Baseball 2020 thread

BizCT

50 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

it seems like we are always on edge with injuries - esp over the last 3 years.  

it's crazy. it's like the training stuff is being paid off by the Astros!

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Haha 2

Baseball players are not meant to look like pro wrestlers or football players. I am of the mind that these players are over exerting their bodies in the post/off season. Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa looked like they did for a reason- it wasn’t natural.

Team doctors and trainers also have the ability to find every little thing wrong and make it an enormous issue to “prevent” their stud pony from turning up lame. How many players just played through nagging annoyances in the past for the love of the game or cause they needed the money? If it’s a contract year, watch how healthy they get.

I’d like Billy S to take the Yanks through a Twinkie workout for a few months and you can bank on a 95% healthy roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Baseball players are not meant to look like pro wrestlers or football players. I am of the mind that these players are over exerting their bodies in the post/off season. Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa looked like they did for a reason- it wasn’t natural.  

Team doctors and trainers also have the ability to find every little thing wrong and make it an enormous issue to “prevent” their stud pony from turning up lame. How many players just played through nagging annoyances in the past for the love of the game or cause they needed the money? If it’s a contract year, watch how healthy they get.

I’d like Billy S to take the Yanks through a Twinkie workout for a few months and you can bank on a 95% healthy roster.

John Daly once said You can’t pull fat and he’s right. I agree with you. Of course working is important, but why does Arod and Tiger break down? They were physical specimens (and juiced), but other guys last much longer. Fat boy Ortiz had no problem dominating late in his career. I’ve said it since day one about Judge. The numbers were against him based on his height and weight. It just doesn’t work in Baseball. Small guys can dominate. Look at Betts- career war higher than Stanton is nearly half the games played. Bregman, Altuve, Bellinger, babyface Devers, etc. Pedro dominated too.

I truly think too much offseason work is bad. Back in the day, Jordan golfed and relaxed all summer. He didn’t play summer leagues or work out to the max. Guys now work out way too much and play too much in the offseason. By the time a college athlete gets to the pros, the wear and tear is like a veteran instead of a rookie

• Like 2

John Daly once said You can’t pull fat and he’s right. I agree with you. Of course working is important, but why does Arod and Tiger break down? They were physical specimens (and juiced), but other guys last much longer. Fat boy Ortiz had no problem dominating late in his career. I’ve said it since day one about Judge. The numbers were against him based on his height and weight. It just doesn’t work in Baseball. Small guys can dominate. Look at Betts- career war higher than Stanton is nearly half the games played. Bregman, Altuve, Bellinger, babyface Devers, etc. Pedro dominated too.

I truly think too much offseason work is bad. Back in the day, Jordan golfed and relaxed all summer. He didn’t play summer leagues or work out to the max. Guys now work out way too much and play too much in the offseason. By the time a college athlete gets to the pros, the wear and tear is like a veteran instead of a rookie

So if WE know that(which equals TRUTH!), why does it continue? Is it because these guys simply infatuated with themselves - not so sure? Or is it that they need to work so hard to get to “the show” that they don’t trust shutting it down in fear of losing a step to someone who is working harder than them? Every Gatorade commercial says you need to work harder!
Do hockey players breakdown as much as golfers and baseball players (all torque based/swinging sports). with it being a 100X’s more physical than baseball and a 100K x’s more physical than golf you would think opposite(or is it just tough guys playing through it in hockey?).

So if WE know that(which equals TRUTH!), why does it continue? Is it because these guys simply infatuated with themselves - not so sure? Or is it that they need to work so hard to get to “the show” that they don’t trust shutting it down in fear of losing a step to someone who is working harder than them? Every Gatorade commercial says you need to work harder!
Do hockey players breakdown as much as golfers and baseball players (all torque based/swinging sports). with it being a 100X’s more physical than baseball and a 100K x’s more physical than golf you would think opposite(or is it just tough guys playing through it in hockey?).

you can play through injury in football and hockey. But the hardest thing in sports is hitting a round ball with a round bat squarely and produce a hit 30% of the time. So if you’re in a contract year or have a lot to prove, you are better off not playing than playing through injury and hitting .230

15 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

A baseball swing or pitching motion is very mechanical and you cant just adjust it to deal with an injury. Also baseball players are 10-ply soft both mentally and physically lol

NBA are the weakest by far. I'll admit hockey players are tough and so are most O-Linemen in NFL, but like you said baseball it very mechanical. Blocking or skating with a stick is nowhere close to reacting to a 99mph fastball followed by a 72mph curveball......especially when it's thrown by NASTY NATE EOVALDI. 

