The best 30-06 bullet

There are so many good bullets.

Any expanding type bullet that is designed for medium or big game and shoots accurately in your rifle will work fine for deer.

As far as dropping them in thier tracks, that is a matter of shot placement, regardless of what bullet you use. If the bullet hits OR PASSES CLOSE ENOUGH TO the central nervous system, or breaks both shoulders, the deer will drop in its tracks.

If it hits the heart/lung area but does not affect the CNS, the deer will run, but will pile up in a short distance, usually less than 100 yards.

If you gut shoot it, or make a marginal muscle wound, you are in for a long tracking job and may not recover the deer.

Those conditions apply regardless of what bullet you are using. Anybody who tells you otherwise has not seen many deer shot.

There are so many good bullets.

Any expanding type bullet that is designed for medium or big game and shoots accurately in your rifle will work fine for deer.

As far as dropping them in thier tracks, that is a matter of shot placement, regardless of what bullet you use. If the bullet hits OR PASSES CLOSE ENOUGH TO the central nervous system, or breaks both shoulders, the deer will drop in its tracks.

If it hits the heart/lung area but does not affect the CNS, the deer will run, but will pile up in a short distance, usually less than 100 yards.

If you gut shoot it, or make a marginal muscle wound, you are in for a long tracking job and may not recover the deer.

Those conditions apply regardless of what bullet you are using. Anybody who tells you otherwise has not seen many deer shot.

Three words to simplify this above..................................................................

Placement, placement & placement!!

I mean I understand the hole placement thing Ionly own one rifle witch is my 30-06 and thats only because I don't want to have to get use to 5 rifles and I love my 30-06 it takes anything down.I was using the winchester 150g and they were allright i was just looking more for people that have used a certian bullet and just love it.Cause like my gun I don't want to get used to many different types of bullets,One type of gun one type of bullet epuals my perfect package. :spiteful:

I use Federal Fusion 185gr 30-06 in my Remington 710. I've tried the Corelok 150gr, Hornady 165 gr. all at the same distance and always off by 2-3". I'm always dead on with the Federal no matter what. Last buck I took at 175 yds with the Federal - double lung and heart shot, he ran not even 20 yards into thick brush. When I got down to track him, the amount of blood i saw, he was dead before he hit the ground. It was like a scene out of a horror flick.

Lol thats what i like to hear and i might have to go buy a box.Like i said im looking for a bullet that i will never need to replace!!Thanks for the input guys i can't wait to hit the the wood tomorrow ill b there in the early morning and if no luck you bet ill be back later that night...Hunt On Good Luck To All..

I use the Remington Accutip in 165gr, Funny thing though, the last three 8 pointers I shot, the bullet never exited. All were shot perfect just behind the shoulder and the insides were soup with no identifiable organs. absolute devistation. Tracking was 30 yards, 10 yards, and three yards :bye:

Seriously?

Oh boy.....................

Hey Larry check these out.

New Woodleigh Hydro in a 9.3x62.....these are some Aussie guy's I know well who hunt Sambar in the nastiest forest you ever seen. They're always lookin' for a magic pill to shoot through stuff or DRT one so they don't have to track.

Warning! Rough language in the commentary (kinda what makes it funny too!);

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 1

Dinsdale.....Are those Woodleigh's available on our side of the World? I haven't seen them at Dick's?

I'll hit Gander Mountain & WalMart today and see if they have any. I bet they would be great out of my .243 for buckin' the brush.

Do you think they would be better than Core lokt's?

TIA,

Larry

I've had the most DRT's with the .30-06 and 150 grain factory loads. I've had my deer run the farthest before dying with 180 grains. I've switched to Nosler 125's for this year and I'm anxious to see what they do.

125gr Nosler in a factory load? Ballistic Tips?