FastEddie's Fables

fasteddie

I bought the sled at DICKs for about $40 after my oldest son lost my other one . It's sturdy plastic and if there is a person on each side , the two can lift with a deer in it and place into a PU bed , etc . without it bending . I put a 8" piece of PVC pipe on the rope to make it easier to pull and it pulls real nice behind the ATV !

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3997937&cp=4406646.4413993.4415818.4417677

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another failed mission . Sat in the stand in Groveland for 3 1/2 hours Friday afternoon .

It was cold this am and I had to let the car run for a few minutes to defrost the car windows .

Was in my stand by 6am in Geneseo today .Heard maybe a dozen shots between 8:15 and 9 am .Finally got out of the stand at 10:45 . Went up to my SIL's house and helped her repair her electric fence as one of her horses got loose yesterday .

Went down and sat in the stand in the laneway for an hour and then took a walk to the woods to see if I could kick something loose . Nuttin ! Walked up to my vehicle and grabbed a sandwich and some water . Put the shotgun away and got out the ML . At 2:30 I called my SIL and let her know that I was still there and that I had heard a few shots about 2 fields west of her property . Saw 2 deer running across the field west of her property and 5 minutes later they were hauling butt across her wheat field . Those were the only deer I saw in 2 days . Both were bucks and the lead buck was a dandy !

Took a couple pics with the Bino-Cam ( 8X bino with a 5X picture taking capability ) . They were at least 200 yards out .

post-132-0-35631900-1322967100_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-67837800-1322967126_thumb.jpg

That red structure in the pic on the right is the neighbor's "condo" . I think it was a horse trailer that the guy made into a shooting house . The neighbor shot two does from there this year .... one with the Ml and one with a crossbow . He has never hunted with a bow just the crossbow this season . The structure is heated and he drives his tractor down to the pasture and leaves it a couple hundred yards from his condo .

It runs me over $30 to drive down hauling the Trailer with the ATV so I try to make it a 2 day deal and stay overnight in Groveland . I hunt there Friday and then Geneseo Saturday .

My youngest son and I are going to give Mendon a try tomorrow am ............

What a crappy day . Met my son at a spot in Mendon at 6 am . We got ready and headed for the stands about 6:10 . It was around 36 degrees and started out with a mist and eventually turned to a light sprinkle . We sat in the stands until 10 am after seeing zilch and absorbing the moisture . The weather was just plain miserable !

I had a doe cross the road ahead of me about 1/2 mile before I made my turn into the lane to park .The thermometer read 24 degrees when I got into my blind at 6:10 am . I sat there until 10:30 after seeing nothing and walked to the woods . There are all kinds of trails through the high grass and thick stuff and a few new tracks . Walking the pond field was crunchy as the water just lays there and it's the same in the woods . Nuttin !

I walked to my vehicle , changed clothes and drove to the village to get something to eat and use the john . Got back to the property , changed into hunting clothes and walked along the gulley to see if any deer were in there for shelter . Walked back to the blind and sat until 4:30 .

My SIL said that when she goes out at night to bring the horses in , she sees deer . There were plenty romping around during bow season but out of range .

I heard over 30 shots in the am . The 1st was a 5 shot group at 7:19 and later there was an 8 shot barage ( must have been 2 shooters) . Shots here and there afterwards . Most of the shooting was north of my SIL's woods .

It took me a while to thaw out on the way home .

I arrived at the field just before 2 pm and headed for the stand . Saw a gut pile about 50 yards north of the stand . As I got closer to the stand I noticed a dead deer laying about 30 yards from it . I walked over and saw that it was 3 dead deer and was pissed . I thought how could anyone kill 3 deer and leave them laying like that . I got into the stand and sat until 4:30 and was fuming all the time .

As I walked back to my vehicle , a SUV pulled into the field and a couple guys got out . The young guy asked me if I was angry . I asked him if he meant about the dead deer . He said yes and I told him I was real pissed . To shorten the story , the dead deer were road kill that he gathered up to use as coyote bait

. The father said they had been hunting that property for about 15 years and the yotes moved in a few years ago and were affecting the deer hunting . The son is a member of the NYS Predator's Association . They showed me pics of yotes that they had killed on the property . The son was very apologetic about messing up the hunting but didn't know anyone else was still hunting there . I told him that I felt much better knowing it was road kill and not just some wanton waste !

Well ..... another failed weekend . I hunted Groveland Friday am and didn't see a thing . It was cccccccold and windy . Walked the small woods . Never heard any shooting . Went up to the house and took an hour nap and headed gor Geneseo to get something to eat . Went to my SILs for the afternoon . At about 4:20 I decided to call it quits as I only had 18 more minutes of legal shooting time . Got out and saw a fawn in the lower pasture lot . Scanned the area and saw a doe . She was alert and was looking my way . Probably heard the zipper on the tent blind or maybe my teeth chattering . I had nothing to rest on but took a shot and missed . Paced it off at 160 paces or about 120 yards (short legs) . I checked all over , back and forth and there was no sign of blood and it didn't appear to be hit when I shot . I attributed the miss to cold and shakey . Stayed overnight in Groveland .

Got up at 5 and it felt good to get the extra hour sleep . There was a bit of snow on the ground . Was in the blind in Geneseo by 6:15 and stayed there until 10 . Walked down through the pond field about 400 yards and nuttin' . I heard 2 shot all morning . Went up to my SIL's and rewired a couple outlets in her barn and repaired the toilet tank in the bathroom in the Tack Room . Went back to the blind while checking the gulley again . I was frozen and at 4:15 decided to call it a day . Walked down to the laneway 1st to check it out before leaving . You'd think with all the time I have put in that I would have been more productive !

I used to be able to handle the cold better in my younger years !

Gonna give the spot where I shot my bow buck in October another look tomorrow . My son said he had stopped by to scout the area and had 2 small bucks and 3 doe run jaunt across one of the fields . Last day of the season for me so I am hoping for the best .

We usually bow hunt that area and then don't hunt it during regular gun season as a guy , his wife & kid hunt then . Kind of a working agreement and we share the stands .

This is the Final Installment on a disappointing season . Between yesterday am & pm , I was in the stand for over 8 hours and saw nothing . Heard 4 shots all day long . Nothing close . I hunted on West Bloomfield where I had gotten a buck during archery season this year and had taken a couple deer from that stand in the past . It was pretty nippy in the am but I survived . Glad the season is over as I am kinda sick of the cold wind blowing in my face . Never saw a thing all day , not even when driving to or away from the area .

I'm just thankful that I have at least one in the freezer !