Big 8 WOUNDED

njg0621

WTF does a sunset table have to do with not tracking right away in a snow storm?

I have read so many posts on here lately of the same type, guys have no clue where they hit them, how to track and what type of blood comes from where, I bet some couldn't even pass a simple biology quiz on what parts are where inside the deer. Then when you tell them what they did wrong they try to make you look like a a-hole. You know what was not the best way to find the deer, the way you did it. Going home and getting wasted sure didn't do anything to help look for a wounded deer did it. I explained why you didnt see blood and you ignored that because you need to be right.

Its simple, there are too many things that can happen on even the best day that make it hard to find a deer. Then add in a crazy snow storm and the odds of finding a perfectly hit deer diminish by ten fold.

What do I know though, I liver shot one Sunday at noon and we had to track right away, found it in its bed with in 45 minutes and waited it out 3.5 hours until I could get in to finish it off. I guess I should have went home and got plastered instead.

Edited by Doewhacker

You really want to keep going on this huh? well here is his quote...note I'm not naming names ...but when the person that shoots says this ...yes IMO it was too dark ...but that doesn't change the reason I posted the chart....others are out there hunting and perhaps as clueless as you....

nowhere to be found, and couldnt see any blood, as it was getting dark.

And then he got lights....and kept looking......but it was a clear forcasr night and a bluebird day to follow.....there is the difference between the two scenarios....a lot of deer are tracked after dark following an evening hunt.....and fyi...I am not saying uncle on the sunset times just yet...when I do I will say I was wrong on the times and truly have gone past out of my ignorance on the issue...but not just yet

I don't know if I would of taken that shot, maybe maybe not. Too complicated a situation to put yourself in. He took it and made a decision and stuck by it. He could of very well started tracking the deer and jumped it a few times and pushed it into the next county. Hunting is a difficult sport, you know what's right for you, live by it. I don't think he was wrong, just my opinion. Is it just me, as a group since bow season started we have wounded more deer than normal? It just feels I'm reading a lot of stories of wounded deer not recovered? This could mean a whole world of things but I'll leave it at that.

WOW... we sure have some 'Monday Morning Quarterbacks' on this thread. I don't know of too many archery hunters that would shoot a deer to see how badly they could screw up their hunt. This is a case of a hunter that made a shot and lost a deer... it's a simple as that - been there, done that.

It's a shame it happened. I say - "don't should on others... you weren't there".

• Like 2

I couldn't agree more there are many righteous hunters on this thread. I would have to believe everybody that hunts has made a mistake in judgement when hunting in one way or another doesn't make it right or wrong - bad or good - it's how we all get experience and know what to do and what not to do the next time. Good luck trying to recover the animal. Stop bashing and support your fellow hunter there aren't many of us left out there so put your noses back down

Missy and Sampson.....I was right there wish you until the "I don't refer anything" comment. "How could I NOT shoot" comment. I am all for learning from mistakes. And doe has a great point on deer anatomy. Let's assume the shot is in front of the diaphragm as he said. Get onto a treestand and tale a 15bluebird yard shot at a deer. Think of how narrow that nomans land is above the lungs and under the spine at ground level....now elevate to 15the feet and 15lap yards distance. I don't think its possible to get through without hitting the off side lung....that is besides the point really. Wee all know bad thongs happen and it is part of the sport. Those two comments spoke to attitude. He came across as Simone that thought he deserved to take the shot because of all the tome he has spent....and one that would do it again without a second thought.

WOW... we sure have some 'Monday Morning Quarterbacks' on this thread. I don't know of too many archery hunters that would shoot a deer to see how badly they could screw up their hunt. This is a case of a hunter that made a shot and lost a deer... it's a simple as that - been there, done that.

It's a shame it happened. I say - "don't should on others... you weren't there".

Dito I was just going to say the same thing as I was reading this. (no you should have thrown on 3rd down instead of run). LOL Good luck to ya if ya dont get him get the next one that walks by.

