Muzzle loader questions

the blur

Can someone explain the logic behind muzzle loading, and the muzzle loader season.

please.

I just don't get it.

it's own season.....

at first I thought it was a classic rifle gimick, so you own a vintage gun, and use it.

Now they are commonly available in any sporting goods store...

do they kick like a .30-06?

Can someone explain the logic behind muzzle loading, and the muzzle loader season.

please.

I just don't get it.

it's own season.....

at first I thought it was a classic rifle gimick, so you own a vintage gun, and use it.

Now they are commonly available in any sporting goods store...

do they kick like a .30-06?

They kick less than a shotgun and its all about traditional hunting for me.. I love it... one bullet...some powder and a primer and away you go. I even use mine during the regular season. It was started as a primitive muzzleloader season and IMO has progressed to single shot rifle season. I'm not an inline guy and never will be, but its still one shot... so you need to make the first one count.

That about explains it. You get one shot so make it count. They hardly kick at all. With the new inlines it's basically a one shot rifle capable of reaching out to 200 yards no problem. My buddy always gives me a hard time for using my inline because he's a tried and true flint lock guy. Lol but I always remind him of the only two times he's shot at a deer with his and how the bullet basically rolled out of the end of the barrel because of wet powder or didn't shoot at all.

with a traditioal muzzleloader such as I have a flintlock, it is a real challenge. patched rounds balls and real black powder. Try it sometime and you will answer your own questions. Here in my area in the north we get a week before regular season, and a week after regular season. As a primitive aseaso, it was better. Now as mentioned, the new inlines are single shot rifles that load through the muzzle. I use an inline (encore) during regular season, and I live in rifle territory. But during special seasons, it is the flintlock.

The State uses it as a management tool these days. Used to be the "traditional gun" thing but as posted, that's a thing of the past for the most part.

Even though I enjoy all guns, especially accurate ones, I do enjoy hunting with the old Hawken flintlock.

REAL black powder, English flints, patched round balls and open sights. Doesn't get much better!

I take advantage of it but really don't see the purpose. If it where limited to something like flintlock only, I could understand a bit, although it is still a gun. Recurve, longbows are seperate for bow season - why 2 guns seasons?

• 1 month later...