I want to buy Hunting Land

Geno C

Geno,

NYbh understands it

Like NYBowhunter said, shop, shop and then do more shopping. You are in the catbird seat right now because you do not have to buy but an owner may be in a panic to sell. Land prices are all over the place. I found that most NY realtors do not list all of thier properties in the multiple listings. They save some potential land sale opportunities for in office sales so they can get both sides of the commisions, they are called pocket listings. Don't be afraid to negotiate, some owners have been sitting on their for quite awhile now in this down market and just might jump at a reasonable offer. Just don't insult them with a lowball offer, that will turn them off to any future offer that you may make to them.

Edited by catskillkid

Don't be afraid to negotiate, some owners have been sitting on their for quite awhile now in this down market and just might jump at a reasonable offer. Just don't insult them with a lowball offer, that will turn them off to any future offer that you may make to them.

What some owners consider reasonable is probably still WAY overpriced in today's market. Sure they may feel insulted with a low ball offer, but a buyer won't luck out and maybe get a real good deal if they start offering what the owner considers reasonable. I would darned sure low ball them in todays market. If they want to sell it, then they need to negotiate and I may come closer to what they consider reasonable. Not like they are getting swarms of buyers making high offers to them these days. If they did they wouldn't have been sitting on these properties for as long as some of them are.

What's going on now is that you have to pay extra for the mineral rights! If your in the shale play area you still get the same price for the land, oh by the way if you want the mineral right it's another $50,000. I truly believe that come 5-10 years from now upstate will not look the same. Read the article in ODN this week about Pennsylvania, you'll see. Geno if you buy a piece without the mineral rights make sure that you have a clause in the deed that states no drilling within a certain distance from your home and no gas storage on the property. Have piece of mind if you don't have the mineral rights.

Steve,

I meant what a buyer thinks is a reasonable offer. I told a friend of mine the same thing but he had the same thoughts that you do. he made lowball offers to many sellers over a couple of years. No one took him up on his offers and they never even came back with counter offers because they were insulted. His name got around in the tight knit realtor community and none of them would spend their time looking for land and working for him anymore.

Guess what, he is still on the outside looking in with none of his own land to hunt.

Maybe i should send him to PA. He is shooting too many deer on my place :}

Most people especially farmers are very sensitive about who they are willing to sell their land to. The land probably was in their family for generations. Before I purchased our place the farmer made my wife and I come over for lunch to discuss what my plans were for the land. I felt as though I was being interigated by the CIA at Gitmo before he relized that we just wanted it for hunting and family. Now we are best of friends.

Edited by catskillkid

Most people especially farmers are very sensitive about who they are willing to sell their land to. The land probably was in their family for generations. Before I purchased our place the farmer made my wife and I come over for lunch to discuss what my plans were for the land. I felt as though I was being interigated by the CIA at Gitmo before he relized that we just wanted it for hunting and family.

I don't know about that either. If an accurate poll could be taken I would bet that there are way MORE farmers and people who live on rural land full time that are selling out to the gas companies compared to people who bought land for weekend getaways. Why? Because it is harder for them to make a living and the extra income from these gas companies is something most of them can't pass up. I highly doubt many these days will lose sleep over what will become of their old land when someone else buys it. In most cases the seller says "thank you very much" and happily runs off with the loot he just got to pay off his other debts.

Geno, I joined 2 clubs for like $400.00 a year, have access to almost 3000 acres , some spots I looked at , looked unreal for deer, less than 2 hours away, next to apple orchards, corn fields and onion farms.If you interested ,let me know. I used to have 40 acres near Liberty, me and a friend turned it into a hunters paradise, the unfortunate part is that we, and I am sure you too, have to work, and are limited to actually going, so the locals were killing alot deer on the prop. We sold and were able to double our money at the time, but be careful and make sure it a wise investment. The other downside, if there is a house on the prop, is the work to be done all year long, at that is my line of work, but found too much work with minimal return, and almost ended up either shooting at or getting shot, by a guy insisting he new the owner of my property, so that was enough for me. I now enjoy the freedom of going where and when I want and not being tied down to my property. Again guys, this just my personal experience, not looking insult and point of views. we all have our own horror stories, and yes gun clubs can be a pain too, but if it does not work out the investment in minimal. I know a farmer on the east end that been speaking to that would lease the property he has for the right price, I have permission to rabbit hunt there. I went out there during the summer but he already had leased for the season, I went the end of august, but maybe next year if a few of us get together, would def be worth it, he has almost 200 acres, and a shot and missed a 8 and 12 pointer 3 years ago in the same afternoon.

