LONG ISLAND DEER REPORTS

Geno C

Good luck in Vermont Jimmy,Have you hunted deer in Vermont before?Not exactly the best state to hunt deer,Surprisingly.The outfitter I used for my Vermont moose hunt gets calls from non-residents all the time and He told me he has to be straight up with them,He's happy to take their money,But the odds of even seeing deer is slim.What part of the state will you be hunting?.

Thanks everyone for the good luck wishes. Antlers my dad was raised in Vermont so I have done the rifle there since I can remember. When I was young going with my dad and grandfather they would get some nice Deer. Now it is definitely just about tradition and having a good time. The deer hunting up there is definitely not great. We hunt public land which makes it even tougher. My brother got a nice 7 pt 2 years ago but last year was dead. We Hunt in the Rutland area. Opening day is Saturday so I am hoping for some action. Of course with the rules up there it has to be at least a 3 pointer. We will see what happens. Honestly if not for the tradition I would have given up on Vermont a long time ago.

11/11/11- My son and I hunted a little different spot today. Saw one small 4 point as we were driving in to the spot. My son took a shot at a doe but missed her late in the afternoon. She was with another deer. He couldn't really make out the second deer. I was skunked once again.

11/12/11- We were out today again. Kicked up 2 big does on our way walking in this afternoon. I heard something crashing thru the woods around 3:30 pm but never got a look at what it was. Came from a real thick area to the left of my stand. I was hoping for maybe a doe being pushed by a buck but that never materialized. My son saw a doe just as he was getting down from his stand. The winds both days really sucked. Hopefully tomorrow something good will happen.

hunted a new spot this morning had 3 doe just of out sight range comeing down a deer trail i thought i was on in the dark gues a little off being pushed by something. Then a spike same trail then a doe then wind. But the spike was looking for love. tommorow full day hopefully i get the spot i like.

Well quick update from my Vermont trip. Opening morning 11/12/11 last Saturday it was nice and brisk. Got to my spot in the dark. I sit up on a hill watching the valley down below on public land. Around 7:30am I could see a Deer way down below walking through the thick stuff. I figured it for a Doe. A few minutes later it came out a tad and I could see a horn. In Vermont the deer has to be at least a 3pt to shoot. It started to walk away so I grunted and it turned around and came into an opening at about 75 yards. I could see it was a legal Buck. Took my time tried not to shake and dropped the Deer in it's spot. Very happy as it is my first Vermont Deer ever and the outlook in Vermont was grim this year. Heading back to NY tomorrow. Saw 1 doe the rest of the week. Hope everyone is doing well on LI.

post-1287-0-23852200-1321724194_thumb.jp

Had 3 does and a spike come out, didn't want to take them. Only 10 yards away. While putting my stand together in the dark, I heard some leaves moving about 40 yards away. I took my small AAA flashlight and saw eys looking at me, I grunted and kicked some leaves around just for the heck of it. The deer came inn closer and closer. Couldn't see the rack, but it was fun for a few minutes.

Saturday 11/26 Went out with my son for a very warm afternoon hunt. My one buddy was out already and posted in his spot before we arrived. We decided to hunt another travel area today. Got into our trees about 1:30. My son was about 100 yards to my left facing away from me watching over a well used trail. Put my stand up on the edge of a real nasty thicket. Looked to have signs of a bedding area. My buddy text me around 2:45 that he had just saw 4 does with a 4 pointer about 45 yds from him. They gave him no good shot opportunity so he watched them walk off. He said the buck was just hanging with them not harassing them at all. About 3:45 I decided to give a nice series of soft grunts and then some of the bleat can. Next thing I know my son is texting me saying " Dad keep grunting I see a buck coming" I throw out some more soft grunts and I can barely see my son in his stand with bow in hand. Unfortunately he came across the trail my son was posted over about 60 yds north of him. My son watched him till he hit a real thick area and circled directly behind me. The breeze had shifted slightly during the afternoon and was now directly in my face so I knew it wasn't good. Tried some bleats and a few more grunts but I couldnt get him to show himself again. He was a nice 6 pointer my son said with wide beams. If my son wasn't near me I would have never known he was around. Makes me wonder how many times you think" this calling stuff doesnt work or there's no deer moving today" I figured he winded me and knew something was up. My buddy also was texting me while this was going on and he had a nice 6 pointer just out of range where he was posted. So even though nothing to show for it, it turned out to have some excitement on a day i figured would be dead cause of the temps. I gotta get some yard work done today so I wont be out till next weekend. Good luck all.

Well quick update from my Vermont trip. Opening morning 11/12/11 last Saturday it was nice and brisk. Got to my spot in the dark. I sit up on a hill watching the valley down below on public land. Around 7:30am I could see a Deer way down below walking through the thick stuff. I figured it for a Doe. A few minutes later it came out a tad and I could see a horn. In Vermont the deer has to be at least a 3pt to shoot. It started to walk away so I grunted and it turned around and came into an opening at about 75 yards. I could see it was a legal Buck. Took my time tried not to shake and dropped the Deer in it's spot. Very happy as it is my first Vermont Deer ever and the outlook in Vermont was grim this year. Heading back to NY tomorrow. Saw 1 doe the rest of the week. Hope everyone is doing well on LI.

Congratulations Jimmy on a fine Vermont Buck...way to go!!!

im not sure howmany more times i will be headed out this season... have alot to finish up at the house and what not. All and all i had a great season inspite of not harvesting anything. It started out very slow for the first 3 weeks but by the 3rd weekend i started having great encounters. Ive seen more bucks this year then any other in-spite of the odd weather. I had encounters with some very nice 130 class deer close and out of range, passed my nice 12 point twice due to no shot within 20 yards let a nice 120" buck walk twice and some nice 100" bucks as well. Missed my low 130 class 8 point opening day of gun season, twice lol. but i had a very productive season. ive killed deer every year for years but this year looks like i wont punch my tag and i am fine with it. I wish everyone good luck in the rest of the season and who know, maybe ill be out soon and get er done.

I cant wait to get back out on LI this weekend. last time i was out i saw 5 bucks in one morning. My friend hunted the same property today and saw six different bucks. two were chasing does real hard. They were all small with the biggest one being a small 8. we are still getting trail cam pics of some real nice bucks so i know they are around. good luck to anybody going out this weekend.

p.s. Geno dont give up yet i usually see the best action of the year in december on the island.

John