Guess they can't read posted signs.

Skillet

Anybody else running into a lot of trepass issues this year? We've got 34 acres in Naples, not much, but enough for 2 guys if you hunt it smart. I only get out there from thurs - sun, but there is almost always evidence of somebody else using the property. Cigarette butts in my treestands, boot tracks, food wrappers, etc. The deer have really gotten wary, and I know it's not from me, some of my stands (the ones with cig butts especially) have totally stopped producing. It's gotta be some jerk who knows I'm not there during the week. Nothing I love better than being up in my stand and having 4 wheelers go screaming thru the woods. By the time you get down to confront them, they're gone, and they sure as hell aren't gonna stop and talk to you. It's not even like I would've necessarily said no to these guys if they would ask, but now I'll never say yes to anyone because of a couple bad eggs. Just wondering if anyone else has had any problems this year.

Sorry to hear this ,but happens everyewhere and all the time. It is the reason I sold my 40 acres I used to have near liberty, ny. I had food plots, created a swamp area for bedding and water source, and besides always seeing proof of trespassers, I once caught a guy, and he told me he knew the owner for years. It almost turned into a fist fight, and really could of ended up worse with guns involved. Yes i did call dec, by the time they arrived he was gone. Had a friend who had somebody arrested , which was a local, and had constant vandalism to his house when he was not there. It is a real tough issue, I would try to go up during the week and see if you meet them, and would be polite about it. This should be done , before rifle season, as you do not want to get involved with this issue once guns are involved.

Good Luck

I wish I could get a plate #. There is never any cars there while I am at camp. I wonder if it is guys from other camps that are sneaking over, but most of the neighbors are cool. One exception is the guy up the road, he wanted to have permission to use our land, but posted his up tight. I still catch those idiots sneaking around. Last May, his kid with his girlfriend was set up in our meadow with a turkey deke, and he tried to tell me that he wasn't hunting, just passing through. I asked him why he was there, he said "this is a legal right of way, and we're just going thru to the land on the other side of yours". No such right of way exists, and god help you if you get caught on THEIR land. IDK, maybe it's them, but like it was said earlier, they are locals. Not good to piss off the locals. Frustrating.

• Like 1

people should respect others property.

I know, people should just ask. They would be surprised by the answers they receive...

I know there are some guys out there that would rather trespass than just ask permission. Must be a bad social disorder or fear of rejection?

Skillet couldn't you ride around and try to look for the 4 wheelers, maybe you could see what house or camp they are from and pay them a visit?

Trespassing is bad enough but to then ride a 4 wheeler through and potentially rip up anothers property is even worse to me.

Don't go pointing fingers at the locals unless you have hard evidence of who is trespassing.

Don't go pointing fingers at the locals unless you have hard evidence of who is trespassing.

huh? I ment maybe the four wheelers can found nearby, I have no way of knowing where the guys are from.

It is funny sometimes when you see out of towners blame locals and locals blame out of towners..hehe it sure is somebody!

I got a pic of a guy on my cams last year. Really pissed me off. Since then ive installed cameras in my parking area that takes pics of anyone making a visit. you can do this with trail cams too as mentioned earlier. Probably the biggest factor in keeping people off your property is getting in tight with a local neighbor. We are also putting up farm gates with a lock at the entrance to our property so people have to walk 200 yards to get to my hunting grounds.

I have 125 I hunt in Middletown and last years my buddy left his climbing stand chained to a tree. So on opening morn he goes out to his stand and there is a guy climbing up the tree. My buddy asks what is he donig and the guy tells him that he is trespassing and that this is his stand . Just goes to show you people don't care where they hunt.

I have 125 I hunt in Middletown and last years my buddy left his climbing stand chained to a tree. So on opening morn he goes out to his stand and there is a guy climbing up the tree. My buddy asks what is he donig and the guy tells him that he is trespassing and that this is his stand . Just goes to show you people don't care where they hunt.

lol, that is just insane... what happened after that?

@

danboy

Hey where do you hunt in mtown?... I live in Middletown but hunt pinebush/montgomery. I have never seen so many big bucks then this year. Orange county holds some monsters!!! My buddy just got a 125" in Maybrook. Also yeah this tress passing issue sounds really annoying. I hunt my buddies land and we dont have any issues. If i owned my own land and had that issue I would make there life a living hell!

i found 2x6 's with 16d nail driven up thru them in a x pattern burried in the trail works well to discourage 4 wheelers they tried to go around them once and found a second set 10 yards further down the trail.. peals the tires right of the rims.. if your around they're easy to catch then! if not replacing tires a few times tends to keep em off...

I hunt about ten min. from exit 119 on bowser rd.

@

danboy

Hey where do you hunt in mtown?... I live in Middletown but hunt pinebush/montgomery. I have never seen so many big bucks then this year. Orange county holds some monsters!!! My buddy just got a 125" in Maybrook. Also yeah this tress passing issue sounds really annoying. I hunt my buddies land and we dont have any issues. If i owned my own land and had that issue I would make there life a living hell!

I hunt a ten min from exit 119 on bowser rd. As for the guy in the tree stand when my buddy got on the radio and when everyone said they are on the way to his stand the guy took off like a buck in rut after a doe.

Edited by danboy

Trespassers are a pain. I have confronted a good number. I always set my gun down before approaching them as you do not want guns in the mix. As a local who confronts locals it is especially annoying. I make my approach obvious and stand close enough that they can't raise their gun either. Have yet to get the DEC involved, but will if I catch repeat offenders. Maybe point cameras at the stands you are finding cigarette butts. Be stern too. I normally ask them what they are doing then if they have permission. As it is my family's land I know the correct answer to that question, but ask anyways.

It is surprising how some respond. One guy pointed to the neighboring property and asked if my family owned it, I responded "No, we rent it." He actually told me he could hunt there then. I smirked and looked him in the eye. I told him, "You CANNOT hunt there without permission, and I will be informing the land owner of your behavior." We got the landowners permission and posted the property the following day. :) I have a feeling they still sneak onto our property, but if so they will be caught eventually and the DEC will be involved. Arrogant trespassers are the worst, the funny thing is they feel my family wronged them.

first you dont need to wait for the conservation officers( DEC) to show up, call the local PD, they can handle tresspassers just as good as any other cop. and 2nd,, if you plan on "booby traaping" trails for quads( nails in boards) or making a stand so that its unsafe................enjoy your land while you own it, cause if its ever proven that you set " traps" for people......you're gonna be on the wrong side of the law

first you dont need to wait for the conservation officers( DEC) to show up, call the local PD, they can handle tresspassers just as good as any other cop. and 2nd,, if you plan on "booby traaping" trails for quads( nails in boards) or making a stand so that its unsafe................enjoy your land while you own it, cause if its ever proven that you set " traps" for people......you're gonna be on the wrong side of the law

around here, the nearest pd is neary 20 mies away, and they wont do squat with hunting issues, dec is aways a over it.