Dry or Wet flies

rachunter

You don't need tickets. It's held at the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club in Golden Gate Park and open to anyone.

It's a very cool event and club. I lived in SF for a couple of years and would cast there a few times a week. Some of the best anglers and casters in the country came out of that club including Mel Kreiger.

Spey-O-Rama

• Like 1

Ted Williams was a hell of a fly fisherman

"I'll tell you a story about how good he was," said Gowdy. "The Red Sox were playing in Washington when the Senators were there. One day about 9 in the morning, he called me and says, 'Curt, they're having a national flycasting tournament over at the Reflection Pool.'"

They went.

At the tournament, one of the participants recognized Williams and invited him to try a cast. Williams put on a stripping basket and practiced a few minutes with the unfamiliar rod.

"He made a cast and the line went whoosh, all the loose line coiling out of the basket," said Gowdy. "Ted's cast was about five feet shorter than the guy who won the distance tournament."

12 hours ago, left field said:

You don't need tickets. It's held at the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club in Golden Gate Park and open to anyone.

It's a very cool event and club. I lived in SF for a couple of years and would cast there a few times a week. Some of the best anglers and casters in the country came out of that club including Mel Kreiger.

Spey-O-Rama

they need to install about 100 thorn apple trees behind them and a few willows in front of them to make it real.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I'll tell you a story about how good he was," said Gowdy. "The Red Sox were playing in Washington when the Senators were there. One day about 9 in the morning, he called me and says, 'Curt, they're having a national flycasting tournament over at the Reflection Pool.'"

They went.

At the tournament, one of the participants recognized Williams and invited him to try a cast. Williams put on a stripping basket and practiced a few minutes with the unfamiliar rod.

"He made a cast and the line went whoosh, all the loose line coiling out of the basket," said Gowdy. "Ted's cast was about five feet shorter than the guy who won the distance tournament."

Who follows people that cast string?! Tacks you are one strange dude to know all this about guys that whip string in water.

#LessOverzealousMods #WeWantANewMod

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

They went.

prob the greatest american.  Best hitter in baseball, leaves and flies fighter planes in the war, comes back and is still the best hitter, then becomes the national lead on Atlantic salmon and flyfishing.  Then his idiot family fights over his frozen head when he dies.  Incredible. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

Who follows people that cast string?! Tacks you are one strange dude to know all this about guys that whip string in water.

Honestly I remember reading that somewhere and googled it, its an 18 year old article. My memory is surgical

https://www.espn.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?page=f_fea_Ted_Williams_obit_Becher

Edited by The_Real_TCIII
  • Like 2

Joan Wulff was a phenomenal  caster . Watched her give casting lessons at the Cattskill museum . She use to be a competition caster back in the 50s. She could cast an entire fly line with no effort. She commented that with modern graphite  rods it was way easier than back in the day with glass and bamboo .

Honestly I remember reading that somewhere and googled it, its an 18 year old article. My memory is surgical

https://www.espn.com/outdoors/fishing/news/story?page=f_fea_Ted_Williams_obit_Becher
Man you really DO have surgical memory! It's almost as if you remembered it word for word! Stupendous! Also that was a great read! Thank you for posting it!

• Thanks 1

i passed on you on my fantasy league.  I heard you were later traded for a rock holder and 3 paperweights. 
Sounds like a good trade. I try to stealth my way in. Don't want my competitors to know how good I am

• Like 1

I picked up a book on New York hatches. It’s pretty cool gives a bunch of info and fly suggestions. This weekend can’t get here fast enough.
b93025d1abc4a1baca080317e61cb531.jpg&key=8905d6395ec2e23095779cbcd0505d732b0db3369ddf86b7778cafd882139830
b29e300075e5d7a1375db8d51b0c7c60.jpg&key=d7fca36108ea41aacb60dbd0a58ef57f3fad6250efd74f53220823195e233482

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where you fishing

14 minutes ago, rachunter said:

Up in the ADK’s. I’m hoping they opened up the seasonal road.

Some of those big bushy dry flies you bought should work well up there....

An old ( and long gone) fly fishing friend of mine who grew up fishing the freestone streams of north central PA  once told me that he went up and fished some Adirondack streams...

His quote was..." The flies they use up there would put a SET in your rod "....Of course, people who never fished split bamboo rods might not understand that remark....

19 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Some of those big bushy dry flies you bought should work well up there....

An old ( and long gone) fly fishing friend of mine who grew up fishing the freestone streams of north central PA  once told me that he went up and fished some Adirondack streams...

His quote was..." The flies they use up there would put a SET in your rod "....Of course, people who never fished split bamboo rods might not understand that remark....

I'm going to give the dry dropper a try.I still don't know which fly to start with hopefully this book will help.