Recurve questions

Swamp_bucks

So my wife has a mission bow from a couple years ago.  She never wants to shoot it and she told me she would really rather have a traditional style. It doesnt have to be a wood.  The newer style barebow competition style is fine for her.  My only knowledge of traditional gear is zip,zero,nadda and i dont know any one who shoots or a place near by to help.  Ive honestly been considering it myself.  Figured if she wants to get into it i should as well so started research on you tube.   Wont be really looking to buy until later this year or next just getting some info. 

So questions are:

Cheap starter bow? Been looking at the samik sage,lancaster has a galaxy competition bow,  since i can change out limbs

Length?  Im 5'8 on a good day shes 5'3 so im guessing between a 58-66" in length.  

Draw weight?  Figured her to start light 25-30lbs.  Should i start same or go up to 45?

Thanks in advance.  Like i said this wont be a purchase anytime soon.  

Samick is a good starter bow. If you really dive into searching bows you can get some pretty nice used bows cheap.

Length wise she could handle a short bow without a problem. Her draw wont be long enough to get finger pinch on a shorter bow. Longer bows seem to be more forgiving though. What I mean by that is you can get away with more form error and still shoot relatively well. 

Weight wise starting lower is better. Make sure she can draw and anchor without struggle. To much weight in the beginning and people tend to pick up bad habits that are hard to break down the road.

Let us know what you decide.

• Like 1

Just my opinion, but the longer the bow, the more forgiving they are to form errors.  66" sounds like a good starting point.  25-30lbs is good if your wife is strong enough to easily draw it.  You want a weight you and she can dominate.  That will increase the more you shoot.  Samick is fine (forgot what the longer version is) but also any ilf riser with inexpensive ilf limbs will work.  They allow you to grow into heavy draw weights as you progress. 

• Like 2

I do have a longer than average draw length and the fist limbs I bought were #28. I am very glad I did not go heavier becasue I am sure it would have effected how I learned and my form.  cheap set of ILF limbs is gonna run you $100. I'd start low and move up as you and she build you strength and form