#NeverForget that Rick Porcello has more Cy Young's than the entire Yankees Roster Combined.

#Neverforget that Dustin Pedroia has more MVP's than the entire Yankees Roster combined, plus Derek Jeter

SOX VS. YANKS TODAY, 1PM. STRAP IN BOYS!!!

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

4 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

NBA are the weakest by far. I'll admit hockey players are tough and so are most O-Linemen in NFL, but like you said baseball it very mechanical. Blocking or skating with a stick is nowhere close to reacting to a 99mph fastball followed by a 72mph curveball......especially when it's thrown by NASTY NATE EOVALDI. 

#NeverForget that Rick Porcello has more Cy Young's than the entire Yankees Roster Combined.

#Neverforget that Dustin Pedroia has more MVP's than the entire Yankees Roster combined, plus Derek Jeter

SOX VS. YANKS TODAY, 1PM. STRAP IN BOYS!!!

Please dont ever compare the skill of a baseball player to that of a hockey player. Or how awful a teammate Pedey is including present day where he refuses to let his team move on from his fragile ass

Fun fact , years ago the FD hired a guy who was a baseball player , 3 years in the Majors, and finished up on the Roch .Red Wings . He was a catcher , so the guys on the dept hockey team figured he might make an ok goalie .

One day a fight broke out and the goalie , joined in ( third man in ) .

My friend told him , “ Ray this is hockey where we fight like men ,one on one , not pu$$y baseball where everyone piles on . “ 

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/local/communities/irondequoit/2014/08/28/city-firefighter-royal/14665113/

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Please dont ever compare the skill of a baseball player to that of a hockey player. Or how awful a teammate Pedey is including present day where he refuses to let his team move on from his fragile ass

Pedroia will have his number retired. He was the heart and soul of multiple WS teams. You think NHL takes skill that is remotely close to MLB? I assume you're joking. I always use the reverse technique to compare things. I think a ton of MLB players would have great slapshots and can figure out how to skate quickly. I don't think many NHL guys could step into a batters box and be successful or even track a flyball or field a ground ball.

a bad/selfish teammate was Jeter costing the Yankees a playoff spot by forcing them to play him everyday. Pedroia is under contract and rather than sit home and get paid he is trying to help the team.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Pedroia will have his number retired. He was the heart and soul of multiple WS teams. You think NHL takes skill that is remotely close to MLB? I assume you're joking. I always use the reverse technique to compare things. I think a ton of MLB players would have great slapshots and can figure out how to skate quickly. I don't think many NHL guys could step into a batters box and be successful or even track a flyball or field a ground ball.

a bad/selfish teammate was Jeter costing the Yankees a playoff spot by forcing them to play him everyday. Pedroia is under contract and rather than sit home and get paid he is trying to help the team.

youre out of your mind. If we had 100 at bats we would get a couple hits (under 5) and could be horrible in the OF but make a few plays. Wed last under 10 seconds in an NHL shift. An NHL player would get more hits than you think they have absurd hand eye coordination. This is not even worth a discussion

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

A baseball swing or pitching motion is very mechanical and you cant just adjust it to deal with an injury. Also baseball players are 10-ply soft both mentally and physically lol

Exception.  Madison baumgarten .  Does rodeo in the off season. Now that's awesome. 

469712952_594_screen.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

youre out of your mind. If we had 100 at bats we would get a couple hits (under 5) and could be horrible in the OF but make a few plays. Wed last under 10 seconds in an NHL shift. An NHL player would get more hits than you think they have absurd hand eye coordination. This is not even worth a discussion

I disagree. An all-star MLB player could do well in NHL, NFL, and NBA. Most NHL players can't do anything off of skates. Some of them couldn't throw a baseball 90 feet.

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I disagree. An all-star MLB player could do well in NHL, NFL, and NBA. Most NHL players can't do anything off of skates. Some of them couldn't throw a baseball 90 feet.

An all star baseball player would not last ten seconds of an NHL shift. NHL players are exceptional golfers

39 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

An all star baseball player would not last ten seconds of an NHL shift. NHL players are exceptional golfers

I still believe Mike Trout would do better in NHL than Ovechkin would in MLB.

Sweet Baby Jesus, he throws like a 4 year old girl