Do They Affect Deer Patterns?

Doc

Over the mere two years that I have been experimenting with trail cams, I have been wondering just what effects they may have on deer activity ....... if any. I have watched some locations start off with many pictures, every night for a period of time only to see the frequency of pictures seem to drop over time. I have also noted that the deer seem to be well aware of the cameras, to the point where most of the pictures have the deer looking straight at the camera. I have used only infra-red style cameras. I will admit that these observations could really be coincidence, or perhaps caused by other un-related happenings, and so I am not ready to say that placing a camera along a well used trail will eventually have deer moving around that spot. Also, I only have 3 cameras, so it's not like any of the evidence is over-whelming.

However, I really would like to design an experiment that might give more concrete results one way or another. In other words, I would like to try to come up with a way to figure out primarily whether trail-cams disrupt deer patterns. If that can be proved, it would be interesting to learn a bit more about how to improve camera use to minimize disruptions.

So here is the question for you all: If you had to figure out a practical way to absolutely prove that trail cams did or did not impact deer activity in the camera site, how would you all go about doing that?

Maybe there is no practical way that a guy with limited time, money, and cameras can really do such an experiment, and I sure haven't had much luck thinking up a way by myself. So I thought I would just bounce it off our brain-trust here and see if anyone had any slick ideas. Just a thought.

Human intrusion tied to the cams is likely much more of an impact than the cams themselves. Most people fail to practice the same level of scnet control, and entry and exit routes.

I've always found that cams (sans bait/attractant) will always have lower hits as the checks continue. Now I rarely use them for anything other than pure information in the late summer for an inventory and occassionally if sign appears and I cannot immediately hunt it or need to learn more based on the info I know. In that case, I set it and then pull it...not swapping cards.

Ultimately, it's situational. Bryan Kinkel has done some work with cams in this same strain of thought. He relies on Reconyx last I heard for inventorying. Setting the cams up high and aiming down has also show to be relatively effective. I also check them less often when I do set them up higher.

Edited by phade

I have noticed this as well but not so much as changing the pattern as much as advoiding the camera. I have litteraly moved the camera 90 - 180 degrees and re captured mature bucks that have learned to walk on the side or behind the camera, they still go through the same spot but walk around the activation zone of the camera.

I think it all has to do with the particular location. If its say, an active farm, where deer are used to new things being parked here and there and people walking through, then the cams wont have much of an effect, except maybe curiosity. In more remote areas, that normally dont get any human intrusion, they can have a big effect on the deer patterns, especially if you are checking them too often.

Generally, I like to put my cams at or near food sources. I dont like to try and put them in bedding areas, thats a good way to push deer, especially a mature one.

I hung a new 2011 Bushnell trophy IR camera over a woodland food plot this fall and was amazed at the reactions of the deer.

Most of the does were used to the cam as they were feeding int he plot sinnce june but come the end of august and on when bucks started showing up i would get a pic of a buck as it was entering the field then on the 10 second interval i had the camera the next shot was of the buck hi tailing it out of the field. happened to 3 different bucks.

I was amazed because it ws day light so no spooke from IR glow i guess it was a noise from the camera which amazes me since i have had it go off in my face taking pictures from a foot away and i could hear anything. Also the buck werent even walking towards the cam. It was a profile and two quatering away bucks.

Amazing.

I would say the human factor in and out affects them more than anything. I only have one inferred but it has been in the same spot for over two years. Over a small old food plot field. I seem to have the same frequency of pics over time. And yes a lot of the deer look at the camera like they hear it. I change my card out when I mow the lawn I mow a big loop through the woods it seems to have less human impact.

As far as the effect of human activity, I have a camera that watches a trail that comes into our front yard. Yeah, being sealed off 1000' off the highway and surrounded by woods and thicket, our yard makes a preferred food plot .... lol. But anyway, there is the constant normal activity that you would find around any home-site. So the deer are very accustomed to human activity and human placed objects. It's funny that the deer still find their way out into the lawn, but have all but abandoned that traditional trail that is chopped down into the dirt from years of use. This was another one those camera set-ups that started out with several pictures each and every night and then slowly tapered off to a point where a picture per week is more the norm. And yet the deer activity in the yard is unchanged. To me, that is some pretty clear evidence that there is something about that camera that they don't like.

I really believe that there is a lot to be learned about the art of using trail cams. We all run around placing these things around the woods without really knowing what the effects of doing that really are. I think there is a science to using trail cams and we haven't even scratched the surface in terms of learning all the little nuances and special details and considerations that we should be thinking about when placing these cameras.

Hmmmm. Maybe try figuring out where they are coming into the yard and try moving your cam there and see what happens? At least then, it couldnt be chalked up to coincidence.

I have stopped leaving my camera anywhere for a long time. I put it out for 2 weeks and move it regardless of what I find on there.

I think that's a good idea. I'll see if I can find a new entrance spot. Although I think they are not confined to one spot anymore from what I have seen.

I kind of agree with the idea of moving cameras frequently. I think if someone were to come up with a list of suggestions for successful trail-camming, that would have to be one of them. That is something that I was hoping that this thread might lead to ..... a large list of dos and don'ts along with reasons. I have to believe that we all have developed a few rules that help eliminate deer pattern disruption. This idea of trail cam use is still pretty much in it's infancy, and there appears to be a lot of things to learn about it all, and darn few resources for tips & techniques.

OK a few tips/ suggestions.. from almost 20 years of camera use! ( remember the old trailtimers that used a mechanical plunger to push a button on a 35mm cam?or just a thread to let u know when something walked through? i still have mine! :) ) First i dont like putting my camera on trails.. the deer will learn to use different ones.just to advoid the camera. I do place them on feed/open areas where human presence is more common and they can enter and leave mostly unnoticed. they are great for getting an idea of whats around. I dont check weekly and try to check in the rain.(pull cards). I never place where i want to place a stand! the area i survey with them is easily scouted for trails to and from..the stands are placed further up these trails. I stay out of suspected bedding/staging areas. and concentrate on logging roads and food sources. Like you said doc the activity in the yard is the same just stopped using the trail into it!! So monitor the yard you'll see the same deer and not spook them off the trails. this is the new fad with timed plot watcher cameras... you can do it with older cams just as well if the feed area is small enough or you have enough cams...This is Just what i do to try to keep the woods quiet and natural!!

Edited by G-Man

Similar to hitting a stand location repeatedly animals do notice your presence. this year with all the rain I had to go out to water locations more than 2X more than I would like to in order to keep the units from going under. Not surprising that I noticed a severe drop off in the creek activity around my cams as a result of the constant coming and going.

Deer spots that were hot in spring and early summer also tailed off with both of my largest target bucks not showing themselves again on camera after June.

A far as affecting the movement and patterns of the local deer herd, yes defintely. A human that visits the woods on a routine basis and who also places units out there that the animals get direct feedback from will without a doubt affect their behavior to a large extent. But the main question is how it affects their behavior. Some will tolerate these sites especially if a treat is being offered, while other animals learn not to like them.

Edited by skyhunter