On a scale of 1 to 10 how do you rate a 44 mag in a rifle as a good brush gun ?

Hunter007

30 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I am glad to see that it kicks more than a 30/30, which I do hope to use for deer this year (if I can hold on to my buck tag until Thanksgiving).   Serious question for you: If you were walking to a spot to do some close-range "bush-hunting", and a big-body, heavy-rack buck appeared broadside across an open meadow, 175 yards away, and you had a good tree to lean on :    Would you prefer taking that shot with a Marlin 30/30 BL or a similar-sized lever-action chambered in .44 mag ?

Also, do you honestly feel that a 170 gr 30/30 would do a lesser job in the thick stuff, than a 44 mag ?   

What if we were talking about a .35 rem instead of a 30/30 (would that one have an edge over the 44 mag in either case ?).   

Finally, if you were way back in the bush and ran out of ammo, do you think it would be easier to find 30/30 or .44 mag at the local nearest store ?    

I understand  where you are coming from  but , Think about this What about the meat loss  that happens when you have a close shot , shoot a deer with a big deer caliber at 30 yards and it can make a mess depending on where you hit . 

Edited by Hunter007

I am glad to see that it kicks more than a 30/30, which I do hope to use for deer this year (if I can hold on to my buck tag until Thanksgiving).   Serious question for you: If you were walking to a spot to do some close-range "bush-hunting", and a big-body, heavy-rack buck appeared broadside across an open meadow, 175 yards away, and you had a good tree to lean on :    Would you prefer taking that shot with a Marlin 30/30 BL or a similar-sized lever-action chambered in .44 mag ?
Also, do you honestly feel that a 170 gr 30/30 would do a lesser job in the thick stuff, than a 44 mag ?   
What if we were talking about a .35 rem instead of a 30/30 (would that one have an edge over the 44 mag in either case ?).   
Finally, if you were way back in the bush and ran out of ammo, do you think it would be easier to find 30/30 or .44 mag at the local nearest store ?    

I have both and don’t think there is any noticeable difference in recoil. The 30-30 is perceivably louder from a 16” barrel than a 44mag when shooting side by side.

Neither, I like brush guns with open peep sights and I’m not taking a 175yd shot with a peep sight. I’ll hunt my way to the buck and try to cut the distance to inside 100yds and take the shot with any gun I would hunt deer with. A brush gun is a trade off, you give up the range for the other attributes.

A deer shot under 125yds “my maximum range with a peep sight” whether it’s hit with a 30-30, 35rem, 44mag is dying and will never know the difference of what hit him.

As far as ammo I don’t know of a place that sells ammo that doesn’t cary 44mag. I’ve also never took this into consideration because I reload and
My 2 main deer rifles this year are a 35rem and a 35whelen both can be hard to find ammo for if you shoot store bought ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

After about 40 years of reloading there are a couple things I've learned. One muzzle energy means little if you can't put the bullet where it belongs and once a bullet passes all the way though a animal any remaining energy is useless. Two there's a lot to be said for momentum and DEAD IS DEAD you can't make it deader. So a 44mag would be good enough for the average range a deer is killed in NY.

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Neither, I like brush guns with open peep sights and I’m not taking a 175yd shot with a peep sight. I’ll hunt my way to the buck and try to cut the distance to inside 100yds and take the shot with any gun I would hunt deer with. A brush gun is a trade off, you give up the range for the other attributes.

That is a great answer and it is exactly what I would in that situation with my Marlin 336 BL 30/30 with fiber-optic open sights.  I am very comfortable with it out to 100 yards (on one gallon water jugs anyhow), but that is about it.     If I happened to have my father in law's standard Marlin 336 30/30 with it's 3-9X scope, I am cranking that up to 9x and taking the 175 yard shot (rested on the tree) all day long.   I am not sure how a .44 mag would perform at that distance, but I suspect not very well compared to the 30/30 (my current ammo supply is 150 grain Federal Fusion 30/30).

I am hoping that he will let me hunt with that gun this year if the weather conditions are good.  I took my time dialing it in on the range last Thanksgiving weekend, since I had no buck tag to work with then and it was too cold and snowy for the bears to come out.   He is pretty particular about his stuff and I would not dare ask to take it out if there was any chance of rain or snow.  

I will use three different guns up there this year depending on the weather:   Nice dry, clear conditions - his 30/30, Foul weather with wind-driven rain, sleet or snow - my 30/30 (I am hoping for that), In between conditions - My big heavy Ruger bolt-action 3-9X scoped 30/06.   The Ruger is not easy to tote around up there, but has always got the job done when the bucks showed up, dropping them dead in their tracks at impact.

Good luck up there this season.     

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 8:18 AM, steve863 said:

There is no way I'd recommend it to anyone for ANY deer hunting situation in comparison to the scores of much better calibers available.  Plus, go to a Walmart or somewhere else if you were in a pinch for some extra hunting ammo for it.  Good luck.

After reading all this and other articles I have decided just to get what I know the most about    30-06  and get it in the blr takedown .

Not as light or compact but better then what I got now still

I suppose I could get it cut to 16 later on by a gunsmith  if I want anyway .

Now to find one  physically in a store  just to see what I'm buying that  is a different story :(  

Went to 3 different gun shops and nobody has one in stock they can order it of course.

But I like to check it out to make sure its what I want  first . 

16 minutes ago, Chef said:

What do you mean they don’t chamber what you want in that model? 30/30 is the chamber no trhr model

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long-guns/cartridge-rifles/1892-alaskan.html

Wanted that  make and model 

Only comes in 357 and 44 

Then they make another version in 45-70 that's a take down that's it .

