Charcuterie

Chef

[mention=327]crappyice[/mention] [mention=762]Chef[/mention]
Check out
https://umaidry.com/collections/salumi
www.sausagemaker.com sells the Umai bags, bacteria, et al.
Instructions / how it works:
https://umaidry.com/pages/learn-how-to-make-dry-cured-salumi

Thanks goos....I was just clicking around there from your other post that recommends that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks goos....I was just clicking around there from your other post that recommends that

So in the middle of my AR build I will be starting some summer sausage tonight!

Pics to follow!

• Like 1

Yeah man!!! Thanks to my scratch and sniff app I am enjoying following along!
What ya got for weights of each meat product? Were they all ground with the same size plate? Any liquid added?
What casing size/material?

Damn I have so many more questions!!!

Yeah man!!! Thanks to my scratch and sniff app I am enjoying following along!
What ya got for weights of each meat product? Were they all ground with the same size plate? Any liquid added?
What casing size/material?

Damn I have so many more questions!!!

3lbs venison
1.5 lbs pork butt
8oz diced pork fat.

The venison and butt were ground through the coarse die, the fat was diced, the only liquid is in a slurry with powdered butter milk, it was all mixed together and will sit in the fridge till Wednesday night. I will then grind the entire mixture though the fine die and stuff into casings.

Thursday after work it will get smoked and then hung for 2 hours to bloom!

Sooooo my fridge crapped out last night, I am traveling for work and the wife woke up to the fridge not working. I had her temp the sausage mixture and it was at 47 degrees. I figure if it was still that cold it probably is still ok she moved it to the basement fridge. I figure with all the salt and pink salt I am ok. I will still cautiously move forward with this project

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Started it at 185, but I gradually upped it to 195. After waking up once an hour the whole night to check on it, I figured it needed to make it hotter than 185. 195 seems to be the ticket 

howd it come out?  Ive made it before and it was pretty good.  But i think i cooked it at 225. 

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

Sooooo my fridge crapped out last night, I am traveling for work and the wife woke up to the fridge not working. I had her temp the sausage mixture and it was at 47 degrees. I figure if it was still that cold it probably is still ok she moved it to the basement fridge. I figure with all the salt and pink salt I am ok. I will still cautiously move forward with this project

do you use tenderquick?

Hope you don't get botulism

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hope you don't get botulism

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nah I’ll be fine if it was at 47 it couldn’t have been over 41 for that long, plus it is nitrates in it so I should be fine

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

A little dry but not bad at all. I made another batch and kept it at 185 and i think its going to come out better. Theres no fat coming out of the casings 

Mine came out with the consistency of like canned corn beef. Kinda crumbly.  Was hoping for more of a chewy consistency. Like a bologna or summer sausage. Think I needed to add a bit more pork.  Also saw a recipe to boil it, then smoke it and was thinking of trying that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Mine came out with the consistency of like canned corn beef. Kinda crumbly.  Was hoping for more of a chewy consistency. Like a bologna or summer sausage. Think I needed to add a bit more pork.  Also saw a recipe to boil it, then smoke it and was thinking of trying that. 

Yeah I think I need to add more fat too next year. I got lazy, but next year Ill take the right steps