Wow....NYOut door news came today

growalot

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I went to the site entitled "Who's Packing? NY" and noticed that they have nothing stating who they are and why they created the website. Unless I missed it, the authors of the site seem to have gone out of their way to be anonymous. I sure would like to know just who is behind publishing that info on the internet.

Yes, I see that our own state government saw fit to make that info public record ........ and that is an unneccessary invasion of privacy in its own right, but who are these people that thought it should be made available on the internet and what is their agenda?

Doc

I think the mayor of our great metropolis is behind this!

Phone books do not indicate possessions, hobbies, or pastimes.

Doc

Youre worried about who knows you enjoy shooting? Just because you have a permit doesnt necessarily mean you own a handgun anyway. The list does not contain what handguns are on your permit, or even what type of permit you have. Its nothing more than a list of people that have permits, nothing more. Oh, and the internet isnt the only place this info is available. All I need is your address out of the phone book and I can find out what your house is worth, how much you pay in taxes each year, how much you paid for your house, then from there if I really want to do some digging I can find out how much you owe on your house, who the lein holders are, etc etc. If I want to pay for info, I can get your police records and lots of other data. I think the pistol permit list is fairly unobtrusive and nothing to be alarmed about.

I think there is no purpose served in publicly identifying handgun owners. Whether I own a handgun or not is simply nobody's business. Further, what exactly is the purpose of making such information public? What useful need does that perform? What is the government trying to say to the public about handgun ownership?

And finally, just because there are other ways for people to invade our privacy doesn't in any way justify adding to that long list, does it? I hope we haven't become so desensitized to having our lives involuntarily made so transparent that we are now welcoming new intrusions.

Personally I am against this government sponsored public listing. My personal habits and activities should not be a subject of the freedom of information act unless there is some need for the public to be aware of those habits and activities. They have over-stepped their bounds (once again). The implication and apparent government opinion is that because we have handguns, the public has a need to be warned of the hazards that our ownership of those handguns may pose. That's an editorial stance that I don't particularly appreciate coming from the government.

Doc

Ok Doc, first off, if you look deeper into it, the government did not post this, its not on a government website, its a private site. The conspiracy theory angle doesnt hold up.  :) Most likely it was posted by someone that requested the info by way of the freedom of information act.

Ok Doc, first off, if you look deeper into it, the government did not post this, its not on a government website, its a private site. The conspiracy theory angle doesnt hold up.  ;) Most likely it was posted by someone that requested the info by way of the freedom of information act.

Yes, I believe that I said all that in the last paragraph of my reply. And I also stated that they had overstepped their bounds when they created the list knowing full well that it could become a subject of the Freedom of Information Act (which is also a responsibility of the government). Such lists on the personal habits and possessions of citizens should not be created in the first place. Creating such a listing with the knowledge that it could be accessed and republished in a more public media is exactly the same as publicly publishing it themselves.

Also the implications of such a list is exactly as I stated.

Doc

Ok Doc, first off, if you look deeper into it, the government did not post this, its not on a government website, its a private site. The conspiracy theory angle doesnt hold up.  ;) Most likely it was posted by someone that requested the info by way of the freedom of information act.

Yes, I believe that I said all that in the last paragraph of my reply.

You did? Your whole reply sounded like you were blaming the govt for releasing the list on the internet or sponsoring the website or something similar. Maybe I was misunderstanding what you said.

So you dont think the Govt should have a list of people with pistol permits? How would they keep things straight if they didnt? What would be the point of having the permits at all?

Exactly! It's not a system that you will find me defending.

Ok Doc, first off, if you look deeper into it, the government did not post this, its not on a government website, its a private site. The conspiracy theory angle doesnt hold up.  :) Most likely it was posted by someone that requested the info by way of the freedom of information act.

Yes, I believe that I said all that in the last paragraph of my reply.

You did? Your whole reply sounded like you were blaming the govt for releasing the list on the internet or sponsoring the website or something similar. Maybe I was misunderstanding what you said.

If it sounded like I was saying that the government created the site, I'm sorry for not being clearer. As a matter of fact the 6th reply on this thread was a comment where I stated that it appeared that the authors of the site had gone to extreme measures to ensure that no one knew who they were.