I'm just going with the Browning blr takedown in 30-06 plus I like the fact that it has a magazine .

Not as light and short as I would  of liked  but it is what it is .

Edited by Hunter007

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long-guns/cartridge-rifles/1892-alaskan.html
Wanted that  make and model 
Only comes in 357 and 44 
Then they make another version in 45-70 that's a take down that's it .
I'm just going with the Browning blr takedown in 30-06 plus I like the fact that it has a magazine .
Not as light and short as I would  of liked  but it is what it is .

First off how would one know you wanted that model you never stated that anywhere... 2nd you went from a lever carbine to a 30-06 lol

16 minutes ago, Chef said:

First off how would one know you wanted that model you never stated that anywhere... 2nd you went from a lever carbine to a 30-06 lol

Was not important just wanted to know 44 mags killing power at moderate ranges for deer  in a rifle  . 

Didn't think it was important to mention I wanted a takedown.

all the negative / mixed comments  talked me out of it basically , the 44 mag . 

Edited by Hunter007

Was not important just wanted to know 44 mags killing power at moderate ranges for deer  in a rifle  . 
Didn't think it was important to mention I wanted a takedown.
all the negative / mixed comments  talked me out of it basically , the 44 mag . 

I couldn’t care any less about what you hunt with or buy but I find it hilarious that every “negative/ mixed” comment came from people whom have never killed a deer with a 44mag and every single person that commented that has killed a deer with one all gave very positive reviews.

• Like 3

I couldn’t care any less about what you hunt with or buy but I find it hilarious that every “negative/ mixed” comment came from people whom have never killed a deer with a 44mag and every single person that commented that has killed a deer with one all gave very positive reviews.

I don’t disagree that it is a fine caliber for deer but he asked how it rated I think you would have to agree there are better calibers chambered in a lever action carbine that would make a better”brush gun”

Idk , never killed a deer with a.44 mag rifle . Killed a few with my Dan Wesson .44 mag handgun, never had to “ track “ one of them . Id imagine in a rifle it would be even easier .

Put the bullet where it needs to be , game over .

• Like 2

I don’t disagree that it is a fine caliber for deer but he asked how it rated I think you would have to agree there are better calibers chambered in a lever action carbine that would make a better”brush gun”

Honestly, for 100yd brush gun I can’t think of a better cartridge. Probably why I have 7 or 8 44mag rifles. If a fella was going to buy 1 gun to hunt deer with I wouldn’t recommend a 44mag but for what he’s describing I can’t think of anything better. Inside of 100yds a 44mag will do everything all the other cartridges will do and maybe even better. They also chamber shorter lighter guns in 44 than the other brush cartridges and that’s a big plus.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I don't , know now,   I saw blr not the takedown version in cables a few weeks ago was in 308 picked it up seemed pretty light well balanced to me .

Made me second guess myself  ask my father about it he said just find one in 30-06 .Like the other hunting guns you have , he said  it's more   versatile and be done with it . I think I'm just going to go with the tradition deer caliber . Plus I like the fact that it has a magazine .

Seems like a better deal also more  powerful gun for  around same price point .

Then I guess  I could do what you said and just get gunsmith to cut it down shorter to 16 anyway if I want.  

It's all good . 

I don't , know now,   I saw blr not the takedown version in cables a few weeks ago was in 308 picked it up seemed pretty light well balanced to me .
Made me second guess myself  ask my father about it he said just find one in 30-06 .Like the other hunting guns you have , he said  it's more   versatile and be done with it . I think I'm just going to go with the tradition deer caliber . Plus I like the fact that it has a magazine .
Seems like a better deal also more  powerful gun for  around same price point .
Then I guess  I could do what you said and just get gunsmith to cut it down shorter to 16 anyway if I want.  
It's all good . 

Trust me, from someone who loves short barrels there’s a reason why no one makes an 06 with a 16” barrel. If you think you might want a 16” barrel get a 308.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Trust me, from someone who loves short barrels there’s a reason why no one makes an 06 with a 16” barrel. If you think you might want a 16” barrel get a 308.

Let me guess t kicks like mule  or  does not stabilize the bullet right? When you do that on 30-06 or both?

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The shorter the barrel the stiffer it becomes, everything else equal the stiffer the barrel the more accurate and consistent it is. You’ll lose velocity and that will negatively impact the trajectory.

O btw good luck on your mass hunt .

Hunter007, I believe the .30-06 lever BLR has a longer action, longer receiver and weighs more than the same rifle chambered in a short action like .308.  Since you want a brush gun to be light and fast, but are looking for long range power, the .308 version would be a better choice IMHO.  No real loss of power compared to a .30-06, but lighter and shorter when the two rifles are stood side by side.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rattler said:

Hunter007, I believe the .30-06 lever BLR has a longer action, longer receiver and weighs more than the same rifle chambered in a short action like .308.  Since you want a brush gun to be light and fast, but are looking for long range power, the .308 version would be a better choice IMHO.  No real loss of power compared to a .30-06, but lighter and shorter when the two rifles are stood side by side.

Thanks didn't even see that .

Now that you mention that went back and looked .

And saw they have it in 

358 win short action 

Listed in same weight and shorter barrel like the 308 . looking at the numbers 358 looks awesome.  

Maybe if  I  switch calibers  I should go with that  I think  don't know yet , Got to go look at those again when I get a chance in the gun shop . One notable down side with the 358 win , Maybe availability of ammo in stores .  But  I guess I can live with that .

I'm surprised that caliber is not more popular reading  about it .

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 1