Target Panic - Any solutions???

5.9cummins

"Buck Fever" is a strange thing. The best advice I can give you is this. If it is a buck, look only at the antlers Long enough to determine that it is a Buck and a Buck you want to shoot. Then concentrate ONLY on the spot you want to shoot. There is an old saying "Aim Small, Miss Small" Concentrate on a spot on the deer. It is a shot you have made hundreds of times, the only difference is that now it isn't paper or another foam target. KNOW you can make the shot. If you question it at the last second, I guarantee you pull your shot. The other thing you can do is shoot a 3d Target for practice. I know it sounds stupid, but may change your perception of taking the shot. Always remember, you have PLENTY of time to get excited after the deer is on the ground....A lifetime in fact......Keep it together for the 10 seconds you will need to shoot the deer, and you can fall apart afterwards. LOL.

One word, believe in yourself.20 some years ago I was the capt. of a upper div. dart team ( real darts not those plastic tip things...) I was good, i played in touremnets as well and often won $.

I can't count the number of good players who fell apart as soon as they fell behind a little. I never did i knew how good i was and even when i was way behind I knew as soon as I started to hit big, they would start to fall, which they often did.

I honestly shoot myt compound close to a traditional archer, I draw, place the pin and whack, very little thought or time . Like shooting your gun on the range the more you hold it up and try to hold the crosshairs perfect the more it moves around .

You know you can make the shot, think less and make the shot !

Edited by Larry302

i had target panic real bad for a long time what always helped me was while target shooting walk up to the target about 5 yards away close your eyes draw the bow back keep your eyes closed and release do this a hand full of times it really helped meout alot.

A big help for me is to take a couple of extra deep breaths before I release. As soon as I see a deer within range I will begin to take slow deep breaths to counter the rush. I will release on a complete exhale, this is when your body will be most relaxed. Try to keep your muscles relaxed while you are sitting as well. The more movement and activity uses more oxygen and in turn raises your heartbeat. As for target selection once I decide to shoot the only area I pay attention to is exactly where I want to shoot. "Aim small miss small."

Thats funny you said that i took a shot at my first deer ever and no lie it was a monster 10..And buck fever hit me and my rifle started doing circles my hands got sweaty and i took a shot and missed he ran off..it was horrible lol..I was shooting a gun but still the same case i pratice a lot and have a great shot.I have since then just basically started shooing a little faster {nothing crazy},but i put the deer in the scope take a deep breathe line up a good shot and bang.Got my first deer last year not the ten i dreamed out but a pretty big doe!!Good luck man

I have found that passing on bucks at close range has cured any jitters I might have had in the past... I have never had what most would call full blown buck fever... but I did sometimes find myself getting a little anxious...and had to stop and take a breath before shooting... I still get pretty excited after a kill though.. I only look at a deers rack long enough to tell if he's a shooter.. after that its all business.

Also... having a limited range of 20 yards with the recurve I have had to watch many huge bucks wander around just outside of range... the more you watch the easier it gets

Edited by nyantler