• Like 1

Something doesnt add up, At 15 yrds a high center hit should have got the top of the near lung lobe and through the middle of the far lung resulting in a dead deer and complete pass through, even if he was 25 ft up in a tree. If he did manage to make it under the back bone without hitting the lungs he more than likely would have hit the Aortic Artery under the spine or even hit the spine, resulting in arterial spray or a dropped on the spot deer. My theory is he either hit farther back or farther forward than he thinks, If he shot just over the spine through the hide and meat, I have a hard time beleiving it wouldnt have passed all the way through. If he hit infront of the scapula high he would have missed both lungs and hit the dreaded black hole and could have stopped his arrow. I have hit a buck there before when I 1st started bow hunting and the arrow did not pass through and I found very little blood and never found the deer. If he hit high to far back he should get a complete pass through also. I think it was a high forward hit, and deer is sore but still alive.

post-205-0-68334000-1320219800_thumb.jpg

Edited by erussell

You really want to keep going on this huh? well here is his quote...note I'm not naming names ...but when the person that shoots says this ...yes IMO it was too dark ...but that doesn't change the reason I posted the chart....others are out there hunting and perhaps as clueless as you....

Ok Grow, let me put this to bed for you. The sunset table that you posted shows what time the sun sets in Albany. Sunset is different depending on your location across the state. According to 4 sources (weather sites, and an app I use on my phone that tracks sunrise and sunset by GPS coordinates) sunset that day was 6:07 at my location, I took the shot right around 6:06 or 6:07. After I shot the deer, I sat up in my stand for 10 minutes to calm myself before I even called my father to bring down a light. By the time he got down there was @ 15 mins after the shot, it was starting to get dark at that point. I wasnt 100% on the shot and didnt want to push the deer, so I made the call not to spend too much time poking around down there. Id rather let the deer sit and not push it into the next county.

I couldnt shoot a deer when its dark with my bow even if I wanted to, I have very short fibers on my pins and dont use a sight light or lighted nocks, as I want to be able to enter into P&Y if I were to get one of the big bucks on the farm I hunt. I honestly dont give a damn what your opinion of my choice is. The shot happened at the last minute, it was legal and not an issue to me. The two shots themselves may be similar in this thread and what happened with me, but they are certainly not the same situation. Stick to the topic at hand, and if you have a problem with me, bring it up TO me, not in backhanded comments in another thread that has nothing to do with me.

X2!

• Like 1

Something doesnt add up, At 15 yrds a high center hit should have got the top of the near lung lobe and through the middle of the far lung resulting in a dead deer and complete pass through, even if he was 25 ft up in a tree. If he did manage to make it under the back bone without hitting the lungs he more than likely would have hit the Aortic Artery under the spine or even hit the spine, resulting in arterial spray or a dropped on the spot deer. My theory is he either hit farther back or farther forward than he thinks, If he shot just over the spine through the hide and meat, I have a hard time beleiving it wouldnt have passed all the way through. If he hit infront of the scapula high he would have missed both lungs and hit the dreaded black hole and could have stopped his arrow. I have hit a buck there before when I 1st started bow hunting and the arrow did not pass through and I found very little blood and never found the deer. If he hit high to far back he should get a complete pass through also. I think it was a high forward hit, and deer is sore but still alive.

There most certainly is a spot above the lungs and below the spine, we call it no mans land, I shot a deer there years ago. A deer hit there will not bleed much and survive if it doesn't get infected. The arrow will have a wax type coating on it.

• Like 1

The deer was shot below the spine but above the lungs.

Impossible. The lungs fill the entire thorac (sp) cavity on a living mammal.

They actually fill space around and part way up the spine.

Deer that are claimed to be hit in this mythical spot are seldom if every recovered to verify the actual hit.

Where we think we hit and where the arrow actually goes are often quite different.

There is an extremely slim chance of a deer surviving a high double lung hit, but is so rare few will ever see it.

There is no void "below the spine and above the lungs"

Impossible. The lungs fill the entire thorac (sp) cavity on a living mammal.

They actually fill space around and part way up the spine.

Deer that are claimed to be hit in this mythical spot are seldom if every recovered to verify the actual hit.

Where we think we hit and where the arrow actually goes are often quite different.

There is an extremely slim chance of a deer surviving a high double lung hit, but is so rare few will ever see it.

There is no void "below the spine and above the lungs"

Ditto- There's no such thing as "no man's land". If you are below the spine you are in the lungs if you are in the thoracic cavity. A much more likely scenario is through the loin, but the arrow should pass through. I think this particular deer is dead and it was a high lung hit unless it was high forward and the arrow went through the loin and into the opposite shoulder blade. I had that happen once.

There most certainly is a spot above the lungs and below the spine, we call it no mans land, I shot a deer there years ago. A deer hit there will not bleed much and survive if it doesn't get infected. The arrow will have a wax type coating on it.

