Big 8 WOUNDED

njg0621

Now to put this to rest and to clarify A MISTAKE I MADE ....see how simple that is.....I took my info from the DEC web sight...seeing they don't just hand out books any more and there were none where I got my first doe tags...LT are mailed with out them...explanation done...

Mr B had gotten one and we took it out of the truck last night...there is in the BOOK a NY MAP as Culvertcreek mentioned...then I remembered due to his mentioning...and WNYBH was well in legal hunting hours according to the 16 minutes he would have added to the on line chart time...so a heads up...for ANYONE going by the online chart and are west of Albany you need to get the map to figure times or get your weather sunrise/set s for the town your hunting in....

So to put that to rest...YES I MADE A MISTAKE due to the DEC WEB SITE as you saw in the link I used....NOT HAVING COMPLETE INFO...I Apologize for THAT mix up

Ok ....

you just happened to be the the only example at the time...did you see me saying ANYTHING about it at the time? jk or other wise...yes I posted....... as I said....... the chart due to a previous post as a reminder.....

Enough is enough...this isn't kinder garden...point ...NOW I'm insulting your intelligences.... quit crying

Now to put this to rest and to clarify A MISTAKE I MADE ....see how simple that is.....I took my info from the DEC web sight...seeing they don't just hand out books any more and there were none where I got my first doe tags...LT are mailed with out them...explanation done...

Mr B had gotten one and we took it out of the truck last night...there is in the BOOK a NY MAP as Culvertcreek mentioned...then I remembered due to his mentioning...and WNYBH was well in legal hunting hours according to the 16 minutes he would have added to the on line chart time...so a heads up...for ANYONE going by the online chart and are west of Albany you need to get the map to figure times or get your weather sunrise/set s for the town your hunting in....

So to put that to rest...YES I MADE A MISTAKE due to the DEC WEB SITE as you saw in the link I used....NOT HAVING COMPLETE INFO...I Apologize for THAT mix up

Thanks for clarifying Grow. :bye:

Well and we hear from the third player...only one person made this "high school" boys and it wasn't me You three have called ppl out as liars....accused them of dubious intentions over simple questions ....driven them off the site with constant bickering over opinions...and the list goes on ....So you maybe over achievers...past high school jocks...or the geek that got picked on in high school and now found his "gotcha niche" on the internet....I don't much care....What you aren't are the deer hunting moral police...the guy had a bad hit just like your buddy....in your eyes as with past posts.... God or what ever entity could come down from the heavens and demand it was the same.... and you'd go into defense mode and fight him, the never ending story...so keep typing what you say is of little importance to me...really I"M the IDIOT...you sucked me in again that is MY BAD...done

I'll tell you what ..... this whole thread and the replies that have come out of it bother me. I know from personal experience that a wounding loss is a pretty traumatic experience for any serious hunter. It is the kind of thing that in some cases has caused people to quit the sport. I really don't see any reason for anyone on here to feel it is their duty to make that experience even worse by nit-picking the hell out of every little detail. I don't get what people enjoy about doing that.

others are out there hunting and perhaps as clueless as you....

Hmmmmm. guess the clueless one was staring back at you in the mirror this morning while you were brushing your teeth.

I will give you that the online info at DEC doesn't match up with the printed book or the online PDF. I sent them an email suggesting they change that since they failed to have enough printed copies available.

I'll tell you what ..... this whole thread and the replies that have come out of it bother me. I know from personal experience that a wounding loss is a pretty traumatic experience for any serious hunter. It is the kind of thing that in some cases has caused people to quit the sport. I really don't see any reason for anyone on here to feel it is their duty to make that experience even worse by nit-picking the hell out of every little detail. I don't get what people enjoy about doing that.

Doc, I remember a few weeks back discussing marginal shots and you seemed really set against them. To me this is no difference. The responsibility we have as hunters starts way before the shot and continues way after it. I went back and reread this entire post. no one got on his a$$ until he flipped out on Does suggestion that not taking the shot was an option. He came out and said he didn't reget anything and I sure got the feeling he learned nothing from the experience. bad things can happen to ALL of us it is part of the sport. We have to learn from them and if someone is going to take the stance that they would act the same with the same possible outcome....I am not sure we need increasing hunter numbers that badly. My 2 cents.....and if you throw in an extra couple bucks you might have enough for a cup of coffee...they are just words and my opinion and not worth all that much.