Anthony

Steve,

Have you actualy tried to buy a parcel of land to hunt in upstate NY? I suspect that you have not. I hope your attitude is not typical of everyone who has not. You may want to try it some day and enlighten yourself.

Most owners are very attached to thier land and care very deeply about what happens to it after they are gone.

• Like 1

Geno,

NYbh understands it

Like NYBowhunter said, shop, shop and then do more shopping. You are in the catbird seat right now because you do not have to buy but an owner may be in a panic to sell. Land prices are all over the place. I found that most NY realtors do not list all of thier properties in the multiple listings. They save some potential land sale opportunities for in office sales so they can get both sides of the commisions, they are called pocket listings. Don't be afraid to negotiate, some owners have been sitting on their for quite awhile now in this down market and just might jump at a reasonable offer. Just don't insult them with a lowball offer, that will turn them off to any future offer that you may make to them.

yeah i have noticed there is no rhyme or reason to some of these listings. the pricing on some is way over priced. i mean i heard of price high and then negotiate but the asking prices are not normal... im just waiting for a parcel to jump at me and if i get 20 - 30 acres i want to make sure its THE RIGHT 20 - 30 acres. thanks for the advice bud.

Steve,

I meant what a buyer thinks is a reasonable offer. I told a friend of mine the same thing but he had the same thoughts that you do. he made lowball offers to many sellers over a couple of years. No one took him up on his offers and they never even came back with counter offers because they were insulted. His name got around in the tight knit realtor community and none of them would spend their time looking for land and working for him anymore.

Guess what, he is still on the outside looking in with none of his own land to hunt.

Maybe i should send him to PA. He is shooting too many deer on my place :}

Most people especially farmers are very sensitive about who they are willing to sell their land to. The land probably was in their family for generations. Before I purchased our place the farmer made my wife and I come over for lunch to discuss what my plans were for the land. I felt as though I was being interigated by the CIA at Gitmo before he relized that we just wanted it for hunting and family. Now we are best of friends.

im a CASH deal ready to move on something. If a seller takes an insult to my offer they have every right to sit on that property till an egg hatches OR i might just get someone whos tired of waiting and paying taxes on it and take my CASH offer. im not waiting on a bank i am an easy sure thing. Not many people willing to throw cash at something right now...

I don't know about that either. If an accurate poll could be taken I would bet that there are way MORE farmers and people who live on rural land full time that are selling out to the gas companies compared to people who bought land for weekend getaways. Why? Because it is harder for them to make a living and the extra income from these gas companies is something most of them can't pass up. I highly doubt many these days will lose sleep over what will become of their old land when someone else buys it. In most cases the seller says "thank you very much" and happily runs off with the loot he just got to pay off his other debts.

i agree steve i heard more of those guys are selling out cause times are hard but i dont know it forsure tho. im sure it goes either way...

Edited by Geno C

Geno, I joined 2 clubs for like $400.00 a year, have access to almost 3000 acres , some spots I looked at , looked unreal for deer, less than 2 hours away, next to apple orchards, corn fields and onion farms.If you interested ,let me know. I used to have 40 acres near Liberty, me and a friend turned it into a hunters paradise, the unfortunate part is that we, and I am sure you too, have to work, and are limited to actually going, so the locals were killing alot deer on the prop. We sold and were able to double our money at the time, but be careful and make sure it a wise investment. The other downside, if there is a house on the prop, is the work to be done all year long, at that is my line of work, but found too much work with minimal return, and almost ended up either shooting at or getting shot, by a guy insisting he new the owner of my property, so that was enough for me. I now enjoy the freedom of going where and when I want and not being tied down to my property. Again guys, this just my personal experience, not looking insult and point of views. we all have our own horror stories, and yes gun clubs can be a pain too, but if it does not work out the investment in minimal. I know a farmer on the east end that been speaking to that would lease the property he has for the right price, I have permission to rabbit hunt there. I went out there during the summer but he already had leased for the season, I went the end of august, but maybe next year if a few of us get together, would def be worth it, he has almost 200 acres, and a shot and missed a 8 and 12 pointer 3 years ago in the same afternoon.

Anthony

i got ya Anthony. i am just looking for the right piece... i dont want guys wondering on when im not around, im not into that game... ill let you know about the club thing. after PR i think im donw with clubs right now lol, although the ones you joined sound great.

Geno, will keep you update when I finally get up there and rabbit hunt on how deer sign looks, dont let one bad experience ruin your outlook, I belong to another club for almost 20 years, have never had a problem, they used to have like 10 leases, they only down to 2 now, but again for the price I pay, worth every penny.