The government complicity is in coming up with the list in the first place, especially if they knew it was eligible to public publishing. That really amounts to the same thing as making the list public themselves because they would have had to have known that somebody would eventually make it public. Also, it is not clear as to how it is determined what information is accessible under the Freedom of Information Laws. There has to be some discretion as to what is accessible under the Freedom of Information Act and what is not. I know that there is a whole batch of personal, individual census information that is not available to the public via Freedom of Information Act, so there has to be a mechanism somewhere that prohibits private citizen info from being made public. Were proper safeguards followed when it came to this list? I don't know. The fact is, if the government wasn't so determined to insert themselves in the middle of our lives, and create their lists, there wouldn't be any reason to even ask that question.

If you don't get it here's a couple of notes....NY pistol permit holders names and addresses were posted on the internet.

Coyotes have attacked 3 and 6yr olds playing out doors during the day...Ya so I guess they don't need your clothes to smell like goat any more >:( ...

Sale of Hemlock and Canadice to DEC is now final...

By the way, a part of this original post that got lost along the way is about the sale of Hemlock and Canadice Lakes to the state. For those not familiar with this area, this is a pretty big deal over here in the western finger lakes because both of these lakes are the only ones of the finger lakes that are not commercialized and ringed with cottages and basically sealed of from the public. They were formerly owned by the city of Rochester and have been (and still will be) used as a water reservoir. It's been a long fight, but these two lakes have been saved from development and will continue to provide excellent hunting and fishing opportunities.

That was a pretty amazing and noteable achievement for a time when the state is pretty much in a financially busted situation.

Doc

So you dont think the Govt should have a list of people with pistol permits? How would they keep things straight if they didnt? What would be the point of having the permits at all?

Exactly! It's not a system that you will find me defending.

Gottcha. I actually have no problem with pistol permits, I just think they should be nationally recognized just like a drivers license, but thats a whole different thread lol.

If you don't get it here's a couple of notes....NY pistol permit holders names and addresses were posted on the internet.

Coyotes have attacked 3 and 6yr olds playing out doors during the day...Ya so I guess they don't need your clothes to smell like goat any more >:( ...

Sale of Hemlock and Canadice to DEC is now final...

By the way, a part of this original post that got lost along the way is about the sale of Hemlock and Canadice Lakes to the state. For those not familiar with this area, this is a pretty big deal over here in the western finger lakes because both of these lakes are the only ones of the finger lakes that are not commercialized and ringed with cottages and basically sealed of from the public. They were formerly owned by the city of Rochester and have been (and still will be) used as a water reservoir. It's been a long fight, but these two lakes have been saved from development and will continue to provide excellent hunting and fishing opportunities.

That was a pretty amazing and noteable achievement for a time when the state is pretty much in a financially busted situation.

Doc

I might actually try hunting down there this year. Its great country.

I spend a lot of time over there walking and fishing. It's like a whole different world from any of the other finger lakes. Fishing can be great, but I understand from some of the locals that the hunting isn't all that great. I can't say that I have ever seen a whole lot of sign over there when hiking around. But, I have no first hand experience with actually hunting there. A large portion along Canadice Lake's east side is solid mature pine plantation and is a very sterile kind of woods ....... not real good for hunting. The rest of it is good mixed hardwoods surrounded by old fields and farmland.

As far as fishing is concerned, I would give it mixed reviews. On any given day it can be as good as anywhere, but there are a lot of days when it really is good only for sight-seeing.

Keep an eye out for poison ivy. They seem to have more than their share over there. Also, there's another poisonous plant that I have seen over there that I can't remember the name of. But it is supposedly bad stuff that can have some rather nasty long-lasting effects. It's tall and has a super-huge queen anne's lace kind of blossom. Don't mess with it!!! I saw it on the Lake side of Lake Road along Canadice Lake.

Yup .... that's it. Hogweed. Real bad stuff. By the way, when I was a kid, I used to walk through poison ivy with shorts and never got it. I figured I was immune. A few years back while clearing brush, I got covered with it. Big surprise.