This was a low percentage shot and just the type of thing I remember them covering in the bow hunter education course way way way back when

I agree Doc-it's all nit-picking.

Doc, I remember a few weeks back discussing marginal shots and you seemed really set against them. To me this is no difference. The responsibility we have as hunters starts way before the shot and continues way after it. I went back and reread this entire post. no one got on his a$$ until he flipped out on Does suggestion that not taking the shot was an option. He came out and said he didn't reget anything and I sure got the feeling he learned nothing from the experience. bad things can happen to ALL of us it is part of the sport. We have to learn from them and if someone is going to take the stance that they would act the same with the same possible outcome....I am not sure we need increasing hunter numbers that badly. My 2 cents.....and if you throw in an extra couple bucks you might have enough for a cup of coffee...they are just words and my opinion and not worth all that much.

This was a low percentage shot and just the type of thing I remember them covering in the bow hunter education course way way way back when

I have no problem with discussing shot selection, and weather considerations and such. I just think it is poor timing to pick a thread where a guy has just had one of hunting's worst scenarios happen to him, to be making that kind of a point. Such discussions are better left to a separate thread that doesn't wind up feeling like someone piling on to a bad situation in kind of a personal way. I don't know whether I am being clear as to the distinction, but this whole thread has turned into a "well dummy you did everything wrong and I'm here to explain it all to you" kind of a thing. Yeah, I think the guy might get a bit defensive over that kind of reaction. I think I might have started a new thread to discuss errors in shot selection and weather conditions where it might not have been taken as a personal attack on his choices.

Even if you believe that area exists...it is small and not try to pass through it from an elevated stand. Now if you are too far forward that may be a different story

I do believe it because it exists. Nothing mythical about it. Granted, it is small but it is there. It can even be seen in the circulatory system diagram that was posted. Deer aren't recovered from this hit to verfiy this because it's not a mortal injury.

I do believe it because it exists. Nothing mythical about it. Granted, it is small but it is there. It can even be seen in the circulatory system diagram that was posted. Deer aren't recovered from this hit to verfiy this because it's not a mortal injury.

there is room there. just as in humans the lungs expand and contract. but to my other point....can you get through there at 15 yards out of a treestand? As DOc pointed out this is probably developed into a topic that should be taken off this thread. I think the understanding of the deers anatomy would be worth a discussion. especially from different shot angles. (we could skip discussions on the poop chute though, that got beat up earlier..lol)

Getting it through there from an elevated position reduces the chances. Just not impossible.But it would also depend on how high in the stand and how far of the shot. I was 12 ft up and the shot was 20 yards. Agreed, a separate deer anatomy thread would be better.

Dude seriously?? You are STILL going on about this?? DO you work? When I first posted this I wrote a quick write up not expecting that it would be picked apart like this and I needed to write EXACTLY what happened. I think I stated that I hit it above the lungs but below the spine and I was just trying to give an idea of where the shot was. It was actually a little bit back and I NO FOR A FACT I DID NOT HIT ANY VITALS! No heart, no lungs, no liver. Anyways I am done with this thread, this is ridiculous. Some of you guys like to act like you are perfect...NEVER made a bad shot, Never hunted in rain, Never hunted in the snow, Never hunted on a windy day! HA! I bet if I talked to your best friend I would hear a different story. Anyways for the record I am an ethical hunter, I do try to make good decisions, I practice deer management, I put a lot of time in the woods year around studying deer, and I am part of several hunting and fishing clubs\organizations. Thanks for those of you who could relate or actually give some advice rather than nit picking a quick write up and jumping to conclusions. As far as Culvercreek and Doewhacker, I live in the Albany area and you guys seem to have all the answers about hunting maybe you could take me out and show me the ropes?? Sorry this thread turned into this!! I am not contributing another minute to it!

Edited by njg0621

"So you really don't understand that if the arrow was in the body cavity you killed that deer based on the elevated angle?

Wow."

