Big 8 WOUNDED

njg0621

Apples and oranges Grow. There was nothing in the weather of the first one that would have impeded recovery. the two scenarios aren't the same. and for the record....it wan't after shooting light even given the attempt you tried to make with your sunset chart. Take your case of burn ass with him somewhere else

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I would take a 15 yd broadside shot in just about any weather. I certainly don't think that is being irresponsible. As bowhunters we are going to have times when things go wrong. That is just bowhunting. If someone said that they had never wounded a deer or taken a shot that they probably shouldn't have I would be surprised. You hit the buck high and then had some bad luck with weather moving in. I would have continued to track the deer as best I could with the fresh snow that night...but I'm not saying that backing out and waiting wasn't the right call. In this situation, I don't think there is a right and wrong. Just have to make the best decision you can at the time. Hopefully you hit high enough to punch the tenderloin and missed all vitals. Hopefully with the rut starting shortly, a doe will bring that buck back by you.

Ya I would have taken that shot, any time I dont see how he was being irresponsible, he waited for it to get that close while he could have shot it at 30. I had the same senario this year already without the snow, had a nice 20 yard shot on a deer and hit high just under the spine, i had one spot of blood and that was it, i backed out and waited till dark and tracked it for 3 hours untill i finally lost the tracks in the leafs. Its too bad you lost didnt find it, but if you hit it like mine, than hes still out there and maybe he show again this year

Sudzy... I kind of like these decission and ethics kind of discussions because I hope they make us all think a bit. So you are sitting in a stand and it has been "snowing like crazy" for the last hour and 3/4's...forecast is to continue all night. you are roughly 15 minutes away from the end of the days hunt....you shoot?

Sudzy... I kind of like these decission and ethics kind of discussions because I hope they make us all think a bit. So you are sitting in a stand and it has been "snowing like crazy" for the last hour and 3/4's...forecast is to continue all night. you are roughly 15 minutes away from the end of the days hunt....you shoot?

Continued- big buck comes in at 15 yards broadside the one you have had your eyes on all summer, it's a chip shot or is it?

Culvert ...and thats IYO...I don't see the difference other than trying to justify rubbing the guys nose init...Now as far as

Take your case of burn ass with him somewhere else

I never said one darn thing about that until now... and wouldn't have if this post hadn't happened...some opinions should remain in ones own head...but this was ridiculous ....and how... some ppls attitudes flip based on whose posting is as well....Ohhh and by the way...I had posted that DEC time chart way before that incident and was just re-posting as a reminder to all...If I have a

case of burn ass
with anyone I won't go about it subtly I assure you....so You can take that offer to go else where and stow it

Absolutely. If I have a 15 yd shot at a broadside deer in a snowstorm I certainly shoot. As long as the hit looks great...I would wait a matter of minutes before getting down and tracking the deer in the fresh snow.

• Like 1

Culvert ...and thats IYO...I don't see the difference other than trying to justify rubbing the guys nose init...Now as far as

I never said one darn thing about that until now... and wouldn't have if this post hadn't happened...some opinions should remain in ones own head...but this was ridiculous ....and how... some ppls attitudes flip based on whose posting is as well....Ohhh and by the way...I had posted that DEC time chart way before that incident and was just re-posting as a reminder to all...If I have a

with anyone I won't go about it subtly I assure you....so You can take that offer to go else where and stow it

You certainly took your shot posting the sunrise chart....post made about hit at 6:06 and sunset at 6:07. Tell me it was just an informational post and I call you a bald faced liar

I posted about the DEC chart a week or more before that happened and yes when the time was mentioned I posted it again as a reminder ...look it up...I know other ppl saw the post...where I said I'd down loaded it and put it with my hunting gear because THEIR times were different than the weather station...So It's in print ...want to call me a liar...hey go for it I consider the source

and if the hit isn't good? what then

It depends on the hit. As in the case of OP (with a high hit) where a possible gutshot is not an option, and we either got clipped a lung coming out or punched through tenderloin I would get after the deer within minutes of shooting. We either have a dead deer, or a deer that is going to be fine. In that case I don't think "backing out" changes anything. However, if the shot is back and looks to be gut and maybe liver at best, I would back out and wait, and most likely be doing a body search in the morning.

I'm assuming from your posts that you would pass on the shot entirely?

Oh and by the way I think the chart I posted after the shot was a weather station chart...the DEC chart would have made it illegal...now you can go look that up...because I'm sitting here looking at the DEC chart right now

According to the DEC chart sun set on Oct 29th was at....5:52....Do you really want to go farther with this?...I wouldn't have...but hey I can get just as pissy as the next guy

Edited by growalot

and if the hit isn't good? what then

Isnt that part of hunting, no one is perfect i know im am very comforatable at that distance so i would take the shot in a heart beat, if it went wrong, which it has with me, i would make sure i give it my best to recover the deer, if not that its all part of the sport

It depends on the hit. As in the case of OP (with a high hit) where a possible gutshot is not an option, and we either got clipped a lung coming out or punched through tenderloin I would get after the deer within minutes of shooting. We either have a dead deer, or a deer that is going to be fine. In that case I don't think "backing out" changes anything. However, if the shot is back and looks to be gut and maybe liver at best, I would back out and wait, and most likely be doing a body search in the morning.

I'm assuming from your posts that you would pass on the shot entirely?

Never been faced with the situation with that kind of snow...I have passed because of rain though

Isnt that part of hunting, no one is perfect i know im am very comforatable at that distance so i would take the shot in a heart beat, if it went wrong, which it has with me, i would make sure i give it my best to recover the deer, if not that its all part of the sport

I agree....there isn't a right or wrong answer....just all possibilities to consider before letting the arrow go. What works for one may not for others