Dry or Wet flies

rachunter

8 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Don’t sleep on euronymphing fellas, it’s my new jam. Caught ten browns tonight and only lost one fly and the East Koy is a logjam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mend it.  then mend it , mend it, mend it again , mend it once more , before you mend it, mend it again while your mending it might as well mend it. Mend it . 

• Like 2

I bought a Scientific Anglers Absolute Euro Nymph leader.. 13.5 feet, tapered to 2x at the tippet ring..The sighter is a tri-colored length of mono just above the tippet ring... 

This is my first attempt at tight line nymphing...Can't really say that the sighter has been  a big advantage, since I have felt nearly every strike...Still getting used to the system.....Not real adept at it yet...I need a tall, handsome, long legged fish monger to take me fishing and show me how to do it properly...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Damnit!! I just put in an amazon order and forgot Tippet rings....

Gonna give this whole system a whirl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hehehehe...I made the mistake of not ordering any extra tippet rings when I ordered the leader...

At present  the one that came with the leader is hanging about ten feet up in a tree ( along with 2 of my flies)  along a stream in west central Steuben County, so I am back to attaching my tippet with a blood knot...

• Like 2

My two favorite fly fishing pics.
Me silhouetted after a day fishing in Missoula.
And a gorgeous Brookie who smashed an Ausable Wulff on a small upper tribe of the Willowemoc in Roscoe.

369c4c24b8f32b874ae3dd2f2eb4948d.jpg

So fired up for the weather to start to warm up!!!!

• Like 6

My two favorite fly fishing pics.
Me silhouetted after a day fishing in Missoula.
And a gorgeous Brookie who smashed an Ausable Wulff on a small upper tribe of the Willowemoc in Roscoe.

369c4c24b8f32b874ae3dd2f2eb4948d.jpg&key=99735242193aa6221fc711ef9f90f7f6ff90e83cd8e6e1abe8801d90670b79ae

So fired up for the weather to start to warm up!!!!

Awesome pics!

Here’s a few I like; Colorado and me and my cousin taking a break on the St Regis 8daf1b18acfb550bcac46b2f81fda7b2.plist&key=5ee5ca5fd9d00cf411ff7e636361003d81ebc8b9a7dc97b8bd0e29b192bb08b5cd566cb8aea55f378132041c5b0ff22b.plist&key=c4cb58db2f0b31b1ff79cda8698b8f6a72b56573c29e8328dd7a09abb3693be4e715dcf209ea9ea5393c47684883b351.plist&key=f5cb2eecf573688bb93ad0b806b52b3e59ab656d9d619e2897aac82c9238057d09ef1d172462e500725bd2ea736d59f7.plist&key=9ca8d479faed6bcdd297b1c5d2dbd885a12cd95b9b29c7d17ae4b5b915cd79bb

Goddamn! fly fishing makes for awesome pictures. Especially if someone else is taking them when you don’t know they are taking them- that pic I posted of the silhouette was given to me a year after we got back by my buddy who took it- I just cursed him out for not wanting to fish the night run and was standing there not helping load the drift boat up the ramp. He was taking it as a “F U pic for not helping!” But it turned out to be the “poster shot” of the trip. Where did that time go?!?

• Like 2

Got some of the flies today. There all nymphs and wooly buggers and smaller mumic hogs. The rest are on back order. It’s going to be easy to cast these compared to the saltwater flies. I can’t wait to get out there and give them a shot. How many cast roughly before changing flies.
1920911f30f9411ad6a3dde68adf02a5.jpg
330ec5787571bb8cc8ec25b79f5e9506.jpg

How many casts ??  Depends on how many fish you catch..Tough to wear out a fly casting it, unless you hang it up in a tree out of reach,like I usually do...

A well tied fly should hold up to at least 8 or 10 fish, if not more, depending on the pattern.....Sometimes the more ragged they get, the better they work...

27 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

How many casts ??  Depends on how many fish you catch..Tough to wear out a fly casting it, unless you hang it up in a tree out of reach,like I usually do...

A well tied fly should hold up to at least 8 or 10 fish, if not more, depending on the pattern.....Sometimes the more ragged they get, the better they work...

I meant if I take a dozen casts and don't get a hit do I change the fly or keep move up stream?

Unlike Pygmy’s optimism, I read your question as how long to you stick with a fly that is not producing?

For me that depends on the water I am fishing. If I just KNOW a fish must be there I will try a few different patterns in the same hole, making certain I hit all the seems in that hole with a few good drifts.

I like to fish two flies in tandem...a larger bead head in front then a smaller fly about 12-16” back. I tie the tippet of the second fly right to the bend of the hook of the first fly although I saw some different methods while looking into the euronymphing technique I am hoping try when my shipments arrive.

Good luck!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Unlike Pygmy’s optimism, I read your question as how long to you stick with a fly that is not producing?

For me that depends on the water I am fishing. If I just KNOW a fish must be there I will try a few different patterns in the same hole, making certain I hit all the seems in that hole with a few good drifts.

I like to fish two flies in tandem...a larger bead head in front then a smaller fly about 12-16” back. I tie the tippet of the second fly right to the bend of the hook of the first fly although I saw some different methods while looking into the euronymphing technique I am hoping try when my shipments arrive.

Good luck!

I was hoping to get the drys to try that "dry dropper" left field mentioned.Maybe I'll give the tandem a shot.I didn't even catch a fish yet and this is turning into a new hobby.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

you guys make me wanna go fishing. We just got dumped on last night,six inches of wet heavy snow. A cedar tree hit our house,no serious damage,i have to replace some roofing metal. When is spring coming?

There's six on the ground up by me.The blue dot is Fulton co.

sd1_today.jpg

I meant if I take a dozen casts and don't get a hit do I change the fly or keep move up stream?

I’d move before changing flies. You should at least get a “false rise” if there are some fish around and feeding on top. Once that happens a time or two its definitely time to change it up

• Like 3

I tried my luck at sacandaga River west, but I saw a guy there and he said there where no trout just bass and pickerel, so I moved on but with all the back roads closed i didn’t find anywhere to go. This morning I went to the town of Ohio and tried west Canada creek the sign said brook trout. It was a really nice area,but it started raining and my hunting boot sprung a leak. I’m heading back out just not sure where. Bringing the waders this time. Those wooly buggers look awesome coming through the water. 

• Like 1