Even if you believe that area exists...it is small and not try to pass through it from an elevated stand. Now if you are too far forward that may be a different story

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

"I draw and go to put the pin on him and there is a leaf in the way. Instead of waiting another 5sec I redline and shoot through the leaf."

This is whereI have the problem with his story. I know the "big deer I have to shoot" thing that goes through your head. This should make everybody on this website say I would have waited for a better shot. in my opinion. We have all misjudge or shot and said never again. I just hope that he learned a lesson from it and can look back and become a better hunter.

WNYBH...It really wasn't about you in the first place nor just Culvertcreek...He was the one that made it about you...you just happened to be the the only example at the time...did you see me saying ANYTHING about it at the time? jk or other wise...yes I posted....... as I said....... the chart due to a previous post as a reminder..... it was Culvert and now you that put it as a personal attack to you....When the point was how negative a group with in the site seem to be with others out side said group ....then you get the tag alongs....

There was only one honest person that posted and they brought up the he went home and got drunk issue....IMO that was probably what tweeked most but instead of coming right out and saying it...... his judgment on whether to shoot or not was torn to shreds....he made a decision.... just as you took the shot and lost a deer ......he went out the next day with help just as you..... So for ppl to rub his nose in something just because he was foolish enough to say he got drunk ...... instead of It's going to be a restless night is just poor form......Many including myself have lost deer....

As I said before....YOU NEVER saw me say a WORD up until this post about your deer...you are just words on a forum..... I don't know you..... never.to knowledge met you and don't have the inclination to set my mind on having an "a$$ burn " toward you.....If you and a few others give opinions that differ from say .......my self and others ...then one of us return a opposing opinion ...Well defenses go up and the real nasties come out....give it a rest....It isn't a test...nor a contest...just opinions doesn't mean you have to be right all the time but being respectful of others opinions would be nice

Posted Yesterday, 04:36 PM

You ppl kill me...a person shoots a deer ...obvious way darker than should..IMO and looses said deer ... Arrow sticking out of a shoulder and it's...."Good luck ...go get em good luck...He doesn't find said deer ....and what do you guys say when he tells ya he's going right back out?...Ohh... "Good Luck go get em best luck..."

This guys tells you basically the same scenario and you some of you criticize and jump his ass for not making the right decision...Just so so many Wow moments on this sight

Who were you talking about in this post then?

WNYBH...It really wasn't about you in the first place nor just Culvertcreek...He was the one that made it about you...you just happened to be the the only example at the time...did you see me saying ANYTHING about it at the time? jk or other wise...yes I posted....... as I said....... the chart due to a previous post as a reminder..... it was Culvert and now you that put it as a personal attack to you....When the point was how negative a group with in the site seem to be with others out side said group ....then you get the tag alongs....

There was only one honest person that posted and they brought up the he went home and got drunk issue....IMO that was probably what tweeked most but instead of coming right out and saying it...... his judgment on whether to shoot or not was torn to shreds....he made a decision.... just as you took the shot and lost a deer ......he went out the next day with help just as you..... So for ppl to rub his nose in something just because he was foolish enough to say he got drunk ...... instead of It's going to be a restless night is just poor form......Many including myself have lost deer....

As I said before....YOU NEVER saw me say a WORD up until this post about your deer...you are just words on a forum..... I don't know you..... never.to knowledge met you and don't have the inclination to set my mind on having an "a$$ burn " toward you.....If you and a few others give opinions that differ from say .......my self and others ...then one of us return a opposing opinion ...Well defenses go up and the real nasties come out....give it a rest....It isn't a test...nor a contest...just opinions doesn't mean you have to be right all the time but being respectful of others opinions would be nice

Please Grow, dont insult my intelligence. It is 100% clear from what you have posted in this thread that your comments were directed squarely at me and the buck I shot on last Saturday.

I havent even given my opinion on this situation, but I will say that from the sounds of it, the two are completely different, and had I been in the op's shoes, I dont know for sure if I would have taken the shot or not. I wasnt there, so I cant say for sure either way. I sure as heck would have put more effort into searching for the deer, and I would have been on the phone with DSI the next day.

Now as for what the weather was when he took the shot, personally, I wouldnt have been out there with a bow in that weather. With a gun, hell yes, but not a bow. Tracking gets too tricky and for me, I am too nervous about a marginal shot with a bow to take the chance. Just my opinion, not passing judgement.