are great once you get used to them. Strap your harness to the tree as soon as you put your feet in. Yup, it is a pain to keep sliding it up, but it sure beats falling. 

Get a Q-Safe tree strap, its designed for using with a climber, and is way easier to shimmy up the tree with than a traditional tree belt.

https://www.blindedhunting.com/qsafe

This thing rocks...I use it with my climber, and if I'm sitting in a ladder stand. 

I carry mine with the teeth and cables facing down....I cross the third hand straps into an X and reattach them to the spring loaded teeth and cinch it tight, then tuck the long ends through the stand and let hang, but not to as to drag the ground.  Agreed with the above comments about taking your time and practicing in the light.

The cart add on is ok.  I hauled one deer with it so far...the thing is loud so using it like a dolly for the walk in isnt a good idea.  I leave it in the car, if I need it, I'll go get it.  I found out the hard way that I should have taken off all the MOLLE gear when I used it as a cart...I was washing blood out of the shoulder and waist bands that night.

Edited by loworange88
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rachunter said:

The one I purchased does not have pockets:

It is similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Summit-Treestands-Universal-Seat-Mossy/dp/B00L69S6QY

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steve D said:

The one I purchased does not have pockets:

It is similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Summit-Treestands-Universal-Seat-Mossy/dp/B00L69S6QY

Summit makes a “Cadillac” seat for the climbers but it’s $120.  It has storage pockets built in.

https://www.summitstands.com/summit-surround-seat-mossy-oak-camo

3 minutes ago, loworange88 said:

Summit makes a “Cadillac” seat for the climbers

I saw that one but I didn't need something that fancy. Anything I need is in my pack and I know where it is. I hate looking through pockets and it seems the more I have the more stuff that's in them. I like to go as light as possible and only carry the necessities.

• Like 1

In my experience the less messing around the better. There's enough as it is with climbers you don't want to fiddle more. I definitely keep the seat 100% attached and feed it through the frame--in my other thread you can see what it looks like when I walk with the seat, with the main bottom of the seat against my lower back. Totally comfortable.

I have one of the third hand type straps (it came with my stand) and I use it to snug the stand pieces together when I carry.

This is my Summit exactly ready to be picked up and moved. 

Notice the green strap at the top. I wrap it entirely around the top section of the stand with just enough slack left so that when i combine the parts I can cinch the top and bottom together. When i get to the tree I unhook it but leave it completely wrapped around the top section of the stand for climbing until I get up there. Then I let the metal part dangle through the bottom stand and use my foot to loop it back around up to me to connect the top and bottom snugged up.

The seat straps stay connected all season and I just slide them down in this case so that they can allow the bottom to pass through.

summit.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok I put the original seat on big difference. I’m going to practice with it for the next few weeks. I want to use it for the muzzle loader season.
That after market set sucks for $120 it should be able to stay on the stand,damn i didn’t even pay that much for the stand and everything it came with.
Thanks again guys
5a49c99fe925d6f14630ef29ccaf4a3c.jpg4c6dddf1c2faaa16c65f05a6afc6b1a4.jpg56214c51e3bfae7cebfaad492b82ebbe.jpg

• Like 1