Jump to content

FastEddie's Fables


Recommended Posts

It started to sprinkle as I drove from Ontario to Walworth . There was enough moonlight to walk to my spot but every once in a while the clouds would pass and it would get darker . I was settled in my hub blind by 6:15 am . Sat back and relaxed . Saw a fox at 7:55 and after that a few squirrels . Heard a few shotgun blasts towards Webster way in the morning .

It rained off and on and the wind was moving the trees back and forth . I was ready to leave at noon after seeing nothing and the way the weather was acting . It was still windy at 12 but the sun came out . Shortly afterwards the sun went away and it got crappy again . I left at 2 pm .

After checking the weather for today , I decided to wait until tomorrow to hunt . We have Mass at 8:30 and then I will relax and watch the Bills - Jersey Giants Game .

The spot I hunted is the same one where I had gotten pics of several deer . No doubt that they were probably hunkered down due to the wind . The wind was in my favor but didn't help .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went back to Walworth today and saw nothing . Spent a while in the blind and there was a Copter flying overhead and hovering . It made a heck of a racket . It moved along and later came back . Finally realized they were checking the poles / insulators , etc . on the power line property .

Walked up to my vehicle and got my harness and spent a couple hours in the treestand . Got down and walked the power line property . Saw where they had mowed and put up snowmobile trail signs . That's probably what all the noise was Saturday .

Between the guys messing up the area and the copter , that area is screwed up for a while . Going to try an area in Mendon with my oldest son tomorrow afternoon .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hunted a spot in Mendon this afternoon . I was in a treestand by 2:45 and had 2 scentwicks with plain doe pee on them . I was sitting there for about 5 minutes with my harness on and all of a sudden thought I should attach the belt to the tree . Duh !!! Around 5:30 I had a small doe at about 10 yards and i'm thinking should I , shouldn't I shoot . She had no idea that I was there but was facing my direction . She didn't appear to be a fawn as she wasn't "box shaped" . Anyways , she sauntered off and I didn't draw on her . Later I saw a buck with large spikes about 100 yards out in a field .

My son had hit a doe using his recurve bow . He hit her high and towards the back end . This was around 5:30 . She laid down so he waited . It started to get dark so I went to help him look some more . We gave up around 9 pm . His arrow had blood from tip to nock . The field had high weeds and brush . He is going to check it out again at daylight but I don't think it was a kill shot .

At least I saw a couple deer on the outing . Rain forecasted for tomorrow .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was in the blind in Walworth and all set up by 6:15 am . It was raining lightly but came down pretty good for a while . Stayed there until noon . I did see 11 turkeys at almost 8 am . They exited the woods on the trail to the Power Lines .

I had some pics of doe on my Trail Cam after being there Saturday plus the owner , his son and the daughter had walked around back there but deer had come out a couple hours after they left so they must not be bothered by the traffic .

Heading for South Bristol to hunt with 2 of my sons tomorrow .




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was setup and in a ladderstand in South Bristol by 6:15 this am . My son hadn't replaced the rachet strap and nothing was holding it to the tree at the top . I had extra safety harness belts with me , fastened 2 together and strapped the ladder to the tree . Was there until almost 11:30 and saw nothing . We hadn't scouted there this year and on the way out checked for rubs , scrapes and saw nothing . My 2 sons were on the north side of the gulley and only saw one deer . A fawn had bedded down about 80 yards from Nick .

We left and went to my son's house in Honeoye Falls and I dropped off an extra ladder stand that I had assembled . Then we went to out spot on Rt 251 in Mendon . Sat in the stand from 2 - 6:30 pm . I never saw a thing . Neither did Nick but my oldest son saw 4 -5 deer from his stand . There were chipmonks all over the place and they kept me entertained .

Maybe i'll have to pray a little harder at Mass tomorrow am !

I will have to check out my bow sight tomorrow . Either the fiber optic pin came loose or broke ...........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't hunt today . I had a dental appointment and then a couple of "honey-do" things to take care of for the wife .

I pulled the housing off my backup bow and put it on my Pearson TX-4 . Then took it out in the back yard and sighted it in . I am good to go now . I will buy a replacement sight for the bow at the end of season unless there is a sale / closeout on them .

Plan to hunt with my youngest son Wednesday but it looks like rain so I am hoping it isn't a downpour .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gonna be heading for Mendon in a few minutes . Rain in the forecast and it's raining here in Ontario now . Wednesday is the day my son has off so w are going to give it a try . We will probably get our butts soaked but we can't shoot deer from the living room . Rain and cold ....... dayum !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess I am a Hypocrite .......... I have been passing up spikes , fork horns , 5 points , etc for the past couple of years and have eaten my buck tags . Last year the only deer I shot a nice doe during gun season .

My youngest son and I were sitting out in the rain this am and we were about 150 yards apart . I saw a doe around 7:30 . She came toward the stand that I was in and when she turned broadside I let loose an arrow and shot under her . I had my pin set at 20 yards and she was at least 35 . Dumb ! Dumb ! Dumb !

Around 8 , I had a buck with a broken rack feeding in the field . He was milling around for a while . I was thinking that if he came close , should I , shouldn't I shoot . Well he came in just under 30 yards and I let loose another arrow . I hit him alot farther back than where I had aimed and he ran off with an arrow in his side . My hands were wet . The bow grip was wet but I should have accounted for that . I have hunted enough years to know better . Later , I had a nice 6 point come around and I though , go away , I can't shoot you , i've already wounded a buck . The 6 pt sauntered off and I felt relieved .

At 9:30 I got down , plcked up the arrow from my missed shot and headed toward where I saw the buck run . I walked the edge of the field and it was real mushy walking . I was ankle deep in mud . When I got to the spot where the buck had run , I saw him laying dead about 10 yards from the field . The Rage 2 had done it job .

Now the work starts . I have to skin and cut the deer up but ........... I need to take a nap first . My hunting gear was pretty wet and I have that in the dryer ,




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got the deer cut up this morning and have some backstraps marinading in the fridge . I vacuum sealed the steaks this am and decided to do the grinding tonight . Ran the heck out of the grinder and then it was time to clean up the kitchen . I was putting the grinder away in the box and thought , oh crap , where is the auger . Had to go out in the garage and dig through the bag that I had tossed out . Dug through the coffee grounds , eggshells , etc but i found it . I won't let that happen again !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Isn't always the case when you look through the garbage for something, egg shells and coffee grinds. That could be a title to a country song.

"Egg shells and coffee grinds

the only thing that was left

I lost my auger

and she walked out on me."

Burt --- Did you ever notice that if you play a Country Song backwards , the dog come to life , your honey returns , your truck starts and you still have booze !!!

I had emptied the bag from the container under the sink but the auger had sank to the bottom of the bag .

It still wasn't as bad as changing a baby's diaper !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Create New...