Hopefully me ,you and karp get together someday, and will talk a little about some things....

Steve,

Have you actualy tried to buy a parcel of land to hunt in upstate NY? I suspect that you have not. I hope your attitude is not typical of everyone who has not. You may want to try it some day and enlighten yourself.

Most owners are very attached to thier land and care very deeply about what happens to it after they are gone.

I have given it thought many times, and almost did buy a cabin and some acreage a number of years ago. Very glad that I didn't, but that's me and my situation. I, like Geno would have bought it cash money and if I were to buy it today I would do the same. As Geno put it, the seller can sit on the property until eggs hatch if he is insulted by my offer. I surely won't pay top dollar for land just because the seller feels insulted. The sellers motive is to try to sell for the most money possible, while my motive is to buy for the least amount of money. May the best person win. These days if some of these sellers really want to sell it in this down economy they'd better suck it up and not be so sensitive to feel insulted with offers. They better be happy that they are getting ANY offers at all, because it just may get to that point where they won't get any.

The other downside, if there is a house on the prop, is the work to be done all year long, at that is my line of work, but found too much work with minimal return,

Probably the best point in this thread. Many people go up to their vacation houses and find out that there are big lawns to mow, leaves to clean up, maintenance to do on the house, etc, etc. They think they will be going up for relaxation and then find out its just a lot more work waiting for them up there. Maybe those who can pay landscapers, land keepers to do the work will have it nice and will be able to relax when they get up there. I don't think that's the case for most of us, though.

man i have been looking for a few hours today at properties... i can not believe what some people are asking on them. They must be sick...

They will get even sicker when NO one offers them anything even close to what they are asking!! LOL Very FEW people these days have extra spending money to buy any vacation property, nevermind paying these people the outrageous money they are asking. If they really want to sell they will have to suck it up and sell it for anything they can get, otherwise they will be owning it and paying taxes on it for a good long while to come!

Probably the best point in this thread. Many people go up to their vacation houses and find out that there are big lawns to mow, leaves to clean up, maintenance to do on the house, etc, etc. They think they will be going up for relaxation and then find out its just a lot more work waiting for them up there. Maybe those who can pay landscapers, land keepers to do the work will have it nice and will be able to relax when they get up there. I don't think that's the case for most of us, though.

Steve, I have been there, Had a guy supposed to mow lawn, didnt do it for 2 months, when I got there had to spend 2 weekends cutting hay. The same year had my toilet crack and spill water for a week before I got there and shut it off. Again 4 weekends to remove carpets, replywood, and install new flooring. Then there was the upkeep with property and the joy of pulling up to your property when had 2 feet of snow that turned into solid ice, and shovel that from the main road to the house, like 200' long. Then go hunting the next day, and find footprints, blood and gutpiles less then 200 yards from my house. So I think for a while , I done with weekend home, when I can spend more then 2 days there, I will look into again. Great, if semi reitred with the time to go.

Steve, I have been there, Had a guy supposed to mow lawn, didnt do it for 2 months, when I got there had to spend 2 weekends cutting hay. The same year had my toilet crack and spill water for a week before I got there and shut it off. Again 4 weekends to remove carpets, replywood, and install new flooring. Then there was the upkeep with property and the joy of pulling up to your property when had 2 feet of snow that turned into solid ice, and shovel that from the main road to the house, like 200' long. Then go hunting the next day, and find footprints, blood and gutpiles less then 200 yards from my house. So I think for a while , I done with weekend home, when I can spend more then 2 days there, I will look into again. Great, if semi reitred with the time to go.

Oh, I believe you. I have seen lots of people have the very same experience. That is why when I decide to spend a week in the country with my family, I rent a house. Costs me nothing compared to owning something year round with NO headaches. Everything is set up and taken care of and I can relax more than if I owned it.

Geno some lands are still pricy I know theres a great 32 acre parcel

but me its land locked with a dirt road access.Theres 135 acre parcel

with alittle swamp close to farm land heavy hardwoods and open areas

there a 51 acre parcel off rt 52 outside walden about 15 minutes from

Newburgh off the thruway and etc.

^^ howmuch? its prob on the pricey side right?

Still looking over here. Alot of the properties i fine tune out and move forward on are under contract or sold... so i must be finding some good ones if thats the case...

• 2 weeks later...

20 acres up here, 1000 an acre. old xmas tree farm, bordering an assload of farm lands, and a creek bordering it. My lil bro works for the guy. Any given time theres anything from 5 to 50 deer thru there at a time. Turkey, geese, coyotes, u name it.

Hi, send me a pm with the information, phone number ect.

Thanks