Scope for 30-06

littlebird13

I am looking for another scope for my 30-06, I want something in the 4-16x50 range. And if possible want to stay under $300 I have searched a little and came up with a few.Heres some i have found

Just wondering if anyone has used any of these and your thoughts

Barska Varmit 4-16x50

Simmons Predator Quest 4.5-18x44

Vortex Crossfire 4-16x50 AO

Pentax 4-16x50 Gameseeker II

Any other ideas would be appreciated

thanks

Kenny

<<SIGH>>

What possible advantage is there to have such a HIGH MAG variable scope on a hunting rifle.. A 30-06...?? Do you intend to shoot prairie dogs and ground squirrels at long range with it ? 16 power..?? 18 power ???

Good grief, Kid...You would be much better served with a good quality fixed power 4X scope than some of the cheap, over powered, oversized monstronsities that you listed.

If you feel you MUST have a variable, get a Burris, Leupold or Nixon in 2 x 7 or 3 x 9.. You'll have a much better hunting rig. I am assuming that are shooting deer and possibly larger critters. A quality 4X like the Leupold M8 gives plenty of magnification for precision shots out to 300 yards ++. How far do you intend to shoot ??

littlebird 13...Please forgive me if I sounded a little severe... Keep in mind that I am an opininated old fart.

However, for some reason, there seems to be the opinion that the HIGHER the magnification is on a riflescope, the BETTER it is.

That is absolutely false as far as big game hunting goes. I cannot imagine needing a magnification above 9 power for any big game hunting inside 400 yards.

I have killed big game at ranges from point blank to 400 yards with fixed power 4X and 6X scopes (Leopolds). My BIG scope is a Burris 2x7.

I think most hunters would be better served with a QUALITY scope in lower magnifications, than low or medium end variable with higher magnification.

If you are shooting small critters, like woodhucks, the higher mag is a definite advantage. For shooting stuff the size of whitetails or even pronghorns, it is not necessary.

I have the nikon buckmaster with the new reticle..And i love it i have hit my pratice target at allmost 400 yards with my 30-06 and nikon buckmaster scope.I am going to get a 243 and put the pro staff on their and see how it compares to the buckmaster.Nikon is the way to go for me my 30-06 power broke the reticle in my old bushnell scope.I will never again buy anything with bushnells name on it!!!

I agree that you probably dont need the 50mm for deer hunting. The large objective lenses like 40 and 50mms are for light gathering. I use mine for hunting coyotes and fox at night. On my deer guns, I have 32mm objectives. Just my opinion though, I know guys that love the bigger objectives on their deer guns. I like having the adjustable magnification, just remember to keep it on low power and crank it up if you need it.

I looked on swfa and this one would be a great all around scope.

http://swfa.com/Vort...ope-P10826.aspx

50's are good for lower light situations, otherwise 40mm is just as good too. The newer scopes with the better coatings may gather more light and transmit it back through the eye more efficiently. I have a 40mm Nikon Monarch on my 700 Buckmaster that gathers more light than my 50 mm Nikon Prostaff on my Vanguard Back Country. Good glass is great, great glass is better.

<<SIGH>>

What possible advantage is there to have such a HIGH MAG variable scope on a hunting rifle.. A 30-06...?? Do you intend to shoot prairie dogs and ground squirrels at long range with it ? 16 power..?? 18 power ???

Good grief, Kid...You would be much better served with a good quality fixed power 4X scope than some of the cheap, over powered, oversized monstronsities that you listed.

If you feel you MUST have a variable, get a Burris, Leupold or Nixon in 2 x 7 or 3 x 9.. You'll have a much better hunting rig. I am assuming that are shooting deer and possibly larger critters. A quality 4X like the Leupold M8 gives plenty of magnification for precision shots out to 300 yards ++. How far do you intend to shoot ??

i definately agree

I had a straight 4x40 Swift on my .30-06. It is a nice scope but I decided I wanted a variable so I put the Swift on my muzzle loader and stuck a Bushnell 3-9x40 on the '06. I don't remember what I paid for the Swift but you want a variable anyway so it would be different, but they seem to be nice scopes.

your original post mentioned the Barska brand.......as strange as it may be, especially coming from someone whose father always put Leopold on every gun, he gave me a .308 a few weeks back and we took it to the club to shoot. He ended up mounting a Barska Colorado 3-9x40 on it. This is honestly one of the best scopes I have shot. The clarity is unreal, the adjustments on it are awesome and easy to use and the scope is very receptive. I would defiantly recommend it especially with the calibers being so closely related in a lot of aspects of a rifle round.

The best part is you can get the scope from the sportsman’s guide for under $30