Who are you to say the deer is dead? It may or may not be dead neither of us know for sure! Are you saying that no deer can have an arrow stuck through it and live? TheDude just posted a pic in the TrailCam pics section of a doe with a arrow completely through her head walking around! And anyways I never claimed that the deer isn't dead right now because I don't know either way. What I do know is if the deer is dead it took HOURS to die and that its why I didn't chase him around, he wasn't losing any blood and he didn't get hit in any vitals.... SO DO THE MATH HE DOESN'T DIE ANYTIME SOON! What do you not understand about this????? If that deer died\dies I bet it will be from infection if anything. You really think you know it all don't you? Anyways I can't believe I responded again I promised myself I was done but that is officially it for me.

Edited by njg0621

I usually stay out of these scuffles, but I saw the exact same thing on the PA Hunting forum yesterday, but this time, the OP was ripped a new one for NOT backing out and coming back later.

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2422687#Post2422687

Moral of the story- don't post about your lost deer on the internet. :roulette:

"he wasn't losing any blood and he didn't get hit in any vitals"

For the last time, when hot blood hits snow it sinks to the ground leaving little or no trace that it is even there, add to that the mist from a potential lung shot and you will not see blood in a snow storm. You can try to call me a know it all, I don't care. I do know way more than you reguarding tracking wounded game, clearly you do not want to hear it though. When you come upon this buck later in the year I hope you realize then that I and some others were right.

"he wasn't losing any blood and he didn't get hit in any vitals"

For the last time, when hot blood hits snow it sinks to the ground leaving little or no trace that it is even there, add to that the mist from a potential lung shot and you will not see blood in a snow storm. You can try to call me a know it all, I don't care. I do know way more than you reguarding tracking wounded game, clearly you do not want to hear it though. When you come upon this buck later in the year I hope you realize then that I and some others were right.

I have shot MANY MANY MANY deer in snow and the bloodtrail couldn't have stuck out any better! I would rather track a deer in white snow than on red and orange leaves! Yes some of the blood will sink in the snow but there would still be SOMETHING, there was virtually nothing here maybe 2 drops total and guess what they were on top of the snow. Now if you told me that the snow that was falling covered it up than I would agree with you. Seriously though can I get your number so if I shoot a deer this weekend you can come track it for me?? I hear you are the best around!

And I got sucked in again.... Lunch is almost over though!

Its a fact in bowhunting there is going to be some deer never recoverd. Its a bad experience that i wish on no man or beast. What i don't understand is why a hunter would post on the WORLD wide web about it. Talk it over with your hunting buddies PM someone who may have good advice.

Oh and to add that one got 'piss drunk" after just makes us look how the anti's want us to.Bunch of drunks who wound deer.

Good luck the rest of the season, just give some thought to what you write for the world to see .

Its a fact in bowhunting there is going to be some deer never recoverd. Its a bad experience that i wish on no man or beast. What i don't understand is why a hunter would post on the WORLD wide web about it. Talk it over with your hunting buddies PM someone who may have good advice.

Oh and to add that one got 'piss drunk" after just makes us look how the anti's want us to.Bunch of drunks who wound deer.

Good luck the rest of the season, just give some thought to what you write for the world to see .

Oops I just copied and pasted a email that I had sent to my buddy about it and forgot I had written that. I was just being honest though I knew I just wounded a deer drowned in my sorrows that night with a couple hunting buddies. As far as posting about losing a deer I will never do it again... Lesson learned!

NJG People can be very critical take with a grain of salt and go about your buisness. Just learn from your mistakes and it will make you a better hunter and person. I have made mistakes and so has everyone on this forum. I would say post what you want just becareful how you word some things. Now get out there and shoot a bigger one at 10 yards.

If you haven't lost a deer bowhunting, you either dont shoot at many or you haven't bow hunted for very long. If you hunt long enough you will lose deer it's a fact of Bow hunting life. People get excited and " lose there mind " when buck fever takes over. Overcoming this and following through on your shots will increase your kill shots. If I ever stop " redlining" when I have a deer infront of me I'll probably quit hunting. Almost having a heartattack is part of the fun of deer hunting.

12 ft and 20 yrds sounds like a flat enough angle to get both lungs on a high hit, though I could be wrong. Sounds more like you either hit infront of the shoulder high or shot over the back bone. Both shots are survivable. I shot a big 8 back 8 yrs ago the had a perfect slug hole through the top of theridge of backbone. One inch lower and I never would have had a chance to shoot him.

• Like 1