If we were not "forced" to have a permit, the government could then concentrate on all their inside criminal activity.

If we were not "forced" to have a permit, the government could then concentrate on all their inside criminal activity.

So you dont agree with permits either?

Look, I have a situation going with someone I know trying to get their permit as we speak. He got denied, and rightfully so. Dont get me wrong, I like the guy and he means well, but I dont feel comfortable with him having a concealed carry permit. He is on medication and sees a shrink. He is one of those guys that is obsessive about things and depending on if his meds are right, has a tendency of flying off the handle about things that just plain dont warrant it. I am glad he didnt get his permit, and hope like hell that the decision sticks when he goes in to appeal it.

That right there is exactly why we have the permits, and in this case, the system worked.

Look, I have a situation going with someone I know trying to get their permit as we speak. He got denied, and rightfully so. Dont get me wrong, I like the guy and he means well, but I dont feel comfortable with him having a concealed carry permit. He is on medication and sees a shrink. He is one of those guys that is obsessive about things and depending on if his meds are right, has a tendency of flying off the handle about things that just plain dont warrant it. I am glad he didnt get his permit, and hope like hell that the decision sticks when he goes in to appeal it.

That right there is exactly why we have the permits, and in this case, the system worked.

yeah he can go to walmart fill put a form and get a shotgun and kill just as many or break into your house and steal your handguns to kill people. Then you will be in as much trouble as he.  I am glad mine is listed on there.  I just wish they would have added and he is not afraid to use them so beware.  I am not ashamed I have a concealed carry permit or who knows it. Who are you to say who gets a permit and who shouldnt?

yeah he can go to walmart fill put a form and get a shotgun and kill just as many or break into your house and steal your handguns to kill people. Then you will be in as much trouble as he.  I am glad mine is listed on there.  I just wish they would have added and he is not afraid to use them so beware.  I am not ashamed I have a concealed carry permit or who knows it. Who are you to say who gets a permit and who shouldnt?

I know he can go buy a shotgun or rifle, Ive told him that he would have no problem getting one and even that if he really wanted to have home protection, a nice pump shotgun is the way to go. My guns are locked up my friend, in a nice safe thats bolted to the floor and wall. Good luck stealing them because they are in there unless they are on me. As far as who I am, I never said the guy couldnt have one, I feel that he shouldnt have one, and unless you know him and how he is, you wouldnt know enough to comment on it. I have no choice but to deal with the guy, and I have every right to say I dont feel comfortable with him carrying a concealed handgun.

well since I work as a mental health nurse, I kinda do know about people who are on meds and see psychaitrists. it does nt mean every one of them is nuts and should not have a gun or a permit. If he has no tbeen hospitalized for his illness or ever been  in legal trouble he has as much right to a permit as you do. Mental illness is a disease.  People live very normal lives an dkeep it under control.  That is like saying anyone with diabetes who can go low and be disoriented or anyone with sezure disorders shoud not be allowed to have a permit.  I love the holier than thou attitude. 

well since I work as a mental health nurse, I kinda do know about people who are on meds and see psychaitrists. it does nt mean every one of them is nuts and should not have a gun or a permit. If he has no tbeen hospitalized for his illness or ever been  in legal trouble he has as much right to a permit as you do. Mental illness is a disease.  People live very normal lives an dkeep it under control.  That is like saying anyone with diabetes who can go low and be disoriented or anyone with sezure disorders shoud not be allowed to have a permit.  I love the holier than thou attitude.

Again, you dont know the guy, commenting on whether someone you dont know should or shouldnt have a handgun permit is pretty silly. Dont you think? You seriously think that if someone is unstable when they miss their meds, and has big mood swings at those times, they should carry a handgun? Really?

Theres no holier than thou attitude here.

handgun verses shotgun you tell me the difference then? you told him to go get a shotgun

The handgun is easily concealable, A shotgun, in legal configuration, not so much. This guy is citing home protection as a reason to get a carry permit. Thats a bunch of bull. If my house was broken into and I needed to defend myself, the first thing Im grabbing is my shotgun, not my handgun.