crows

Dom

When I was first hunting on my own,I went for Hell birds. I wounded one that fell to the ground yelling. The rest of them came after me,chasing me from the woods,dive bombers from Hell.....don't laugh! I have not been out for them since. I hear the breast is good though. You can have it.

Saw one today along the road eating some sloppy road-killed something. It was something that was beginning to liquify from rot. I doubt that I could really work up an appetite for one of them critters ...... lol. Kind of like eating buzzard! No logical reason, just simply a gut reaction to their diet. I feel exactly the same way about possums, racoons and other carrion eating critters........YUCK!

Ive seen pictures and videos of deer eating from gut piles. Pigs will eat anything, so will chickens, and Im sure you eat all of those. ;)

Maybe that explains that occasional "gamey" taste in venison

Chickens and pigs that you buy at the grocery store have never had any opportunity to eat anything but grain and grain products. We used to raise chickens, and they may have found an occasional worm out in the henhouse yard but 99.99% of their diet was mash, some oyster shells and water. No free range chickens at our place ..... lol.

The pigs that we raised when I was a kid were fed commercial feed. One thing I am very sure of is that neither our pigs or our chickens went from one rotting roadkill to the next for their daily meals. :wacko:

However, I am sure that a crow or even a buzzard probably has processed all that filth to the point where there is no trace of it in their meat. So like I said, it is a mental barrier and not something that is based on chemistry. That's the nice thing about being a human in this country...... we are allowed to be a little picky about what we eat regardless of what it is or why. :pickeat:

I have seen a lot of places with their chickens running wild ..... usually right along the road. I often wondered how they survive the foxes, coyotes, mink and other chicken loving critters. The other thing I never figured out is just how you ever get any eggs fromany of these "free-range" chickens that have the run of the place. Seems like every morning would have to start off with an Easter egg hunt. And then if you found an egg, how would you know how old it was. I guess that's why we always kept ours in a chicken coop with a small, totally enclosed, chicken-wire fence.

my husband freaks that chickens are near rd, guess if they get killed they will never do that again he will say, think about it how often have you ever seen a dead chicken in rd from getting hit? the days i have let mine out early they have gone back to the boxes to lay. i am sure over the yrs they have layed in yard or neighbors but never came across any.

Everybody loves chicken. I had racoons, mink and weasels all figure out ways past the chicken wire. Some of them were pretty darn clever about it too. I had a mink find an empty knot hole in the wall of the coop way down at floor lever. I went out one morning and saw one of the chickens snugged up against the wall. When I pulled her away, I saw that she had no head. The tracks in the snow outside told the story. He apparently went through the knot hole, killed the chicken and then spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out how to get a chicken to fit through a knot hole.When he finally figured out it wasn't going to happen, he ate off the head and left the rest behind.

last yr i had 6 in a unsecured coop, think a weasel got them. fixed that up and will only use it for young ones before adding with others. i would like to think my big coop is secure. we have wire mesh on bottom so nothing can chew through that. the poop door has to clicks to it and the door they use has weight on it so a raccoon can't lift it, and the door i use has two latches. i think if something gets to them is because i didn't close them up.

I wouldn't eat crow especially after that virus that was really big a couple years back. Can't remember if it was west nile or bird flu that was killing off all the crows but I wouldn't feel comfortable eating anything like that.

• 1 month later...

post-1629-0-92492800-1320462343_thumb.jpthats correct.

and if you tested your deer for heavy metals and cadmium in particular you'd freak out and sell your gear and buy butterballs.

breasted out they taste like duck or any other dark meat, like pheasant, and any recipe you would do for breasted skinless pheasant, goose, duck or even liver works well.

Add bacon, everything is better with bacon.

young crows, Massachusetts for them, is EXCELLENT eating and I grill them boneless breast wrapped around a water chestnut and pinned with two strips of thick smoked bacon. grill over indirect heat, as always, until 160F , anything too over done for you give to the dog but I've seen too much in too many places to ever eat less than well done meat.

I speed loaded the fowler for a double that went over very well on the grill.

Slightly off topic-- if any of you folks hunt crow but don't want the birds afterward please let me know, I have a friend in the Ithica/Binghamton area that studies them with the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and would love some hunter gifted birds.

Jennifer,

How do we get the birds to them. I hunt crow but don't keep them.