East Otto

taly35

Hunting is alot to do with patience. I have a boy thats cant sit still for 5 seconds. Drives me crazy. If your fidgiting and moving your chances have dropped drastically. Patience grasshopper patience. I know a guy who takes a book in the stand with him so he occupies his mind instead of fidgeting. He might not be on full alert for deer but atleast hes not alerting the deer he is there. He has taken deer since but he still is the first one back to camp. Must be the book he was reading wasnt all that interesting lol.

Try using a blind, or get out before the season and spot and stalk deer in fields stiglemeyer park in cheektowoga (losson rd)is another possiblility...see how close you can get ..move fast your busted,eventually in a few attempts you will learn to move slow..stand hunting mignt not be for you! but using this exercise you will be able to learn how to slow your movements and possibly still hunt. State land is large and you should be able to do this fairly easily. the key is put in time learn to spot and stalk. get familiar with spoting a part of a deer vs the whole animal. A few trips to the park (lots of deer and walking trails) always gets me to slow down and learn to pick out small patchers of deer.its also a great place to tune your grunt call by watching the deer's reaction to the tone and inflection you can do on it.

G-Man give U some great advise, as always. The 2 things that deer detect the most is movement , and scent. An old timer told me many years ago to watch my wind. He was right. No matter how scent free U think you are, U still have scent. An effective way to see more deer is have the wind blowing in your direction," from the deer." Deer always have their noses in the air when the smell isn't right to them. Take some non-scented talc powder with U, and check the wind. If it's blowing toward the deer , move to a new spot. In the woods, the wind can do all kinds of strange things. Test with the powder will show U alot. I use the down of chicken feathers, only because their handy for me. It's all a learning experience. Make it a fun one for yourself, be safe and enjoy.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Thanks G-Man, I think my problem is I move too much, can't stay still.....

You HAVE to stay put. Bow or gun. If your out mooching around your just going to be sending the deer down to the guy sitting on his butt. Rarely does a guy get a shot at a deer with the bow while stalking. Climb a tree and chill.

Take a book, listen to your IPod, snack on some sardines or spank the monkey. When you learn to stick it out, you'll be dangerous!

Thank you all for the great advice, I think the book idea will work for me also check the wind make sense, hopefully I will learn how to stay still while hunting.

When I was just a kid and out small game hunting back in the mid 70's, I would take a Pennsylvania Game News with me and read it cover to cover while waiting for the wily bushy tail to show up. I never killed many but I sure had a good time. The Game News fit in the game bag of my Duxbak coat just fine but it DID get a bit bloody on occasion.

These days, I'd need my reading glasses and, well, you get the idea......

I have shot plenty of deer (mostly with the gun) due the fortunes of sitting in my tree while others needed to walk around. Great advice given above the only thing I would add is a little woodsmanship goes a long way. A little pre and post season walking around and you will find bedding areas, feeding areas, and the game trails that lead to and from them. I would also suggest a climber. I love my climber but getting up and down and toting that thing around all day gets old quick.

• 4 weeks later...